any clothes hanging ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any clothes hanging ideas?

Leaving up north for a "family" one. have a 10 man tent that'll be used for only us two adults and I was thinking when I was last in it: there is ALL kinds of room in here and three girls have clothes ya know.. anyone ever made like a portable ward roab or similar for clothes / coat storage?

Re: any clothes hanging ideas?

Yeah, if you come up with one... let me know! LOL! I've been on the hunt for this exact solution myself. Clothes storage in the tent is driving me bonkers. I hate the bags strewn about, and I hate having to dig though bags for what I'm looking for even more. The one tip I've seen recently for kids clothes that I'm going to try is have them put their complete outfits together and put the whole outfit in a ziploc baggie, squeeze out the air and pack. This should make it easy for the kiddos to grab an outfit in a baggie not to mention the added bonus of keeping the clothes dry in case of a rainy day or two. For folded clothes/misc tent stuff storage, the most intriguing option I've seen is these:

They come in various sizes and configurations, and if you have room to transport them, I bet they would be handy as hell in the tent. The storage as well as the flat surface on top.

For hanging stuff, I'm perplexed. My main concern is the load that can be added to any tent poles before the integrity of the tent is compromised. It depends on the tent, I guess. Our big family cabin tent only has fiberglass roof poles, so I'm hesitant to hang anything substantial from there. Clothes can get heavy quick, but a jacket or two might not be too much. Some hanging options I've considered are:

But you still need a place sturdy enough to hang them from.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

The closets in the Outwell tents are one of the million and one reasons I lust after those tents:

I will say that I got lots of inspiration and ideas from watching videos of the Outwell tents, they have storage down to a science!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

There might be some more ideas for you here:
        http://www.formufit.com/pvc-plan-ideas

It's all PVC projects and I did see a couple ideas for hanging stuff that might work.

Comment

My initial thought was you could build a frame for hanging clothes out of pvc pipe that could be built on site and taken apart for packing in the car.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
            There might be some more ideas for you here:
            http://www.formufit.com/pvc-plan-ideas

It's all PVC projects and I did see a couple ideas for hanging stuff that might work.
            Originally posted by James. View Post
            My initial thought was you could build a frame for hanging clothes out of pvc pipe that could be built on site and taken apart for packing in the car.
            LOL, great minds...
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              LOL, great minds...
              :great:

Comment

I don't even hang my clothes up at home

I like the clamshell type of vintage suitcases that are rather shallow when opened. My preference is the Samsonite Saturn 2 as it has minimal lining. Using them eliminates the need for digging around to find items, and they are weather and scuff resistant. I get the most use out of a couple of the smaller 20"x16"x7" sizes - perfect for storing under the cot and not too heavy to carry. I got the pink one shown here for a dollar at a second hand store.Click image for larger version

Name:	packing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	69890Click image for larger version

Name:	suitcase 2.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	69891
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

If you need a closet in your tent, you are bringing too many clothes

Give each camper a modest size duffle bag and tell them that is the limit of what they can bring. Tell them to wear what they take out and everything else stays in the bag. Wet clothes go on the clothesline outside. No hanger or storage needed.

Problem solved the good old Navy way
                  Last edited by Mike; 07-12-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

What if you added poles to the 4 corners and 2 kitty corner on the top/bottom of the mesh shelf that shortpants posted? It would be easy to do with velcro, and easily taken down and stored for travel, etc. And it would be self standing so no concerns about too much weight for the tent.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Too funny. After my first trip out with the Kodiak, I started thinking about this very thing. I ruled out schedule 40 PVC in favor of schedule 80. I'm pretty sure the thinner stuff will find a way to crack at the fittings because of how much it flexes under stress, especially longer lengths. That's why I'm also considering EMT conduit or even schedule 40 galvanized pipe with Kee Klamp fittings. I only want a rack for winter camping when I'll have, among other things, a heavy coat and a cold suit hanging from it. I figure a place to hang them inside to dry out in front of the heater would be ideal. But, as always, I haven't come up with the Ultimate MacGyver solution yet. I want something sturdy and stable, easily broken down and as compact as possible. That's a lot of "gotta haves", so I'm still trying to picture how I'm going to do it. When I do, I'll post a picture.

Edit:
                      And, just like that, I think I have my solution. I have these fittings already so all I'll need are 4 six-foot lengths of 3/4" pipe for the legs, a crossbar of length to be determined and four heavy duty rubber feet for the legs.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	kee klamp.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	69892
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I like that MacGyver! Nice and simple. I saw this one last night:

but yours looks much more portable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                          The closets in the Outwell tents are one of the million and one reasons I lust after those tents:

I will say that I got lots of inspiration and ideas from watching videos of the Outwell tents, they have storage down to a science!
                          WOW! A tent with closets? Who knew! lol I have always seen tents with more than 1 "room", but never a tent with walk-in closets with poles. I don't know though, part of me feels like this takes away from the camping experience. But, of course, I am a guy and packing my clothes to go camping consists of throwing some socks, underwear, shirts, and shorts in a duffel bag. lol

Comment

I think tents have come a long way. Some consumer tents are bigger than my living room.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              I think tents have come a long way. Some consumer tents are bigger than my living room.
                              My tent is 3 rooms and a porch. It is a bit ridiculous.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X