Tent Modding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Modding?

So who has tips and tricks for modding an existing tent? I have been pouring over videos and drooling over pictures of the Danish Outwell tents. There are so many handy features and the design seems very family friendly. For some reason, the tunnel tents make my stecker pick out... and I don't even have one! ROFL!

So this is the OT 12'x16' cabin tent we have now:

And without the rainfly:

Two doors, front and back. Sewn in room divider that makes two 8'x12' rooms. The front room becomes the screen room, and the back is the "bedroom" (we put two queen mattresses in there now).

Basically, I'm debating about adding to the rainfly to give us more shade, or even make one of the three-sided "porch" areas in the front of the tent like the Outwell tents. Am I totally certifiably crazy for wanting to sew a custom rainfly? I would seal all seams up the wazoo, of course.

I also want to add some of the interior clips (like on the Outwell) to be able to clip in some hanging storage or a closet rod/drying rack. Getting the clips sewn in doesn't daunt me, as I could easily loop them around the poles through the mesh roof from inside, but how much additional weight can I really expect to hang from the fiberglass poles that make the roof?

I also hate the back door and wall of the tent. I see the point of a second door I guess, but we NEVER use it and actually our beds sit right in front of it. The rainfly on the back also sits right on the back wall of the tent, no overhang at all, so when it does rain I am petrified it will be dripping on our heads or pooling on the floor in no time. So far this hasn't happened, but never say never. LOL! I considered also adding to the rainfly in the back to have just a small overhang there, so at least it wouldn't be pouring rain into the tent if you did happen to use that door.

Yes, we do currently use a monster 16'x24' tarp over the tent if heavy rains are predicted and that solves some of my shade/rain concerns, but often we end up using our huge tarp over the campfire/eating/cooking area, which leaves the tent out in the open.

I dunno, just brainstorming ideas the last few days... probably going to put up the tent in the backyard today and do some sketching. Thoughts or experiences anyone?
    Last edited by Shortpants; 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Tent Modding?

as far as the extra awning/shade. I would just watch the sporting goods ads, and pick up a ez up. I got one for about $60 and it works well. If needed, you could add some sides to that and make you a quick cooking shanty.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I had looked at those when we bought the tent, but we just don't have the room for another piece of gear. At the moment we have a VW Jetta sedan that we stuff 4 people and all our gear in, it's tight... haha!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I agree with KingQuad. Forget about awnings and tarps. Get the biggest screen tent you can find. Pound for pound, inch for inch, minute for minute, the screen tent will give you better comfort and protection

Comment

I like the windscreen on the Outwell site. I wouldn't mind having one of those. Not necessarily for wind, but for some privacy at these East Coast campgrounds.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks guys, I did some looking last night and found a couple screen tents that *might* work. They are big enough for the picnic table, but pack up quite small considering the size. Since I'm trying to thin down on the other gear we bring, maybe I can make some room.

I liked the windscreens too GH. I debated about easy DIY options on those though, should be relatively easy to copy.

Comment

Working...
            X