Sleeping with the Bears at Andrews Cove. June 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping with the Bears at Andrews Cove. June 2014

I went back to Andrew Cove this year. What started to be partially boring to to much excitement.

I was out there for 3 weeks. I was going to stay 2 weeks and then go on to another site but the management asked me to stay.

First week was an easy week. Till the Second friday came along and was given a visit by a Bear. But that was my fault. Ooops forgot some food on the table. Saturday I spooked a small bear back behind my site. But the Night was a different story.

I was naming the Bears such as Papa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby bear type names. My first visit on Saturday night I was visiting another site with some teens. When I came back to my site, a bear ran out of my Table area. Nothing taken though.

I was sitting near my Lantern pole and I thought I saw some movement in the trees. Well yes I did for GrandPa Bear head butted a tree and came out charging me. He did stop to see what I will do. So what did I do? I stood up, and started to bang on a deep Pot with a large spoon. Well Grandpa Lost his challenge since he ran away.

After waiting a few hours I went to bed. Later on I heard a noise and came out and seen my Frying pan had been taken. After no more sightings back to bed. 30 min later I heard another noise and looked out the window of the tent and Momma Bear was up on her hind legs looking around my picnic table area. I shouted at her "BEAR" and she came down to all 4s and turned and starred at me eye to eye and ran back into the woods. This happen 2 more times and on the 3rd time I came back out of the tent to find a second bear inside my canopy that was over my table. That one did jump over a chair, went around and stole a bag of Pipe Tobacco.

Sunday I moved down from the Hill to the main area, and was a quiet Sunday and Monday nights. Tuesday however had 5 Visits from Baby Bear and Sister Bear. I was sitting near my Camp Fire when I heard a noise near my truck. Baby Bear was on his back legs trying to look into my truck. Poor thing could barely reach the bottom of my window. Now I had bought an Air Horn so I blew it and he ran off. Sister Bear came and took a look and she got up and was face to face with my window. Beep and she was gone. But she returned and started to beat on my Ice CHest. Beep and off she ran. Baby Bear then came back and climbed into the back of my truck and went diving off when I blew the horn again.

I was told to try spraying clorox or ammonia around and the Bears would not come close. I did get some Pine Sol and that worked also. 3 Days before I left was the next close call and he passed by me. The next night another one came to the head of my tent and snorted and ran off. As I was packing I seen where another one came in my site and well If he or she had pants on would have to change it drawers.

Re: Sleeping with the Bears at Andrews Cove. June 2014

Pretty funny!

Comment

Wow. Aren't they dangerous?

Comment

Originally posted by kwanbis View Post
        Wow. Aren't they dangerous?
        Sorry for the delay reply. Moving into a new home.

In a general rule yes. Any wild animal dangerous. But as a golden rule with Black bears is Do not mess with their babies, do not corner them, and do not try to take food away. But they are as scared of you as you are of them. Black Bear will run from you if you can make a loud noise. Air Horn, banging on a Pot, or a Loud Shout. I shouted BEAR out of my tent window and one ran away after looking at me eye to eye. But I did have one come up to my Tent and snorted as I slept and woke me.

Comment

Your name wouldn't be Goldilocks, would it?

Maybe some old acquaintances of yours returning for some revenge.
          Last edited by michelliot; 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Naw it not.

Comment

Working...
            X