Hi Tech Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Tech Devices

Ok so lets hear it. What is that one (or two) gadgets that you take camping that makes your trip more enjoyable?

Mine is the portable fridge/freezer unit. Not having to lug around ice and find more during the trip is awesome. Plus we can have ice cream in the woods and no soggy food.

Next would be the on demand hot water heater. I love warm showers.

Re: Hi Tech Devices

For me it's gotta be the solar setup. Powers the lights, a fan, the stereo, charges everyone's phone and more.

For your shower maybe?

Comment

I looked at the zodi but ended up with this

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/aqu...le-shower.html

How much would a good solar setup run me?

Comment

Originally posted by lcookie View Post

Being a Big Buddy fan, I'm somehow surprised that I didn't know Mr Heater also made a water heater. That looks a lot nicer than the Zodi offerings.

Solar setups vary according to need, so pricing one depends on what all you need to power up.

My setup:
        100-watt panel $149
        10 Amp MPPT Controller $70
        55 Amp Hour Gel Cell Battery $110
        300 watt pure sine power inverter $200
        10 gauge wire, aluminum angle for legs, MP4 connectors, battery clips, nuts and bolts ~$70

You might not need a 100 watt panel or power inverter, could get by with a lower cost PWM controller and not need a large reserve battery so the cost for a system doesn't have to be that high. On the other hand, if you want to run an air conditioner, a microwave oven or other heavy draw AC devices, you could easily spend a lot more.
        Last edited by MacGyver; 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM.

Comment

No AC on the solar setup. When it is hot I plan to stay local at sites with full hookups. The solar would be a good alternative to the generator to recharge my boat batteries and small electronics at the powerless sites.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

My hi tech must have is the Clipper. State of the art with all the latest for 1975! :great:
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Wow, I want that. Sadly my wife will have me committed if I buy any more "high-tech" camping gear.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Funny. It was my wife that pushed me to go all hi tech.

Comment

I was gonna say my Kindle, but you guys have got me beat all to hell and back.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

No AC on the solar setup. When it is hot I plan to stay local at sites with full hookups. The solar would be a good alternative to the generator to recharge my boat batteries and small electronics at the powerless sites.

Thanks for the info.
                    You're welcome.

You didn't specify, but if you're talking about deep cycle batteries for running electric motors on a boat, you basically have two options to go solar. One panel per battery with an MPPT controller (because MPPT controllers boost the charge over PWM controllers) OR you can miss a lot of running time while your battery(ies) get topped off. Trolling motors take a deep draw from your reserve and it takes quite a while to get back to full. On top of that, you'll have to hope you get full sun, otherwise, you'll still probably be waiting to top off.

If you're at a site with full hookups, why not just take the typical 10 amp chargers with you?

Comment

Yes deep cycle batteries on the boat. I was refering to the small sites in my area where there is no power. If I do go solar I will look into that advance charging system.

Comment

To charge my electronics, etc., I picked up a portable power pack (air compressor, jump starter, inverter for 2-120v outlets and 2-12v outlets, and light) for less than $100.

I made a little setup in the RV. I attached a power strip to the wall under my dinette table and have my mp3 player dock and speakers plugged into the strip. The power strip is plugged into the RV's 120v outlet when I'm connected to shore power, and to the power pack when I'm not. Then I have extra outlets in the strip to plug in the laptop, phone, kindle, etc. When I'm connected to shore power, I plug the power pack into the strip, so its battery recharges.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My setup is, by almost all standards, pretty low tech. My high-end, tech device? A Sawyer Mini Filter?
                          Moss Big Dipper
                          Alaskan Guide 8
                          Alaskan Guide 6
                          NorthFace Tadpole 23
                          ALPS Exteme 3
                          Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Wow, high tech for me is the new propane stove. I retired my old white gas Coleman after 30 years.

Comment

My hi tech is still in the planning stage. I'm a tent camper that pulls a small 5x8 trailer with all my gear. I'm planning on mounting 2 solar panels on top of it along with a small battery bank inside (with controller, inverter, etc) and being able to bring power with me on all my trips. I love being outdoors but I like to bring some of the comforts of home along.

Comment

Working...
                              X