Camping alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping alone

I started in my early 20's and was never very skittish about it. I motorcycle camped and backpacked some in a canyon Wilderness area, then went to truck camping. Most of the time I slept out on the ground under the stars, or would pitch my tarp as a shelter if the weather was uncooperative, sometimes just toss the top half of the tarp over my bed if it started raining or snowing in the middle of the night. I spent about 10 months of each your for about 5-6 years living out like that, with other time fun camping before that period and after. The times in developed campgrounds I could count on one hand, I usually sought remote dirt roads out in National Forests that petered out into nothing, and were semi-accessible to a town but rarely had any other people around, if there were people where I wanted to camp, I'd go somewhere else so we could all enjoy the tranquility. I never had a problem with people or wildlife, though I was always prepared and armed. Even after moving to grizzly country about 25 years ago, I still sleep out under the stars some or sleep in a tent, and haven't had any troubles. I never tell anyone where or when I'm going, or when I'll be back, as it often spur of the moment and I don't decide until I see the place if I'm going to camp there. Cell phones don't work in most places I go.

The moral of the story is, camping isn't guaranteed to be safe, but is fun and interesting. I've never let any perceived risk hamper my enjoyment of it. Be smart, be prepared to take care of yourself, and go enjoy it.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-01-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
      The moral of the story is, camping isn't guaranteed to be safe, but is fun and interesting. I've never let any perceived risk hamper my enjoyment of it. Be smart, be prepared to take care of yourself, and go enjoy it.
      I absolutely agree with that. I have never met anyone who was attacked while camping - either by a wild animal or a person. I use common sense and enjoy.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thought of a good read on the subject. Calvin Rutstrum, in his book "North American Canoe Country" has a chapter titled Going Alone.

It may be available through a local library or interlibrary loan if anyone likes reading of camping in the past, and vast wild areas of Canada in the first half of the 1900's. His trips were weeks long for short ones, months long at other times, including canoeing in for days/weeks into an area with sled dogs and staple foodstuffs, building a rough cabin, shooting a moose for meat, and spending the winter living and exploring vast areas simply for the enjoyment of it, and dogsledding out at some point or canoeing out in the spring. He has quite a number of books on the general subject.

Comment

I like reading about how they used to do it. I read one about a trapper that I can't remember the name. First step of every trip was to build a cabin. That's livin'!

Comment

if you like that sort of thing, you may enjoy Rutstrums writing. Some are more "how to" sort of books, a number are a bit more general about the lifestyle and things hes learned about life. Several have chapters of bits interspersed about the ways they did things in the earlier days.

Chips from a Wilderness Log

Once upon a Wilderness

North American Canoe Country, partly how to about canoeing, partly about the lifestyle of it being wilderness travel and the people that did it back then.

The Wilderness Cabin. Partly about building cabins, partly about the lifestyle and people who lived in them at the time.

Another very enjoyable read, if you haven't come across it, is Cache Lake Country, by John Rowlands. One of my all time favorite books, and probably the most relaxing book I can think of. He was a timber cruiser (worked for a timber company looking for good country to work) in Canada in the early 1900's, and describes a year in the place he lived, the seasons and animals, what he did, the people he knew, camping, gathering, canoeing (the primary means of travel), various projects he made. I re-read this book every few years, and thoroughly enjoy it each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Ha ha, Terasec, that is cute. It sounds like camping alone is the woodsman's equivelant of spending a night in a haunted house.

For me, for some reason, I sleep much better camping deep in the wilderness than when I sleep at home. In the wilderness, I don't worry about things like work or money or bills or stuff like that. Every day living stuff is a lot more frightening than anything in the wilderness.
              Im like you. I sleep better in the woods then an ever do at home. I can turn in around midnight and will wake up at the first hint of dawn and still be fresh and ready to go. I love sleeping in the woods.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

If I am in the wilderness, the only thing that worries me is people. If I am in my tent and hear sounds that I can identify, I am not afraid (Except for wolf packs).

I have had bears come into my camp while I am in my tent and can identify their grunting and pawing. That does not scare me.

Racoons with their odd amplified cat-like purr and clumsy curiosity is easy to identify even in night time darkness and does not worry me.

However, on a couple of occassions I heard what seemed to be human steps and prowling around my ten late at night. THAT scared the HELL out of me. Besides the sound, there is just some kind of sense of human presence.

I rarely said to myself, "I wish I had a firearm" with the presence of animals - not even Big bears because animals coming into your camp is natural in the wilderness.

But when I sensed humans around my tent at night with the heavy booted two step and distinguishable breathing, I depaired that I did not have a firearm with me as I clutched my axe in trepidation and anxiety wondering what would happen next or if I should exit the tent for confrontation.
                Last edited by Mike; 11-16-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Humans are the worst animals. wild animals are predictable it's the civilized ones that scare me also

Comment

Originally posted by tramp844 View Post
                    Humans are the worst animals. wild animals are predictable it's the civilized ones that scare me also

I agree in general that humans can be the worst animals, though the wild animal thing may be different where you are.

I know, and know of, more people that have been involved in unpleasant interactions* with grizzlies than with humans. The bears are predictable,... until they aren't. Apparently the bears never read the same books that say what and why (or when) they do what they do.

*Read mauling to being killed by them.

Comment

True. Bears will never be your friend when thay come into your camp but you dont know if the human will be or not. Wild animals are not capable of being anything other than what thay are, humans are very deseptive. You will never see a real wolf wearing sheeps clothing , a human.....???

Comment

Originally posted by tramp844 View Post
                        True. Bears will never be your friend when thay come into your camp but you dont know if the human will be or not. Wild animals are not capable of being anything other than what thay are, humans are very deseptive. You will never see a real wolf wearing sheeps clothing , a human.....???

A minister friend once introduced me as a sheep in wolfs clothing.

Comment

I haven't camped solo in a campground, but I have spent several nights alone on backpacking trips (in the Grand Canyon or in National Forests, etc.).

I sadly agree that my biggest fear camping alone are two-legged creatures as opposed to wildlife.
                          Nights camping in 2014: 18
                          Nights camping in 2015: 24
                          Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

I like the idea of bringing your dog. It sounds like a relaxing getaway!
                            New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

My camping history is based on juxtaposition...

Years ago I would go camping and people would say, "You are the guy camping with the dog! That is so cool!"

After my dog passed away, people would say, "You are the weird guy camping by himself!"

Now I have a family and people say, "You are the weird guy camping with your family!" :confused:

I guess it just goes to show, the more things change, the more they stay the same!

Comment

Though I dont often get the chance I absolutly love when I get to camp alone. As for bringing a dog, some dogs are ideal others are more of a liability and like to pick fights with wild animals or draw their attention when you're trying to avoid it.

Comment

Working...
                                X