Backpacking Trial run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking Trial run

So, I've been outfitting myself for overnight backpacking trips and I made the trial run this week. I figured I would do something "easy" (ha... or so I thought), picking an unusual (for the White Mountains) flat trail. Six miles, each way (turned out to be 6.9). What was I thinking? I totally underestimated the impact of 49 pounds after a few miles on a hot muggy day. I could have driven an extra 30 miles and done a 1.5 mile hike in from the other direction. That would have been perfect....

I was a hurtin' doggy by the time I got there. Probably the hardest hike I've ever done. And, it took me twice as long as I expected, so I rolled in just before sundown and had to scurry to pitch the tent and towel off in the ice cold lake before cooking dinner by the light of the moon.

The actual camping part was great. All my gear worked well. No snafus. Very comfortable. Packed well.

Gorgeous place. Sawyer Pond. There a log shelter and six tent sites spread throughout the woods along the shore. Two outhouse toilets. I went on Monday night and had the entire place to myself. I never saw another soul until I was hiking back out the next afternoon when a mom and two kids were hiking in to camp in the shelter.

I need to work on three things: getting a little weight out of the pack, picking shorter backpacking hikes, and getting a little stronger with a big load.

Here's the epic video (with high-def full screen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhH-q7vq7g

And some photos:

Re: Backpacking Trial run

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb Up Camping.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	69884

Sweet pics!

Comment

Love the pics and video! I had been eyeballing Sawyer Pond myself, so it's very handy to see the pictures, thank you! Looks like a fantastic place, simply gorgeous.
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Wow, nice place to camp!

it is Hard to tell from the video but if you are the guy in the beginning of the vid, a 25 lb pack would be around 25% to 30% of your body weight. That would not be considered excessive and should not be too challenging for a healthy person, even if you are not in great shape

My guess is that your pack might not be adjusted correctly. Almost all the weight of the pack should be on your hips via the hip belt. The shoulder straps just hold the pack to your body. You should not have much load on your shoulders

Comment

Haha, thats why we do the trial runs....to work the bugs out, right?

It was a great video. I would like to see more of us make videos of our camping trips. Watching these makes me yearn for the outdoors. Thanks for sharing.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

It was 31% of my body weight. Actually, the pack itself was relatively comfortable. It's a fantastic pack. Definitely carries the weight on my hips. In fact, the hips where I felt it the most, in same way that I feel it after a long steep descent.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              Haha, thats why we do the trial runs....to work the bugs out, right?
              Actually, other than the death march in and out, the actual camping trial run was a smashing success. Every bit of the kit I assembled worked well. Tent was great. Sleeping pad was awesome. Pillow was fine. I had used the sleeping bag before (a very light 40 degree Marmot down summer bag. Water filter worked. And the bear cannister kept my munchies safe from vicious chipmunks (I really hope that I never test it against a bear....)

I made two mistakes. I carried too much water. I think you have carry a little bit too much on a hot muggy day when you HAVE to keep drinking (as it was, I lost 3 pounds). But, with the filter and predictable water sources, I really only need to carry enough for the trail. But, I had not used the water filter before (other than a test run at the sink) and I didn't want to find myself six miles from nowhere with no water. Now, I'm more confident.

The other mistake was underestimating the added difficulty of going from a day pack -- even a winter day pack with snow shoes lashed to it -- up to 50 pounds. The good news is that I could manage the weight, even doing a little rock hopping to cross a river, but I was really slow and really exhausted after 3 to 4 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                The good news is that I could manage the weight, even doing a little rock hopping to cross a river, but I was really slow and really exhausted after 3 to 4 miles.
                I hike with my photography gear a lot and find the same thing. I know I'm capable of carrying that weight, but it really does tire me out quicker. So, when I'm out searching for a new photo op, I usually just carry the minimal. Then, once I know how far away the photo op is, I determine what equipment I really want to take, how much more that equipment will slow me down, and how much more time I need at the location to recoup for the hike back.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Great video, I hope to post a lot of similar content here once I get past this moderated 'probation' period.

Comment

Working...
                  X