Let hear it for Memorial Day camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let hear it for Memorial Day camping

Who's going camping Memorial Day weekend and where you going?

Re: Let hear it for Memorial Day camping

Too many people. And noise.

Comment

We leave the weekends and holidays for families with kids. We normally arrive on Monday and leave on Friday.
      Nights camping in 2013-----12
      Nights camping in 2014----- 4
      Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

I do 3 days at a friends place with a group. There are 40 acres along a river. He has built a nice off grid cabin on it and has carved out about 10 campsites for friends. We eat drink and sit by the fire, a few kayak and some hike. Just a great weekend with friends.

Comment

I seem to live to forget to book a campsite for Memorial Day. Sigh. Guess it'll be a hot time in the city.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We will be camping 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after (I work every other weekend so I have that weekend off. Only holiday this year I think!).

We are skipping camping that weekend.
            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
            Nights under the stars:
            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Personally, I avoid travel on highways and the campgrounds during all major holidays - I don't do large crowds.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                Personally, I avoid travel on highways and the campgrounds during all major holidays - I don't do large crowds.
                I enjoy camping on long weekends since it gives me a few solid days of non-work. However I despise traveling during that time so we have a routine: travel to on Wednesday and return home on Tuesday. Since I'm self employed it's a bit easier to juggle the days. The crowds at the campground don't bother me much though since it is what it is.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I tend to skip the big holiday camping weekends just because I can easily go at other times. I figure let those who only have the holiday weekends to camp have the campsites.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I usually avoid camping on holiday weekends, but as it turns out, this coming Memorial Day is when everyone in my group got the time to go. So it looks like I'll be getting a rare 5 day trip in. Fortunately, there are enough sites where we go that we'll be away from all the "part timers".

Comment

Fortunately, being retired now means I am not confined to the weekends. A working friend once asked what I did on 'weekends'? I told him "Every day is a weekend!" :-)
                      The only major holiday weekend I used to camp on was the MLK weekend, since we had an annual motorcycle meet/camp/ride get together each January. Then they changed it to February, then to March. Blew away the entire reason for the original concept (a mid-winter meet for those normally not able to ride up north), so it died. Alas.
                      Now I just camp occasionally for personal pleasure, and solitude. Crowds negate both.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I will be taking my wife and two boys canoe camping in Michigan. We have a site reserved on the banks of a large "pond" (about 4 miles long) off the Au Sable River in Michigan. Our campsite is about a mile and a half from the parking area. It is a good way to get out on the holiday weekend and the dispersed site affords us a modicum of privacy and solitude!
                        Last edited by Mellow Man; 05-27-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Au Sable River is such a beautiful area. Enjoy the quiet.

Comment

I will stay as far away as possible, actually changing my schedule so that I can have a couple of weekdays off so that I can get away from the crowds as I'd much rather work the weekends.

Comment

Well I'm completely new to camping, only my second time at one night each. We will be camping at Croton Point Park.

Comment

Working...
                              X