Looking for advice on a tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for advice on a tent

Incredulous? Your unwillingness to see that not everyone wants to buy things the "tp way" is a prime example of incredulity. Even though it's been mentioned in other threads, median spelled it out quite nicely here - not everyone wants to spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for a $400 piece of gear to be discontinued and go on sale for $1.95. (Yes - serious hyperbole there). I'll say it again with a bit more detail - I have a folder with forty plus links to sites that sell camping gear and/or stuff that isn't targeted to camping but can be used for camping. I include eBay in that group, although I'm not sure why. In the last ten or so years, there has not been one item I've purchased that wasn't cheaper on another site or even locally. That's tents, lanterns, sleeping bags, clothing, stoves, cookware, camping chairs, tables, hammocks, fire starters, tarps, sleeping pads, water jugs, axes and saws.

So I guess you can put me on the incredulous list as well. My eBay hasn't shown me any quality gear for anything close to 60% off. But I guess I'm just looking for the wrong stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by drake2 View Post
      I just ordered the Big Agnes Big House 6 for $220; the footprint was $30; and the matching vestibule was around $75. Anyone ever camped in the big house 6?
      I believe there are several folks who have posted about the Big Agnes over the past year. If I recall correctly, they all had positive things to say about them.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Just for the sake of argument, I just did an eBay search for Marmot Limelight 3p tent. Four items came up: $199.99 (used - free shipping), $160 (used - $8 shipping), $215.16 ($9.99 shipping), and $324.99 (free shipping). All are "Buy it Now" prices, except the $160 which is "Best Offer".

Quick search on internet, I found these prices (new - free shipping unless noted):
        Amazon - $264.95
        Moosejaw.com - $278.95
        Sunnysports.com - $279 plus shipping
        Outsideoutfitters.com - $279
        hermitshut.com - $252.28 sale
        Backcountrygear.com - $209.25 sale
        brms.com - $279.99
        Fontanasports.com - $199.99 sale

The $225 eBay price is a decent deal, but nothing better than sale prices that can be found elsewhere.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

And here's the Big Agnes Big House 6:

Ebay:

$285 + $27.84 shipping - used (best offer)
          $275.99 + $14 shipping - used (buy it now)
          $369.95 (free shipping) - new (best offer)
          $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - Moosejaw.com
          $295.96 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - backcountry.com
          $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - bikewagon
          $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
          $493.92 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
          $360.70 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
          plus 3 more $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)

Internet search:

REI - $369.95
          Amazon - $258.97
          backcountrygear.com - $369.95
          campsaver.com - $258.97

Again, no great difference between eBay and the rest of the world. In fact, eBay's best deal for new is from an online retailer with the same deal on their own website.

Is it possible to get a great deal - sure. Can it be found in the 2 months before I leave on my big camping trip? Very unlikely. Can it be found in the next year? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            And here's the Big Agnes Big House 6:

Ebay:

$285 + $27.84 shipping - used (best offer)
            $275.99 + $14 shipping - used (buy it now)
            $369.95 (free shipping) - new (best offer)
            $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - Moosejaw.com
            $295.96 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - backcountry.com
            $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now) - bikewagon
            $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
            $493.92 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
            $360.70 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)
            plus 3 more $369.95 (free shipping) - new (buy it now)

Internet search:

REI - $369.95
            Amazon - $258.97
            backcountrygear.com - $369.95
            campsaver.com - $258.97

Again, no great difference between eBay and the rest of the world. In fact, eBay's best deal for new is from an online retailer with the same deal on their own website.

Is it possible to get a great deal - sure. Can it be found in the 2 months before I leave on my big camping trip? Very unlikely. Can it be found in the next year? Maybe.
            Toedtoes, great job researching all the prices. I came up with all similar prices when I searched online before my purchase. HOWEVER, if you are not a member of promotive.com you should be (if possible). I got the big agnes big house 6 for $221.97 brand new. That site also has some great deals on Kelty products and numerous other camping stuff. My understanding about that site is you get to order the product directly from manufacture without a middle man. Normally the savings are 40-60% of msrp or retail. Each company creates their own promotive deal.

Comment

If you don't mind a used tent I personally like the Army surplus ones. Especially in the winter, the have great insulation and withstand winds and heavy rain. If you don't mind the smell of a surplus ( some people actually love it) that the route I would go. There are arctic tents that are a good fit for 4-6 people with cots or sleeping bags. I think you should'n pay more than $600 for it shipped. I was living in one at the burning man festival - it was hot, though much less than in the other commercial tents around us - so I assume it will do good work also in the cold weather scenario. These two seems to be legit and with good prices..
              www.usmilitarytents.com
              www.rddusa.com

Comment

Working...
              X