We're surrounded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're surrounded!

This past weekend I went scoping out a new campsite with the family at a state park and noticed one thing in particular... The park was full, but no tents to be seen. As I told the wife, I like the park & it looks like there are some really nice spots to set up, but I felt a little out of place possibly being the only tent campers in a sea of RVs. Do any of you have to "deal" with this sometimes? Do you avoid these types of parks or do you enjoy just being "the tent guy?" I considered looking elsewhere, but we're planning a beach weekend camp and this park fits what we're looking for in every aspect other than the fact that we may be the only tent around.

Re: We're surrounded!

hard to say without knowing specifics,
    if theres some elbow room wouldnt mind the RV's
    if they are crammed in, with just enough room to sit here and there, then i would get a bit claustrofobic

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      hard to say without knowing specifics,
      if theres some elbow room wouldnt mind the RV's
      if they are crammed in, with just enough room to sit here and there, then i would get a bit claustrofobic
      Some of the spaces have ample room and some are close together. We likely won't camp there unless we can reserve one of the spots we scoped as being prime for us, but my hangup is more of feeling out of place than anything else.

Comment

another factor might be time of year,
        guessing this time of year have less tent campers and more warmer hardsided campers
        if park fits what your looking for, wouldnt let the rv's get in the way,
        get out there and enjoy yourself,

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          another factor might be time of year,
          guessing this time of year have less tent campers and more warmer hardsided campers
          if park fits what your looking for, wouldnt let the rv's get in the way,
          get out there and enjoy yourself,
          That's what I was wondering as well. The park is in the Florida panhandle & full of snowbirds right now. We'll be camping in the Spring, so it may just be situational.

Comment

RVs are a real eyesore. Camping among them is like camping in a bus parking lot.

In Wisconsin, RV sites are thankfully separated from tent sites unless no tent sites are available.

IMO RVs have become a nuisance as so many old folks have discovered the RV to be a poor mans mobile apartment. By keeping on the move, they can somehow avoid some taxes.

The problem is that their seach for low rent is sending them to state and national park campgrounds where they have become a blight.

Comment

I have found that out here in Northern California, the national forests are the best for tent camping. Most of the NF campgrounds I've been to have a nice mix. Some will have a loop dedicated to tents, and others have nice "walk-up" sites that are more secluded for tenters in between RV sites.

CA State Parks seems to be catering to the RVing retiree with money. From what I've heard from employees about planned improvements at the campgrounds, they are trying to fit more of the large 30-40 ft RVs into their parks and not doing anything to encourage more tent campers.

As someone who camps in a small 21 ft RV, I much prefer to be around the tenters. I love the comforts of my RV in that I have a nice bed (that's fully enclosed - I feel too vulnerable sleeping in the open), a bathroom without going out in the cold, and no set up process. I don't partake in generators, television, scare lights, landscaping, etc. and really don't like being in campgrounds where those things are prevalent.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

As someone who camps in a small 21 ft RV, I much prefer to be around the tenters. I love the comforts of my RV in that I have a nice bed (that's fully enclosed - I feel too vulnerable sleeping in the open), a bathroom without going out in the cold, and no set up process..
                Yes, everybody wants to be around tent campers including tent campers and RV campers because it reflects what people go to the campgrounds for in the first place; camping! RVs are an eyesore and they are noisy. Honestly, RV campers should just stay in hotels and then visit the parks by day in sedan cars, then go back to their hotels at night. Either that or stay at an RV campground. RV campers are like people who cut down trees to improve the view of the forest.
                Last edited by Mike; 01-09-2015, 01:29 AM.

Comment

I think that there are 2 types of people with RVs. There are RV campers and there are RVers.

RV campers are just that - they are campers. They switched out a bunch of tents and tarps and ice chests and storage boxes/bags for a vehicle that holds all of that internally.

RVers are those who use their RV as a house. They have all the modern conveniences, they establish their "yard", they socialize with their neighbors, they park/live where they have ammenities nearby, etc. These people don't camp - they move in.

Personally (and yes I'm probably biased), I don't see the RV itself as an eyesore. It's a vehicle. It is less "trashy" looking than the tenter who has hung multiple tarps all over the campsite and has all his/her belongings all over the place.

The RV becomes an eyesore when the RVer comes along and starts homesteading - the welcome sign, lamp posts, awning lights, pink flamingos, etc.

So to clarify, I am fine camping around RV Campers. I do mind camping around RVers. I also think RVers give us RV Campers a bad name. Most of the campgrounds where I camp (national forests) have a nice mix of RV Campers and tenters. There are rarely any RVers - mostly because there is no major sightseeing attraction in the forests so the RVers stay away. Once you start heading to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc., you'll run into a lot more RVers.
                  Last edited by toedtoes; 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Well said toedtoes. There seems to be a correlation between the size of the RV and how they use their site. I have camped among large 5th wheels and big pushers and not even gotten a "hello Neighbor" out of them. It does seem, the more basic the camping setup the more out going the camper. I have camped across from a huge RV and other then seeing them drive off they never come out of their unit. Once it gets dark their inside watching TV. One guy in a big 5th wheel did make a nice fire, which he watched from the window of his trailer. Every so often he would come outside and throw another log on the fire. That guy was an RV'er.

Comment

Toedtoes, I was with you until you came after my Pink Flamingoes! :wine:
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I do like the occasional pink flamingo, but not in the forest...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	69989

I love the talking pink flamingo from Wonderfalls (a great tv show that should have gone on for years).

Comment

Good distinction, toedtoes! I think smaller vehicles/trailers are likely closer to the tent experience. I view my 14x8 ft travel trailer as a hardsided tent with amenities.
                          - Laura
                          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks. The funny thing is: if you ask an RVer, they will say there is no difference; but if you ask an RV camper, they will immediately differentiate between the two.

An RVer will call everywhere they park as a "campground". RV Campers will differentiate between "campground" and "RV park".

RV campers will point out that "walmarting" is NOT boondocking - RVers think they are one and the same.

RVers believe that you can't go too big - you'll get a divorce if you don't have multiple slides, walk-around bed, 4 televisions, 2 A/C units, and an awning. RV Campers tend to want the basics in a smaller size because "all our time is spent outdoors".

RVers will think that they are RV Campers because they like to sit outside under their awnings watching their outdoor TV with 3 dogs in a pen at their side and all their decor set up. RV Campers know that "being outdoors" means enjoying and experiencing the outdoors rather than bringing the indoors outside.

Comment

Most of the state parks that are close to the metropolitan area where I live are zoos of families camping w/small kids. Not really my idea of a retreat. I don't have kids right now so I only camp somewhere you can hike or paddle to.

Comment

Working...
                              X