Kodiak Canvas Awning pooling water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak Canvas Awning pooling water

Anyone gave a good way to keep the awning on my Kodiak Canvas tent from pooling water? I was just going to make some sort of farm to prop up the middle, but I'm look g for ideas.

Re: Kodiak Canvas Awning pooling water

The vestibule from Kodiak has an adjustable crossbar that keeps the awning taut that I would use even if I wasn't going to put up the vestibule. I think you could make a crossbar out of an adjustable paint pole by drilling holes in it so it fits over the tips of your tent poles.

Comment

Just drop one or both awning poles a little.

Comment

I'll have to check out the crossbar idea. As far as lowering one or both poles, then they don't seem to stay steady. Maybe I'll try it with more guy lines

Comment

The crossbar in the vestibule kit from Kodiak has the ends that fit over the tent poles flattened to allow more room for the grommets for the awning, the awning for the vesibule and the guylines to fit on top of the crossbar so you may need to flatten the ends of the adjustable paint pole. With the crossbar installed, you could then lower one of the tent poles if you were still having a ponding problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogdiver View Post
            The crossbar in the vestibule kit from Kodiak has the ends that fit over the tent poles flattened to allow more room for the grommets for the awning, the awning for the vesibule and the guylines to fit on top of the crossbar so you may need to flatten the ends of the adjustable paint pole. With the crossbar installed, you could then lower one of the tent poles if you were still having a ponding problem.
            Thanks, I'll have to find a picture to understand I think.

Comment

The awning on the Kodiaks is the only problem I see on an otherwise great tent. Not too well thought out. If you don't have or don't want to buy adjustable poles, I'd recommend angling at least one of the poles in towards the tent. That should drop the height enough to allow water to run off. To keep the bottom of the pole from kicking out, just dig a small hole to set it in. Also, from the picture you posted, it appears your guylines could be tighter. That will also help keep water from pooling.

Comment

I'm just knid of brainstorming here but I was actually thinking that if you put an eyelet in the middle of one of the sides to act as a drain. Then tie a guyline to it to make sure it stays a low point and idealy give the water something to run down and away from the tent.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  The awning on the Kodiaks is the only problem I see on an otherwise great tent. Not too well thought out. If you don't have or don't want to buy adjustable poles, I'd recommend angling at least one of the poles in towards the tent. That should drop the height enough to allow water to run off. To keep the bottom of the pole from kicking out, just dig a small hole to set it in. Also, from the picture you posted, it appears your guylines could be tighter. That will also help keep water from pooling.
                  I agree. Tighten up your lines. On ours the water pools for a second and then just runs off the end. We do tend to angle the awning down a little when we set up. You can also just put a stick or something in the center to lift it a little to let water run off.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas/help.

Comment

You can also pitch the awning so it slops in the direction you want the water to go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodiak tent 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	69957Click image for larger version

Name:	kodiak tent 3.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	69958Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodiak tent.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	69959
                      Moss Big Dipper
                      Alaskan Guide 8
                      Alaskan Guide 6
                      NorthFace Tadpole 23
                      ALPS Exteme 3
                      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I really like these tents, they are on my list to purchase one day. I don't know if its nostalgia or what, but canvas tents just scream "camping" to me.

Comment

I really like mine. I'm finally getting to use it again. Leaving next Tuesday for 2 weeks

Comment

I feel your pain on the awning letting rain pool. My first time out this summer we got 5 inches of rain in two days. Letting one side down lower than the other didn't really solve the problem. When the canvas got really wet it would stretch a bit from what I observed even when I reset the poles to make the awning more tight. The rain would pour out once it got too full but not ideal by any means.

Comment

That's the issue I have, it stretches in the middle to pool the water. That's why I thought some sort of frame that would hold it higher in te center.

Comment

Working...
                              X