Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleep

Buy once and cry once. I can think of many times in my younger years when I decided to forego quality for affordability. I can also remember how many times I would upgrade a year later then upgrade a year after that.

I'm convinced the best strategy is to buy the best you can from the gitgo. It will outperform lesser quality and, in the end, you'll probably spend the same amount. Why not enjoy the benefits from the start?
    Moss Big Dipper
    Alaskan Guide 8
    Alaskan Guide 6
    NorthFace Tadpole 23
    ALPS Exteme 3
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Or you could just get some Ambien. Then you won't care what you are sleeping on. ;-)

Comment

My son started using a hammock, with a tarp to keep the rain off. He swears by his system. Hammocks are generally cheap - I'm gonna try it. Yeah, the convenient tree thing can be a problem, but it won't be an expensive experiment.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I use this setup and like it. In the rain keep the fly low and tight on the hammock and you will stay dry. I hang the fly a little higher if I am confident there will be no rain.

Comment

What about mosquitoes?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
              What about mosquitoes?
              I have a mosquito net attached to a ridgeline above the hammock. It can be positioned anywhere along the ridgeline but it covers the entire hammock area. You can see it better in this photo. I think I got it for $20 on Amazon.

Comment

It is always hard getting sleep when your camping in a tent. You travel light so you don't want anything bulky. A thick sleeping bag helps or if your in a wooded area a hammock can keep your off the hard ground but then your not in your tent.

Comment

... for me, the tents are for vehicle camping...
                  I don't worry much about the weight.
                  So far the best cot pad I've found is a 3 or 4 inch thick "egg crate" style pad from a hospital.
                  Its about 18" or 2 feet in diameter when rolled.

I sleep well in the woods. When I hike, its normally from a base camp, setup near the Jeep or truck.

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                    I have a mosquito net attached to a ridgeline above the hammock. It can be positioned anywhere along the ridgeline but it covers the entire hammock area. You can see it better in this photo. I think I got it for $20 on Amazon.

I returned to camping with that exact same tent. I kind of miss it and wish I wouldn't of given it away.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                    X