screen house or tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen house or tent?

This will be the first time I've camped in years. My girlfriend and I are going to Arizona for a week to visit family at the beginning of June, and are planning on doing one night of dispersed camping in New Mexico one night on the way there and one night on the way back. We were thinking about getting a screen house to sleep in instead of a tent for the ventilation and space. Because of the climate, we aren't too worried about rain, but if it does happen and we get desperate, we can climb in my car. Are there any distinct pros or cons to a tent or a screen house? Also, any general tips would be nice. I'd like to hunt for our food those nights, but will be sure to bring hot dogs or something in case I am not successful or hunting isn't allowed where we decide to settle in.

Re: screen house or tent?

For 2 nights of dispersed camping I suppose a screen tent would be fine but try to get one with a floor. You said you are not worried about rain but what about nighttime temperatures?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

we already bought a tent. there wasnt a screen house with a floor cheap enough for us.

Comment

And creatures?

Comment

Camping in the south and southwest always means camping with critters. It is curious that places that look like they have the least life - like deserts - are usually the most full of life when the lights go out. Snakes, scorpions, spiders, chiggers, ticks, and vermin of all kinds start moving in the night. If I was going to sleep in a floorless screen tent, I would surely sleep on a cot that separates me from the ground.

Comment

For years before I got married I slept directly on the ground with no tent or screen here in AZ. Once I got stung by a scorpion in my sleeping bag and once found a garden snake tucked under me.

Comment

You could opt for a tent that has a very open design that's mostly screen and likely comes with a very generous rain fly... And just leave off the rainfly.

Lots of air, see the stars, no critters.
              Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
              Nights under the stars:
              2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
              2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Working...
              X