Cargo Trailer camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cargo Trailer camping

We all know there is a big difference between the equipment for backpacking and car camping. I think there may me almost as much difference between regular car camping and using a cargo trailer.

I recently got a small cargo trailer with a ramp and am just starting to consider the options that I have now that I didn't before. When I was in a big box building supply store they had a rolling tool chest on sale that I think will make a great camp kitchen. It even had a wood top that looks like butcher block. It isn't bear proof but it should be squirrel and raccoon proof.

With a larger cargo trailer, you could literally bring the kitchen sink! I won't do that but I could put a dorm room size refrigerator on a dolly so I don't have to hunt for ice. Or I could at least roll my ice chest into the trailer instead of breaking my back lifting it up to put it in the back of the Suburban in bear country. I hope the veteran cargo trailer campers will let me know what they bring to the campsite that isn't possible with just the space available in a car.

Re: Cargo Trailer camping

So far, I have camped a few times at motorcycle rallies, towing my 5X10 open trailer carrying my motorcycle, and a large locking storage box with camping gear in it. Planned at one time to make more camping-specific mods, but got sidetracked into a van camper conversion instead.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

My brother has a flatbed trailer that he sometimes takes camping and I have a truck (somewhat similar right) and the biggest difference is space right. Ove thing that he takes is a full size yard trash can. I take my homemade chuck box which is huge and would never fit in any type of car and I cant even imagine it in any type of suv.

My brother also takes a large (maybe 20 gallon) water barrel with a hand pump which is nice. That way you dont have to worry about running out of water...especially with a large group.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I used to go camping with boyscouts and we had a trailer that we pulled that was probably about twenty feet long by ten feet by ten feet high... The things you could take with that. :D We had about two large camp grills, crates of food and supplies, a huge canvas tent to set everything underneath etc... It was a blast

Comment

Why not take a sink? They make doing dishes easy, as well as washing yourself up.

The Expedition Portal forum has a lots of interesting camp trailers, some built from cargo trailers, and SUV and pickup modifications for camping. Some have small slide out or swing out kitchen setups in the back of their vehicles, including sinks and pressurized water systems.

Comment

My cargo trailer camping outfit:

Can-Am RTS-SE6 / Aluma MCT XL
            Phil
            Group: Canvas
            Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
            Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

My scout troop had a trailer to haul all the camping gear. It was set up with cabinets so that all the gear had a place. All we had to do was hook the trailer up and go. Making and breaking camp was much easier.

Comment

Seating for 3, food, tents, bags, chairs & gear for 8, firewood for a 4-day-weekend, 6 gallons of water, 12V AGM power supply, 200W audio system with remote, 3 Coleman lanterns and telescopic tripods...Definitely not possible in your typical Prius. And THAT is a big tent my friends!

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                X