Tent Heights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Heights

I had a question I wanted to ask everybody. How much headroom do you all like in your tents? Personally, I prefer to be able to stand up to get dressed and hate having to lay down to put my clothes on. However, I have noticed that it seems like the taller the tent you get, the bigger around the tent gets, as well.

The reason I ask is that I am looking at purchasing a new tent sometime in the near future and would love to find one that is tall enough to stand up in without having to go with a huge cabin tent that sleeps 8-10 people. For my last tent, I purchased a Coleman Prairie Breeze tent, which has been great except that it is huge and almost takes 2 people to put up. Would love to find a tent that is smaller, can be put up by 1 person, but it still tall enough to stand up in.

Re: Tent Heights

The taller the tent the less wind resistant it will be. I, like you, prefer to be able to stand up and move around. For the kind of camping I do and the age I have become, a cabin style seems to work. I have determined you can,t have everything so choose what is more important for you. If you camp in windy places you would be better off with a dome style tent, but not be able to stand up. I have not shopped for smaller taller tents as I have space issues that require a larger tent.

Comment

Thanks CMPR. I love the size of my Prairie Breeze tent from Coleman. I think it is like a 9 person tent. I can put a queen size air mattress on one side of the tent with a big rubbermaid box next to it for a nightstand, and still have the entire other half of the tent to put up a small camping table to keep my shoes and duffel bag up off the ground, as well as a camping chair to sit and put my shoes on, and I still have plenty of room to move around in this tent. However, the only thing I have found is that since this tent is so big, it can be difficult to put up by myself. I almost think it takes me twice as long to put this tent up as it should just because it is so hard to put up by myself. My new tent will most likely be a cabin tent, as well, just maybe not quite as big. Maybe that will make it easier to put up by myself.

Thanks!

Comment

Check into the Instant Tents by Coleman. They are designed to be easily set up in just a few minutes. I have also found that most cabin tents can be set up solo. You just have to have some patience because, of course, it takes much longer.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks James. I will definitely check those out. I checked into them when they first came out a while back and wasn't very pleased with the look of them. They just basically looked like big squares to me. Don't ask me why, but for some reason just really wasn't pleased with the look of them. But, definitely worth checking into again.

Comment

I'm 6' 3", and like to be able to stand, at least in the middle. My new Kelty Palisades 6 lets me do this. And, every time I've set it up, it's been by myself, so it can be done. It would be easier with a helper, though.

Comment

I know canvas is a step a lot of people don't want to take, but the Kodiak Flexbows set up pretty easily, even for one person. The hardest part is actually pegging them down. After that, it goes pretty fast. Video here

The ability to stand up in a tent is nice, especially since I've gotten older. The gymnastics you have to do to get dressed in a backpacking tent can get tedious, to say the least. I would say that the 10x10 Kodiak, with it's 6' 6" ceiling, is a good size for 3, maybe 4 people while still allowing elbow - and head - room for everybody. For two people, it's a palace.

Comment

The Eureka Sunrise 6 is a good weatherproof and reliable tent. More than 6' headroom. Not too bad for one person to set up. I have an illustrated set-up manual that I wrote if you need it.

Comment

I saw the instant Colemans in action during a bad weather trip earlier this summer; they help up exceptionally well. I was actually surrounded by them at different times. In fact the only tents that succumbed to the high winds were a DIY rain fly made from a grey tarp and vertical and horizontal poles; the rain fly collapsed and caved in the tent, and an expensive 2 man tent that was never staked before the owners left to do something off-site. Money doesn't make ya smart, LOL. Easy up Colemans I saw had nice height. I like that Eureka Sunrise as well.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Probably not what you're looking for, but I love my 9x12 wall tent. The side walls are 5', the ridge is 8'. I can set it up myself, with either wood poles I bring, or the steel poles, which are heavy, and a nuisance to set up, but extremely strong. It's easily a 60+ mph wind tent with the steel poles.

The tipi wasn't all that difficult to set up solo either, after getting the hang of it, but they aren't quite what most people are looking for either. I sure miss mine.
                    Last edited by Malamute; 07-26-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

The Coleman and Eureka (lowball line to catch your $) line of bottom-tier tents are great for fair-weather camping in summer's balmy conditions...Just don't ask them to survive anything over 30 mph gusts for more than evening. We've learned over the years that going cheap comes at a cost of wind, and rain, integrity.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        The Coleman and Eureka (lowball line to catch your $) line of bottom-tier tents are great for fair-weather camping in summer's balmy conditions...Just don't ask them to survive anything over 30 mph gusts for more than evening. We've learned over the years that going cheap comes at a cost of wind, and rain, integrity.
                        When did Eurek fall into the "cheap tent" category? The Eureka Sunrise 6 is probably not as wind-strong as some other Eureka designs, but if the guylines were used, should be sufficient for strong winds. Let's be realistic here, the OP is a family camper camping in a designated campground. Sure, bad weather CAN happen anywhere, but it isn't like climbing the Himalayas

Comment

Brandon: I did not notice your amount budgeted or how often you camp or the conditions you typically encounter. Of course, the more you budget, the larger your world becomes in tent selection. I would search for a 6 man tent. It will give you a larger footprint, but not so big that it is hard to find a place to pitch and setup solo. You should be able to find one in that size that you can stand up in along with some interior storage.

I have been trying out a Slumberjack 6 Trail Tent this year. Since it is just the spouse and I using it, there is plenty of space. I can set it up by myself (although help is always good). I can stand in it and the floor size is approx 10x10. Vestibules for shoes, more storage. But...fiberglass poles and a thin floor material though (we protect with a painters tarp). Retails $229, you can find for $170, and I got mine for $128. So far so good this season. No problems to report, we like it.

If I wanted to upgrade, Kelty has the Trail Ridge 6 which is the upgraded design ftrom Slumberjack (owned by same company). It has aluminum poles, thicker material and rain coating. 6ft height interior, 8x10 footprint. Upper $200's, but it also goes on sale.

All that said....I always hesitate to recommend a specific tent because everyone has their own likes/dislikes and camp their own way and in every sort of conditions and with different budgets.

My thoughts: Start with the high-end models (Marmot, Sierra Designs, REI, Big Agnes) simply to learn/note the features, design, and the materials they utilize. If these are out of your budget for now (and they are pricey), work your way down to the middle priced brands, trying to hit/get as many of those high-end features that are most important to you and can not be compromised for the style of camping you enjoy. If you need to go to the lower priced brands, do the same evaluation.

Be patient if you can and once you decide on a couple of "potentials", watch for sales/discounts/etc.
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM.
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            When did Eurek fall into the "cheap tent" category? The Eureka Sunrise 6 is probably not as wind-strong as some other Eureka designs, but if the guylines were used, should be sufficient for strong winds. Let's be realistic here, the OP is a family camper camping in a designated campground. Sure, bad weather CAN happen anywhere, but it isn't like climbing the Himalayas
                            Hushhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now yer gonna get him allllll wound up again:he:. I've heard tplife call Eureka tents cheap in the past; I ignore the comment nowadaze; he's happy with his gear and I'm happy w/ mine.

Signed,

The satisfied owner of a Eureka Copper Canyon ('cept the floor is too thin).
                            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-27-2014, 09:41 AM.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              When did Eureka fall into the "cheap tent" category?
                              tp wants everyone to buy high end gear. I figure he must work for a credit card company or something.
                              I've never guyed out my 7x7 Eureka, seen more than a few nasty thunderstorms over the years in it... go figure... it still works.

Comment

Working...
                              X