I need kid sleep options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need kid sleep options

My older two (age 6 and 8) sleep on old yoga-style mats and they're happy with that. My 3.5yo outgrew her pack & play and we need something... workable.

We had the Regalo My Cot. Great concept, except it kept falling apart. One corner kept unhooking all night, causing her to wake up (read: causing an entire campground to wake up!!) Then we tried a nap mat, but she outgrow it in a flash. She's the size of a 5-6 year old (41lbs, 39-40").

I need something cot-ish, not an air mattress, high enough off the ground that she has an established "boundary" so to speak. Fold up small-ish, durable, virtually indestructible. Comfortable enough that it doesn't need anything underneath except maybe a thin sheet--it'll be highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s when we camp.

Heck, if it's cheap enough, and compact enough, I'll get them for the boys too (47-50lbs, 46-49" tall).

THANKS!
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: I need kid sleep options

Check out the Byer Allagash Cot. They're lower to the ground than a standard cot and will support most adults. There shouldn't be any issues with breaking or coming apart. I've had one for several years and haven't had any problems. Byer makes some great products. If you want something full height, I highly recommend their Easy Cot. I have one of those as well and it's equally indestructible. And both are as comfortable as anything I've ever taken out on a camping trip.

Comment

Thermarest has a beautiful cot they're selling, but it's Gosh-Awful expensive! The Luxury-Lite Mesh cot, only a few inches off the ground and around $200.00. Ideal for heat-of-summer camping when you want maximum airflow.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        Thermarest has a beautiful cot they're selling, but it's Gosh-Awful expensive! The Luxury-Lite Mesh cot, only a few inches off the ground and around $200.00. Ideal for heat-of-summer camping when you want maximum airflow.
        I don't know that I'd recommend the Thermarests for children. Yeah - they're super nice - but made mostly for backpackers who are decidedly comfort driven. But their lighter weight fabric and nylon legs are meant for more static loads, not a child who is more than likely prone to flopping down on a bed. Even the instructions that come with the cots speak to their somewhat delicate construction.

"Sit down to get into cot. Do not jump or slide into cot, which can cause feet to splay. Once you are in the cot, you can roll freely from side to side. When getting out of your cot, avoid pushing off on the side poles between the feet, which can generate lateral force and splay feet sideways."
        Last edited by MacGyver; 02-10-2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I don't know - perhaps there are more than one model. The one I examined last week at Sport Chalet was quite overbuilt, made to take a pounding, and felt like it would take a lot of use & abuse. I laughed out loud once I confirmed this ThermaRest product had no R-value: It waxed about its ability to deliver in hot/humid environments.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
            I don't know - perhaps there are more than one model. The one I examined last week at Sport Chalet was quite overbuilt, made to take a pounding, and felt like it would take a lot of use & abuse. I laughed out loud once I confirmed this ThermaRest product had no R-value: It waxed about its ability to deliver in hot/humid environments.
            I've only seen two models advertised. One is "regular", the other ultra light. I've had both set up in local stores and just don't see them as a viable option for children. Like a lot of lightweight gear, they require a little extra care to keep them in good working order. Don't get me wrong - If it weren't for the over-the-top price, I would have bought one for myself. But, again, I think it would be an expensive mistake to have young children climbing in and out of these cots. Trying to get them to appreciate the concept of TLC with camping gear (or almost anything, really) is something that comes when they're older.

Comment

I think back to when my kids were that age...definitely harder on equipment (although I still see adults do some strange things when something doesn't "fit" right as they try to assemble it).

NOTE: I have not used a cot since I was kid camping with my folks, so I have no first hand experience here...

Possible option for you to check out: Mountain Trails Base Camp Cot, at $35.99, a slightly less expensive option than the Byer of Maine cot: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Trail..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I would hunt around online regardless of what cot you select...there are always someone running a special or giving % off for signing up for their emails.

However, after reading some of the reviews, I personally would spend the extra $20 or so and get the Byer of Maine Allagash Plus Cot that MacGyver referenced. The Byer Allagash seems to be easier/faster to set-up and take down. It does not pack down as small as the Mountain Trails cot for storage as the Byer just folds, but that means less work involved in setting it up/taking it down. She can use this cot for years. Also good for unexpected house guests, sleep overs, etc.

TP - I took an online look at that Therm-a-rest...it is a very fine cot. NICE!!! I am sure it is durable and super comfortable, but for the price...I would be the one using it, not my kids. lol. That cot also pack down to a very small size.

MacGyver beat me to this thought...but I am still trying to teach my 10 year son on how to properly handle/use the gear we own and how to take care of it so it lasts....but it's an evolving process as he matures and gains the necessary skills/strength. I could see him at age 4 seeing a cot as a trampoline. lol
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The only issue I had with the Allagash was with the legs. They're narrow and tend to dig into the floor. Not good. So I put some fairly thick foam strips under them. The legs dig a bit into the foam, securing them in place. Definitely not as much of a problem with a child's weight on the cot.

That Mountain Trails cot looks like the same as the Byer except that it doesn't fold in half. Never having seen one, my only question would be about the fabric durability and the stitching. But it still looks like a bargain at that price.
                Last edited by MacGyver; 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  The only issue I had with the Allagash was with the legs. They're narrow and tend to dig into the floor. Not good. So I put some fairly thick foam strips under them. The legs dig a bit into the foam, securing them in place. Definitely not as much of a problem with a child's weight on the cot.

That Mountain Trails cot looks like the same as the Byer except that it doesn't fold in half. Never having seen one, my only question would be about the fabric durability and the stitching. But it still looks like a bargain at that price.
                  Another reason why this site is great. Cannot beat real world experience and practical solutions. No where did I see mention anything about the legs on the Byer.

Yea, I don't have any info regarding the fabric durability and stitching on the Mountain Trails cot. IF I'm buying something sight unseen, esp something pricey, I make sure that the selling company has a return policy that is generous and simple. Many times you never know until you can physically inspect the item. However, the "South American River" company generally makes it easy for a return.
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Oy. The other half and I have the REI Kingdom 6, and we are about to have it to ourselves.

I'm banishing the kids to their own tent. Which means I had to upgrade.

I ended up with this for my youngest:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This for the boys:

And this for the kids to sleep in:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2R3C9EKLQ57PZ
                    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                    Nights under the stars:
                    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
                      Oy. The other half and I have the REI Kingdom 6, and we are about to have it to ourselves.

I'm banishing the kids to their own tent. Which means I had to upgrade.

I ended up with this for my youngest:

This for the boys:

And this for the kids to sleep in:
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2R3C9EKLQ57PZ
                      I remember the first camp trip when this occurred for my wife and I...ahhhhhhhh. I think the 2 tent solution is ideal once the kids get old enough to be in their own tent. More room for everyone.

Good pick on the Byer - I would trust MacGyver's advice. I also really like the functionality of that bunk cot you selected for your boys. Neat that it can set up as a sofa also. Great thinking and solution!!! Now all the kids will have new sleep gear and a new tent to boot! No arguing! lol

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X