7 kids, 2 adults. Tent suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 kids, 2 adults. Tent suggestions?

Hi, new member. I did a lot of tent camping as a kid and am now getting back into it with my family. I need some suggestions for a good (durable and dry)3 season tent that would fit us - Me, my wife (who has never been camping) and seven kids aged 15 to 2.

I know my wife won't be thrilled having the smaller kids in seperate tents, but we do have a 2 man REI that the 15 y.o. uses. This wouldn't be for backpacking, but out of the back of our 4WD van- so either campsites or National Forest camping-so some hand carrying may be involved.
    Thanks!

Re: 7 kids, 2 adults. Tent suggestions?

If you are getting back into camping and your wife has not camped, I would go overboard to make things convenient and comfortable for her. Dealing with seven kids in a strange environment is challenging enough. I would look at this tent purchase as a starting point. Nobody wants to repurchase equipment, but there is nothing wrong with upgrading or changing later. It would be a shame for you to spend $600.00 on what someone thinks is the perfect tent for you to find out that your family does not like camping or only wants to go once every year or so. You should get a decent tent with the space you need and take good care of it so if it is not the right fit for you you can sell it to someone else. There are many levels of gear to choose from. There is nothing wrong with a mid level Coleman or similar. I have weathered many a storm in a Coleman Red Canyon tent with only on one occasion a leak in a corner after a 45 min. severe downpour followed by 14 hours of steady rain.(most likely my fault in how I had it pitched) I now have the Hampton, a cabin style tent for nine I was able to get for $159.00 at an outlet store. Your wife might enjoy being able to walk around standing straight up or not crawling around on her knees.
    I started hanging a tarp about two feet above my tent to protect it from sun damage, sap and bird mess and it could make even the cheapest tent waterproof. You will also be able to pitch and strike a dry tent if you put it up first and take it down last.
    Good luck in your search. I will check back later if I think of anything else.

Comment

Thanks CMPR. Seems like even the "cheap" ones are $300+ at Dick's. I'll have to shop around more. The kids are excited about it and would probably go more than the wife would. I like the tarp idea, reminds me of what I did in Scouts. Am I really looking at a 10+ person tent? Or would an 8 person do?

Comment

I would seriously consider 2 tents. you can have you, your wife, and a couple of the smallest kids in yours and the rest in the other. The older ones will love the "freedom" of being in their own tent.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Depending on the ages of the kids, 2 tents still might not be enough. I might break them up, with an older kid with a middle aged kid. Say like the 15 year old with a 9 or 10 year old, and that might help the bond between older kids and younger kids as well. Maybe 2 tents for 4 kids and the others in a tent with mom and dad.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I would rent a big pop-up camper and suppliment it with an additional tent for the teens. That will make your wife comfortable as well as her little chicks and she and her chicks will be off the ground which is important to ladies.

It is an expense to rent a pop-up, but still cheaper than a hotel.

When I was a kid, we had five kids and two adults in a single 1959 Volkswagon camper. Man, that got tight. Eventually, my brother and I used a tent.

Comment

A pop up isn't what we're lookiing for, but thanks for the sugggestion.

Comment

I think it would be better if you will have a <a href="http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au/">camper trailer</a>. It is safer and will give you more comfort.

Comment

Wow. 7 kids!

Comment

You should see www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au

Comment

Working...
                    X