Father/Son Tent camping trip in Southern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father/Son Tent camping trip in Southern California

I'm new to this forum and haven't had a chance to explore too much, but I wanted to ask this question:

Where is a good place to take my 8-year old son camping? I'm looking for a place that has a number of possible activities (fishing, hiking, swimming, running around) to keep said 8-year old occupied.

We just completed a 3-night cub scout family camp over the Memorial holiday weekend and her said it was the best camping trip EVER!!! But, it also included BB guns, archery, fishing, sling shots and a large open field where he could play with his fellow scouts.

I want to take him on a weekend (two-night) campout somewhere within or near Orange County.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Re: Father/Son Tent camping trip in Southern California

Hi Nathan and Welcome to the Forum!

I would start by looking at CA state parks. I'm sure you can locate a campground that offers all of the items you listed (fishing, hiking, swimming, and running around). Spending one on one time with your son camping/fishing/hiking etc is a great way to tighten that bond and practice skills he will find useful in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, should he continue scouting. My son is almost 11 and we always have fun. Some of our best times are the conversations around the campfire.

Perhaps our resident Southern California camper, tplife, will chime in with some additional places.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Heck, there's some great national parks over there, too!
      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
      Nights under the stars:
      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Good responses above.
        Just plug into your local online tourist board and goooooo!
        This might help:

http://www.visittheoc.com/things-to-...-and-outdoors/
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
        X