Looking for this tent (with a twist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for this tent (with a twist)

Definitely not looking for an upgrade here. I'm going nostalgic and trying to recreate my first camping experience. It starts with me trying to find this style tent:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04737.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	72731

The one I camped in didn't have the fly, but it did have the two pole setup and the T zip door. I've been all over the Internet for a couple of months, trying every search term I can think of, and was happy just to find that picture. Unfortunately, it was on a 7-year-old blog page, and not on a site selling 'em.

So... the long shot question is, does anyone know where I might find this tent, with or without the fly? I've seen a vintage French military version that comes close, but I'm really more interested in the "cheapy" version. That also rules out the questionable Big Agnes Scout. I almost jumped on that one until I read a lot of reviews that listed issues I wouldn't expect with a $300 tent.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-04-2014, 08:27 PM.

Re: Looking for this tent (with a twist)

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    Definitely not looking for an upgrade here. I'm going nostalgic and trying to recreate my first camping experience. It starts with me trying to find this style tent:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4600[/ATTACH]

The one I camped in didn't have the fly, but it did have the two pole setup and the T zip door. I've been all over the Internet for a couple of months, trying every search term I can think of, and was happy just to find that picture. Unfortunately, it was on a 7-year-old blog page, and not on a site selling 'em.

So... the long shot question is, does anyone know where I might find this tent, with or without the fly? I've seen a vintage French military version that comes close, but I'm really more interested in the "cheapy" version. That also rules out the questionable Big Agnes Scout. I almost jumped on that one until I read a lot of reviews that listed issues I wouldn't expect with a $300 tent.
    Sorry, I was going to suggest the french military surplus tent.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Any of these?

from here: http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Back.../dp/B0006V2B2I

from here: http://www.mygofer.com/coleman-6'-x-...W546689110001P
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

from here: http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-1904-.../dp/B000P9EZPW

Good luck finding it! I had an orange one just like your pic as a kid.
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Oooo... Getting closer!

from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRENCH-ARMY-...p2054897.l5658

from here: http://store.colemans.com/cart/tan-t...on-p-1945.html

from here: http://store.colemans.com/cart/frenc...nt-p-2004.html

Comment

(Chuckling) Well, shortpants... I've seen all of those. The actual pup tents don't have the side walls and all of the other ones, except for the tan one are French military. The military tents are all dark colored which I can picture heating up really fast, something I'm looking to avoid. The one I would want - the tan one - has been sold out on Coleman's site for at least a couple of months. No idea why they don't take it off the list. But thanks for looking for me!

Comment

I kinda figured, but never hurts to try, right?

Comment

I have an old orange pup tent. No fly. A lot like the Texsport 1904 that shortpants shows except orange

I bought it used, for nostalgia like you. We used these when I was a kid. When it rained, we got wet. That is what I remember most about these tents. BUT they were lightweight. Ditch the poles and it is as lightweight as they come

Despite the nostalgic appeal, I added a tarp. Used it only once so far

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                  I kinda figured, but never hurts to try, right?
                  Nope! LOL

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I have an old orange pup tent. No fly. A lot like the Texsport 1904 that shortpants shows except orange

I bought it used, for nostalgia like you. We used these when I was a kid. When it rained, we got wet. That is what I remember most about these tents. BUT they were lightweight. Ditch the poles and it is as lightweight as they come

Despite the nostalgic appeal, I added a tarp. Used it only once so far
                  Nostalgia's one thing, getting wet and miserable is another. Even if I do find what I'm looking for, I can't see me not putting up a tarp just in case.

I thought I had a winner with this one. Unfortunately, it's only 74" long and I'm 6 feet tall. Too tight for comfort.

Comment

My friend has a similar tent they use, almost identical, just a bit bigger (and purple). It is an LL Bean tent from when they were branding their own tents....maybe that will help you in yout search.

Comment

Working...
                    X