Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are going west for the first time, feel like newbes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are going west for the first time, feel like newbes.

I have never been west of Illinois so my hubby and I are planning a trip down Route 66 to Albuquerque, NM this in October. We will be camping at the Turquoise Trail Campground in Cedar Crest, NM. We are really looking forward to hiking in the Petroglyph National Monument and the riding Sandia Peak Tram, and a day in Santa Fe.

Is someone able to tell us what to expect camping in New Mexico? We are from Indiana and camp in Northeast Indiana and Southern Michigan. Camping here is simple. We don't use many disposable items; we usually wash our dishes, strain the water and pour it on the ground. We see the campground has a dish washing station and does not allow waste water to be poured on the ground. Will we need to do anything special with our food? We usually keep it in the car at night and when we are away from camp. The most we usually have to worry about are Raccoons, possums, and coyotes. We know campfires are not allowed so we will be taking our stove. We know it will be cold at night and will take gear that is appropriate. We understand the usual precautions such as no food in the tent. Is there anything special we need to know?

Re: We are going west for the first time, feel like newbes.

Where did you hear that campfires are not allowed? If it is anything like Arizona everything is dry now but once the monsoons start up (monsoon season started a week or so ago here) the fire restrictions are relaxed.

As far as food goes I don't normally worry about animals unless the area I am in is known for bears or something I just leave it in the cooler and latch it with a bungee cord or something. Haven't had a problem yet....maybe I am just lucky though.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Re: We are going west for the first time, feel like newbes.

Thanks James! When we made our reservation the campground told us gas stoves only, no charcoal and no campfires. She said there was a communal campfire if there was no burn ban. Maybe it is just this campground.

I am hoping if there is a bear problem they will have bear boxes. Right now we are careful with our food storage so the critters raid the other campsites. I am amazed by how many campers leave food out on the picnic tables and then are surprised when they find the critters had a party with their food. The next night they leave it out again.

Comment

Working...
      X