slippery sleeping bags with mat on slopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slippery sleeping bags with mat on slopes

We sleep with therma rest mats and our sleeping bags constantly slide because the camp site we stay at is always slightly on an incline. How can we stop from sliding all night long?

Re: slippery sleeping bags with mat on slopes

Ah, the dreaded wake-up in the corner of the tent, off of the pad. Although I haven't tried these due to lack of need, I have read about a couple of ways to keep you on your pad:

One is to use McNett's SeamGrip. Wash/dry the surface of the pad. Create a pattern of small dots on the surface of the pad. Place more around your torso/hip area where your weight is and allow them to dry a day. Start small and add more dots if needed. Of course, you end up with rubbery dots on your pad....so you may not want to do this to your pad. Also, if the pad slides on the tent floor, you can add a few dots on that side.

A second possible solution depends on your bag. Some sleeping bags have a couple of loops down each sides. Connect a strap from one loop, run it under the pad, and then attach it to the opposite side loop.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

A possible cheap and easy solution would be to try some anti-slip mat, like the kind you put under area rugs. I know most dollar stores have small rolls you could try.

Comment

It depends on which ThermaRest you buy. Some are slippery and require a spray texture, some like "Stay-Tek" have a non-slip surface from the factory.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hoosier's method is pretty much de rigeur for BPers, although the exact method of application varies. You can make some seam sealer by mixing silicone sealant (I always have a tube of GE type 2 on hand b/c of my aquarium hobby) half and half with mineral spirits. Apply with a small paint brush.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Sorry didn't specify..its actually the sleeping bag material that is so slippery. The bags are extremely slippery, its a Teton
            And a luxury map pad
            Last edited by sdm74; 06-12-2015, 04:56 PM. Reason: added something

Comment

That's a standard problem with sleeping bags. You might try making a pillowcase for your sleeping bag. Use a lightweight but non slippery fabric, size it to just slightly larger than the width dimensions of your bag and just shorter than the length. Sew the bottom and one side all the way up and about 1-6 inches up the second side, then use velcro to close the rest of the second side. Leave the top separate.

Slide your sleeping bag into it with the zipper side on the velcro side. Then lay it on the mat. The sleeping bag will slide a big IN the pillowcase, but the pillowcase won't slide off the mat.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Ha, this is such a common problem. The solution is cheap and easy, but I never seem to have it when I need it:

Get the rubber cupboard mats and put them on the floor of your tent and the top of your Thermarest. Dollar Tree has them as does Walmart and many stores that sell cupboard mats. It works "so-so" for me because I move around a lot in my sleep and they eventually curl up like old leaves.

Comment

Are you guys sure that the problem is sliding? If there is a hill when you are sleeping I think it is because of how you roll about in the night that makes you wake up piled in the corner of the tent
                  A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Originally posted by RAND0M1ZER View Post
                    Are you guys sure that the problem is sliding? If there is a hill when you are sleeping I think it is because of how you roll about in the night that makes you wake up piled in the corner of the tent
                    My guess is you never slept in a sleeping bag with that nylon exterior on a pad on a slight incline. I was literally holding on the pad so I wouldn't slide down!

Comment

That was my first thought, no-slip shelf liner, a couple dollars per roll at Walmart. The white sticky rubbery material stuff.
                      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                      Nights under the stars:
                      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sdm74 View Post
                        My guess is you never slept in a sleeping bag with that nylon exterior on a pad on a slight incline. I was literally holding on the pad so I wouldn't slide down!
                        Ah Nylon, maybe a sleeping mat would work then.
                        A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

I've found that the shelf liner (or even the under rug stuff) doesn't really hold the nylon. That nylon is just so slick that nothing seems to hold it
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            I've found that the shelf liner (or even the under rug stuff) doesn't really hold the nylon. That nylon is just so slick that nothing seems to hold it
                            Exactly, why do they make bags of that material? Its a real nice roomy bag but just so slippery!

Comment

I never liked them. I always got the heavy cloth sleeping bags. They don't slip and slide and they aren't freezing when you climb in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X