Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana canvas

http://goo.gl/tB7Tqd

I am still on my search for a canvas tent for our expeditions and came across this tent from Montana canvas. It was appealing because of the lightweight design, and it will provide all the space I need for our groups. Has anyone owned a tent from this brand, and how well do they hold up?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Montana canvas

I've never owned either, but just to possibly make your decision a little harder , check out Davis Tents. Before I went with the Kodiak, I did a lot of looking at wall tents and I recall seeing quite a few people saying that, while both the Montanas and the Davis tents got high praise, Davis was favored a bit more as "better value for the money".

Comment

No experience with that tent
      But seems pricey considering its 28 lbs
      Partial canvas and no poles/floor

Comment

No experience with that particular brand, but before I went with my Kodiak, I had a 12x14 wall tent, with a m1949 stove. I guess for mountain winter camps it would be awesome, but for weekend camping trips, it was just to much. You will spend HOURS putting it together. But we had 80mph gusts and the tent shook, but stayed down. Some popups were blown off their leveling pads that night. I am a electrician, so I got the 1"emt for free, so I just bought the canvas and the frame fittings. Don't know what kind of camping you are doing, but it was over kill for me.
        This is the brand I had.
        http://www.reliabletent.com/products...rn-wall-tents/
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Gearspoke - How many people are you looking to get into the tent?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            Gearspoke - How many people are you looking to get into the tent?
            Anywhere from 6 to 8 people, usually two being kids. We take people out for weeklong trips in the high mountains out here in Washington. It's been really nice this winter, but it still gets pretty cold at night and we need something we can all fit in with a small wood stove.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
              Anywhere from 6 to 8 people, usually two being kids. We take people out for weeklong trips in the high mountains out here in Washington. It's been really nice this winter, but it still gets pretty cold at night and we need something we can all fit in with a small wood stove.
              Was just curious if you needed a wall tent. Looks to me like you definitely do.

I've been going back and forth between the Davis Tent and Montana Canvas sites and I have to say, I don't remember the prices being so far apart. Among other things, Davis appears to be offering fire, water and mildew treated canvas for around the same price as Montana's plain canvas and Relite. Relite is a Montana exclusive material that is supposedly very wear and UV resistant, but I personally can't see it being worth all the extra cash. I don't worry too much about UV degradation for any tent because I always put up a tarp, if for no other reason than to keep tree sap and stuff from falling in the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Was just curious if you needed a wall tent. Looks to me like you definitely do.

I've been going back and forth between the Davis Tent and Montana Canvas sites and I have to say, I don't remember the prices being so far apart. Among other things, Davis appears to be offering fire, water and mildew treated canvas for around the same price as Montana's plain canvas and Relite. Relite is a Montana exclusive material that is supposedly very wear and UV resistant, but I personally can't see it being worth all the extra cash. I don't worry too much about UV degradation for any tent because I always put up a tarp, if for no other reason than to keep tree sap and stuff from falling in the tent.
                That makes a lot of sense, I am always interested in saving money by avoiding gimmicky features. I read up a little on relite and it's nothing worth the extra money like you said. I'm definitely going to start browsing the davis tent website and see what I can find.

Comment

If you do go with it, you can look for 1" emt on Craigslist. Or if you know some electricians that are local, they might be able to help. If you put a tarp over it, you can extend it past the entrance and make it an awning as well.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

That would perfect, for week long adventures in case we tromp through mud. Might be nice to actually have a mud room as an extension to kick off those dirty boots! Thanks for the craigslist mention, there are surprising a ton of people selling 1" EMT in Bellingham! ( http://bellingham.craigslist.org/sea...20emt&sort=rel )

Comment

Working...
                    X