Gobi Tent by CEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobi Tent by CEC

I bought a CEC Gobi about 3 years ago and its been a great tent, we have used the tent many times with no issues. This Fall the zipper on one of the doors failed. I am trying to figure out if I can replace the zipper, or if I should just replace the tent.

Besides the zipper problem the tent is in Great shape.

Been looking at other tents (mostly wall tents, with internal frames) just not sure which way to go.
    Attached Files

Re: Gobi Tent by CEC

I'd replace the zipper if you can find someone to do it reliably. Sewing a tent is not the same as sewing clothes. I'd call the manufacturer and see if they could do the work or recommend a place where you could bring it to be done correctly.

http://www.campingequipmentco.com/warranty-and-returns/

Your tent isn't under warranty but here's some information to contact the manufacturer.
    Moss Big Dipper
    Alaskan Guide 8
    Alaskan Guide 6
    NorthFace Tadpole 23
    ALPS Exteme 3
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I have used these guys for tent repair:

http://www.tentrepairservices.com/

It's the people who used to run the Moss Tent repair department. I'm sure they can handle a zipper replacement (or anything else on a tent). The problem is that the cost of the repair may not make sense, depending on the tent and its age.

Comment

Yes, the zipper can be replaced. Fabric & sewing outlets or upholstery outlets carry quality zippers and nylon thread. A HEAVY-DUTY sewing machine can sew through ripstop nylon and carry the nylon thread through the bobbin. My wife repaired one of my tents before, for her it's the same as sewing clothes. She's sewn my tarps to make 2 out of 1 before too, our machine is a heavy-duty programmable from Costco, a Brother to be exact.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

One last question on this, the tent currently has a nylon zipper but I wonder if there would be any advantages or disadvantages in going to a metal zipper?

Comment

you could always find a parachute rigger to replace a zipper. they are very use to working with rip-stop nylon. any skydiving company could refer you to one. the most you would have to do is put some seam sealer on the stitching.

Comment

Working...
            X