77°
    66°

Wed

81°
    63°

Thu

75°
    61°

Trip is scheduled from Sunday until Thursday night. Purpose of trip besides relaxation: star gazing. Meteor shower watching to be exact.

Already gonna have problems seeing with a super moon in the sky. Why oh why do the showers have to happen on the best sky viewing nights?!? Sniffle sniffle oh well. Maybe next year.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Shiettttttt! Bad Weather Ahead

Forecast isn't much different down here in Maryland. I was planning an overnight just to see the meteor showers. Looks like it might be a last minute decision...

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Here's the forecast for my trip what starts tomorrow:

Trip is scheduled from Sunday until Thursday night. Purpose of trip besides relaxation: star gazing. Meteor shower watching to be exact.

Already gonna have problems seeing with a super moon in the sky. Why oh why do the showers have to happen on the best sky viewing nights?!? Sniffle sniffle oh well. Maybe next year.
      Or....maybe some this year. It looks like you may have a window Sunday night/Monday morning (the supermoon peaks Sunday evening). Clear skies predicted then. And again maybe Monday night/Tuesday morning (although clouds moving ahead of the front could cover you up). But there is a chance...and the forecast can always change.

Sorry. :( Really unfortunate since the Perseids are really reliable performers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you NYCgrrl.

My forecast here in central IN is about the same. 40% rain Sunday, 80% on Monday, 40% on Tuesday, and clearing Wednesday. Sheesh...I have been on a long cloudy streak lately catching anything happening in the night sky. I will be out if I can though.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm headed up to the White Mountains for three nights of car camping and two days of day hiking -- Sun thru Wed. Weather looks to be pretty good, maybe off and on rain on Wednesday, but hopefully it holds off long enough for me to pack up the campsite.

Comment

Keep your chin up. Maybe it will clear out over your site.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Could be worse. Down here temps are around 95 daytime and very humid.......
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Not any better back home in the city. Like camping is to rain...August 12 is to hazy skies in much of the Northeast. An annual reliability.

Comment

I feel your pain. I had a camping trip planned in the Adirondacks for today (Tuesday) to Saturday. Forecast was for rain, heavy rain, shower and more showers. Not one day was supposed to be nice and then they threw in the wind and temps in the 60s. 40s at night. :(

I don't mind the cold but I can't stand the rain. I cancelled it and lost some $$. Rebooked an even nicer site up there for September. I decided to head west instead of north and am going to Pennsylvania instead. Forecast is for dry and sunny all week! I will gladly put up with a cancellation fee if I can avoid prolonged wet weather. A day or rain is fine but the entire trip? No thanks. I'm just glad I had another option because sometimes you don't luck out like that.

As for stargazing. A full moon is nice, but I love to see a sky full of stars. Shame about the meteor showers. That would be nice to see.

Comment

Cut short by deteriorating forecast in the White Mountains. Rain before dawn. Heavy at times with flash flood warnings. Not too fond of waking up to pouring rain and having to pack camp, so I packed up yesterday afternoon and headed home a bit early. Good choice. The weather today is miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                    Cut short by deteriorating forecast in the White Mountains. Rain before dawn. Heavy at times with flash flood warnings. Not too fond of waking up to pouring rain and having to pack camp, so I packed up yesterday afternoon and headed home a bit early. Good choice. The weather today is miserable.
                    What part of the White Mountains were you at? We are taking off on Friday for there and now I am thinking that we might have to call an audible because the forecast is still calling for thunderstorms all weekend.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I was camping at my usual campground five miles west of Lincoln, NH on Rt 112.

http://lostriver.com/index.html

Nicely run, very pretty private family campground sited between two mountain streams. I like it because it's only 90 minutes from home, good hot showers, convenient to a lot of really good day hiking, and you have the grocery stores and restaurants in Lincoln as an option. Mix of pop ups, small RVs, and tent camping.

The weather forecast doesn't look horrible for this weekend. 30% to 40% chance of scattered showers. Partly sunny, partly cloudy. They aren't calling for wicked thunderstorms. Sounds like the worst of it will be short rain showers, not the 2+ inches of drenching rain that fell today. Not the best camping weather, but pretty much what you are going to get in August.

I find that the NWS usually has the best read on the upcoming weather:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.U-xChPldVBk

But, it is so localized in the mountains. It'll rain in one place and be sunny five miles away as little showers drift by.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                        I was camping at my usual campground five miles west of Lincoln, NH on Rt 112.

http://lostriver.com/index.html

Nicely run, very pretty private family campground sited between two mountain streams. I like it because it's only 90 minutes from home, good hot showers, convenient to a lot of really good day hiking, and you have the grocery stores and restaurants in Lincoln as an option. Mix of pop ups, small RVs, and tent camping.

The weather forecast doesn't look horrible for this weekend. 30% to 40% chance of scattered showers. Partly sunny, partly cloudy. They aren't calling for wicked thunderstorms. Sounds like the worst of it will be short rain showers, not the 2+ inches of drenching rain that fell today. Not the best camping weather, but pretty much what you are going to get in August.

I find that the NWS usually has the best read on the upcoming weather:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.U-xChPldVBk

But, it is so localized in the mountains. It'll rain in one place and be sunny five miles away as little showers drift by.
                        Hahaha. I am headed to the White Mountains in Arizona. :lol:

Probably a different storm, eh.
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                        X