ANOTHER Tent Suggestion Thread :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER Tent Suggestion Thread :)

Well, as I mentioned in my OT post, it's getting time to retire and replace my old "backup" tent, a small Coleman dome. We basically only use this if it is pouring rain on arrival night, in the backyard for the girls, or if a friend needs a loaner tent. We have our huge Taj Mahal tent now, so the dome is just "plan B" if all else fails. Here's my "need" list:

- Must be small enough to fit inside VT and NH State Park lean tos. VT lean tos are about 13'x9', and NH's are a little bigger at 10'x14'. So I'd like a 9'x9' or an 8'x10', or a size that will fit comfortably in the lean to without being too close to the edge.

- Must be around 5' tall. The lean tos are 7.5' at the front, but only about 4.5' at the very back, so not too tall as to touch the roof.

- Must have good ventilation. My current dome only has one window and the door, no mesh ceiling. My hubby and the two girls are little FURNACES, so I've noticed a marked increase in condensation inside the tent since we've crammed so many people in it and can get a little damp.

- Must fit at least one queen, single height air mattress, two would be even better, but one will do. And a little bit of space left over for a couple backpacks and a duffel bag.

- Must be free standing. No place to drive stakes or tie off guylines in a lean to without driving nails (which they frown upon), so I have been mainly looking at domes, but would entertain any free-standing options.

- Must be easy to put up. Most times we use the Plan B tent, I am putting it up myself, with a 6 year old and 2 year old pulling at my pantleg, so a 753 step tent pup just will not do.

- Must have a smaller packed size. No "instant tents", ect. I usually throw our Plan B tent in the rear window of the car, behind the headrests, so packed size is a consideration.

Now my "want" list:

- Would like a gear loft and/or nice, usable storage pockets. The current tent only has one pocket, directly under the back window, so whomever is sleeping in the middle of the bed gets whacked in the face with the pocket all night.

- A full coverage rain fly would be nice, but since we mainly use this tent under cover or only during nice weather, this is not a top priority. I'd take a lesser rain fly to gain better ventilation.

- I would prefer a square tent, no funky corners or hexagon/octagon shapes.

- Budget of under $200. I'd like to see it come in well under that (I think I paid $60 for our current Plan B tent back in the 80's) since it is not our main tent, but now that I have started looking at options, I'm seeing a price range of $90-150 for this size tent.

Whadda ya think? I have been scouring the internet for a few days now and every time I think I've found "The One", something just doesn't jive. Too tall, not enough ventilation, bad reviews, yadda, yadda. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: ANOTHER Tent Suggestion Thread

Ooops, almost forgot one more "need" item:

- Floor dimension, length or width, can't be less than 7', would prefer 8' or more. Hubby is 6'6", so a 7' tent with him in it means feet are sticking out the door, or he has to sleep diagonal and the girls and I curl up in the leftover corner space. Not fun!

And an addition to this "need" item:

- Must fit at least one queen, single height air mattress, two would be even better, but one will do. And a little bit of space left over for a couple backpacks and a duffel bag. We do also have two double height single air mattresses that I would entertain strapping together to make a king or something. They are 18" high, and I know cramming a double height mattress in most domes can make it quite claustrophobic, but with the right shape/pitch it might work and gain us mattress space.
    Last edited by Shortpants; 07-09-2014, 06:30 AM.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Here ya go. Sierra Trading Post always has great deals on closeout tents. Any standard 4P dome tent should fit your needs perfectly. They are 8 feet by 8 feet square and should fit your space requirements. The cheapest ones have two poles. The better versions add an extra pole or two to pull the side walls out (more vertical more room) and strengthen the tent.

Sign up for STP's mailing iist. They will regularly send coupon codes for 35% off these sale prices. Occasionally, they run a one day 40% off sale.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ten...~capacity%3b4/

That page has three options for you -- good, better best.

The $89 Alps Mountaineering is your standard el cheapo 4P dome tent, two fiberglass poles. Marginally ly waterproof 1000mm coated fabrics, Polyethelyene floor. I wouldn't want to ride out much rain in it, but it would work fine in a lean to or for a back yard campout. After a typical 35% coupon, that's $59.

The Kelty Palisades is a lighter weight version of the Marmot Halo 4 that I use. The circular halo pole adds strength and pulls the sides out. This has DAC aluminum poles and is a solid midrange tent. I've been impressed with the quality of all the Kelty stuff I own. This one is $269 or $175 with a 35% coupon. This would be a great choice for you.

The best option there is the Marmot. It's a four pole dome tent so it's going to be super strong. Two doors, a massive vestibule on the front door. Tons of storage pockets. Fly vents for better airflow (they are held open by little rods, can be closed in a hurricane). The biggest difference is that this has premium fabrics compared to the other two tents. Much heavier floor. Almost double the waterproofing standard (3000mm floor versus 1800 on the Kelty). This tent will stay bone dry for a very long time. Also, that 4-pole structure is going to be very strong. This tent would handle pretty heavy wind with no problem. With a 35% coupon, it's $208. This would be an awesome tent for the money.

The Big Agnes tent on that page would also be a very high quality tent. However, their specialty is very light fabrics -- for example, only 1500mm waterproofed floor compared to 3000mm on the Marmot. That's great for lightweight backpacking, but maybe not so much for a kids tent as these lightweight fabrics tend to be fragile. Also a 1500 mm floor is going to be marginally waterproof after some wear (figure you lose 50% compared to the factory spec). For basically the same money, the Marmot is probably going to suit your purposes better.
      Last edited by hwc1954; 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Well put, hwc1954.. Alongside Sierra Designs, Mountain HardWear, EMS, REI, NorthFace and A16, Big Agnes and Marmot occupy the "high ground" of tent quality. You cannot go wrong with any of them, as there's not a skunk in the lineup. There are likely better prices out there than Siera Trading Post, but folks are quite impulsive and want it "right now", as compared to us "auction watchers".
        Last edited by tplife; 07-09-2014, 10:40 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The current Sierra Designs tent designs are quite interesting. They are doing a lot with hybrid double-wall/single wall tents to save weight.

I suspect of these tents are made in the same half dozen factories in SE Asia and China. They all mix and match the same range of poles and fabrics -- some emphasize durability a little more (Marmot doesn't use any ultra-lightweight fabrics or marginal waterproofing). Others sacrifice durability for reduced weight (Big Agnes). I think you have to consider the conditions where you will be camping and pick the appropriate tradeoffs.

For example, if you camp on the Texas plains, you better look for a particularly robust pole configuration to handle the wind. Or, in rocky New Hampshire, consider whether those gossamer thin ultralight floors are going to handle the beating of the terrain.

Comment

I live just off the low desert of California...surely you've seen my Sierra Designs links in 50+ mph conditions with my daughter sleeping soundly inside?!? Sierra Designs tents are sketched out right here in California and jobbed far overseas as our "great leaders" can't suffer to bend a metal wire into a paper clip without a host of engineers and overseers who make anything impossible...but they own many of the design patents you see in so many designs for hub, clip, pole and attachment schemes. We have some of the products due to their quality/production/cost outcomes.

Last edited by tplife; 07-09-2014, 11:45 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

hwc, thank you SO much! I had been skipping most of the tents you listed due to the price point, but that 35% coupon puts them all right in our range! I truly can't thank you enough. I love, love, LOVE the Marmot, with the Kelty in a close second place. Here I was thinking I was still a couple seasons out from getting my dream tent, and *poof*, there it is! LOL! I really appreciate your thoughtful and information filled reply, and the heads up on the coupon. I have had such fantastic luck with my current plan B tent, I really didn't want to end up with a no-name lemon-tent and pay the price in the long run.

tp, those windstorm vids are intense! That is truly a testament to the sturdy design of the Sierra tents. Wow!

Comment

Yeah.... just watched the Halo 4 video on the Marmot site... is it possible to be in love with a tent? :love:

But alas, Longpants would probably kill me or divorce me if I spent over $400 on a 4 person tent. ROFL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                  The $89 Alps Mountaineering is your standard el cheapo 4P dome tent, two fiberglass poles. Marginally ly waterproof 1000mm coated fabrics, Polyethelyene floor. I wouldn't want to ride out much rain in it, but it would work fine in a lean to or for a back yard campout.
                  I'd been on the fence about that tent for a couple of months. I had a Eureka "cheapo" with roughly those same specs and same construction for at least 10 years. Put up a decent sized tarp over it and I never had an issue with it. I rode out many a thunderstorm in that setup.

Had I caught your telling us about Sierra's coupons yesterday, I probably would have jumped on it as soon as I saw a coupon code in my email. But, as it is, I took the plunge on a solo tent and got a Big Agnes Lone Spring 1. Campsaver.com had a 20% off coupon and a free footprint offer I couldn't resist. Not knowing if my truck is ever going to run right again, I'm setting up for "minimalist car camping".

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                    Is it possible to be in love with a tent?
                    Oh yeah it is! I've been drooling over the Marmot Thor 3 for months but can't bring myself to drop that much cash on a tent I can't stand up in.

Comment

shortpants:

The best deal I see on the Halo 4 right now is $339 with free shipping from Moontrail:

http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-halo-4p-tent.php

The best you might ever see it is 30% off or $300.

------------------------

Marmot also makes the Limestone 4 P. It uses the same heavy 12mm poles as the Halo, but with two brow pole bars to spread the front and back walls out nearly vertical. I got one of these for my daughter and had it set up on the basement (with a big red bow on it Christmas morning). It's a super nice tent. Same fabrics as the Halo, but with a thicker, heavier floor. Maybe not quite as good in a windstorm, but very solid. The main difference is that it only has one door. Best I've seen right now is $250 with free shipping (last year's model):

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11496420

The also make the Limelight, a very similar tent with 2 doors, but lighter poles. It is sold as a package with a free footprint and gear loft. Moontrail has it for $269 with free shipping:

http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-limelight-4p-tent.php

That a perfect example of how the tradeoffs work. If you don't need the tent to handle big wind, you might prefer the two doors of the Limelight. But, the Limestone will be more solid at the same price -- they traded the cost of the extra door for heavier poles and burlier floor. The Halo 4 has both, and costs more.
                      Last edited by hwc1954; 07-10-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

MacGyver:

That looks like a nice tent! Big Agnes stuff always looks good and finding sales on their stuff is hard!

Great minds must think alike. I scored a little backpacking tent, too. After breaking my back with a 49 pound pack last week, my eyes lit up on a 38% off sale price with free shipping on a Marmot Eclipse:

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-mrmtec2...ltralight-tent

I've got it hanging in the basement after giving it the full permethrin spritz treatment outside yesterday when it arrived. Just one door, but it's really a solo camping tent.

http://youtu.be/-glO9txeZ1A

Comment

Working...
                        X