Expensive tarp vs cheap plastic tarp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive tarp vs cheap plastic tarp

Anyone use a 'high performance' tarp like this?

http://www.rei.com/product/808940/ke...s-tarp-12-x-12

I've been using the cheap (blue/brown/silver/white) tarps for years as extra rainfly or often over a picnic table. Sometimes the cheap tarp can be a hassle to set-up if there is not a convenient configuration of trees surrounding the pad but mostly its no problem.

Any thoughts? What features make the fancy ones attractive?

Re: Expensive tarp vs cheap plastic tarp

Just a friendly bump as I have always wondered that myself. I know weight and versatility are factors, but I've always used the good `ol cheap tarps too and debated if I should be considering these higher end tarps.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

never used an expensive tarp
      but guessing better quality means, packs smaller/lighter, also long term durability,
      extensive sun/weather exposure degrades many fabrics and over time they fail,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelty Tarp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	69887

I use the Kelty Noah's tarp. Can be easy to setup, only requires 4 guidelines. Tarps made for camping have tie outs (sometimes in addition to grommets as in the Noah tarp). Tie outs are stronger than grommets and can be added in places that grommets are not appropriate (see tie outs on ridgeline in above photo). Camping tarps also come in shapes other than rectangles. Camping tarps also come in a variety of material options; polyester, silnylon, cuben... with the weight of the tarp decreasing as price increases.

If you watch the sales you can find the Kelty Noah 16x16 for less then $75.

Comment

I use a Noah's 12x12. I like it. I can put it in a compression sack and it takes up not room what so ever. I use it car camping to make a shade area, to eat or play under. I use it hammock camping to cover my hammock. I use it when I hike, if a shower pops up, I can be dry. Showers don't last long here, just under an hour usually. It is a good piece of gear if you know how to use it.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I've had the Noah 16 in my shopping cart on Amazon for probably close to a year. Seen the price go up and down and up and down... It's now sitting at $75. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is that there are no tie outs on the centers. It's designed to go up "diamond shaped". I want what I guess you'd call A-frame shaped. I'm sure I could add my own tie outs but, even though I like MacGyvering stuff, I've never been a fan of modifying new products. It's a real shame - the closest thing to it's size in SilNylon costs 2 or 3 times the Noah's price.

I'm sure I'll get a lightweight tarp one of these days but, as it is, I have several silver tarps in different sizes depending on how I'm camping, how many people might need some coverage and whether or not there's any expected rain. I like that they're available in dozens of sizes and at dozens of stores. I also like that they're relatively cheap. If a cinder pops out of the fire or a branch falls and damages my $40 tarp, I'm not so inclined to get upset. A little tarp tape and it's "got character". A $75 Noah getting damaged? That's heading into cursing territory. A $200 SilNylon getting damaged??? $#%&!!!!!
            Last edited by MacGyver; 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I have not found a good value mix for tarps. You have the cheap woven poly tarps from the hardware store. They are strong and do the job and cheap, but the are bulky and noisy and an eyesore.

Then, you have the nylon tarps that are compact and quite and attractive, and cost more than a tent.

what to do? what to do?

Well, what you do is buy an old tent. Cut it up, sew if needed ,and use that for a tarp If you get a wall tent with flooring and slit the sides down to the floor, you end up with a very nice sized piece of waterproof nylon tarp.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                I have several silver tarps in different sizes depending on how I'm camping, how many people might need some coverage and whether or not there's any expected rain. I like that they're available in dozens of sizes and at dozens of stores. I also like that they're relatively cheap. If a cinder pops out of the fire or a branch falls and damages my $40 tarp, I'm not so inclined to get upset. A little tarp tape and it's "got character". A $75 Noah getting damaged? That's heading into cursing territory. A $200 SilNylon getting damaged??? $#%&!!!!!
                Ditto this. I've always been an el cheapo tarp person, and this is the reason I'll probably never take the leap to the fancy tarps. But ya never know!
                Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I have not found a good value mix for tarps. You have the cheap woven poly tarps from the hardware store. They are strong and do the job and cheap, but the are bulky and noisy and an eyesore.

Then, you have the nylon tarps that are compact and quite and attractive, and cost more than a tent.

what to do? what to do?

Well, what you do is buy an old tent. Cut it up, sew if needed ,and use that for a tarp If you get a wall tent with flooring and slit the sides down to the floor, you end up with a very nice sized piece of waterproof nylon tarp.
                  You sir, are a genius. Craigslist is full of old tents for sale on the cheap that would be great for this.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

I have a Noah's Tarp 12 x 12. I'm actually on my second one. My daughter absconded with my first one. Packs really small. Lightweight. Easy to set up solo. Catenary cut, so it pitched taught. Grommets and pullouts at the four corners. The 12 x 12 had three more pullouts on each side, including the middles for an a-frame pitch.

It's just a piece of polyurethane coated polyester ripstop. Nothing fancy, but it serves the purpose -- a dry base of operations in the event of a rain shower. If I put it up, it doesn't rain. If I don't put it up, it does rain. So, it's worth putting it up!

Comment

I've had the Noah 16 in my shopping cart on Amazon for probably close to a year. Seen the price go up and down and up and down... It's now sitting at $75.
                      Check out http://camelcamelcamel.com/ it's a Amazon price tracker and you can see how the Amazon prices change and get email alerts when the price gets down to what you want to pay.

I can't stand to have one of those cheap tarps hanging in my camp. They're just so noisy it really bugs me. Every time the wind blows or some rain falls they make too much noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Jack View Post
                        Check out http://camelcamelcamel.com/ it's a Amazon price tracker and you can see how the Amazon prices change and get email alerts when the price gets down to what you want to pay.
                        Great link! Bookmarked. And thanks!

Originally posted by Yukon Jack View Post
                        I can't stand to have one of those cheap tarps hanging in my camp. They're just so noisy it really bugs me. Every time the wind blows or some rain falls they make too much noise.
                        I can't say I've ever noticed noise from wind, maybe because I have bungees on every tie out, keeping things taut but flexible. But, yeah, they are definitely noisy in the rain. I've come to really like that noise, I guess because it means the rain is falling on the tarp and not my head. I've actually found myself lulled to sleep by a heavy downpour and it's constant barrage of water hitting the tarp.

Comment

Great link! Bookmarked. And thanks!

I can't say I've ever noticed noise from wind, maybe because I have bungees on every tie out, keeping things taut but flexible. But, yeah, they are definitely noisy in the rain. I've come to really like that noise, I guess because it means the rain is falling on the tarp and not my head. I've actually found myself lulled to sleep by a heavy downpour and it's constant barrage of water hitting the tarp.
                          I lived in a attic apartment when I was younger and loved the sound of rain on the tin roof. I know that the sound of rain can be very restful but don't care for the sound on a tarp. In a heavy downpour there is probably something to be said for the cheap tarps though because, at least when they're new, they tend to be more waterproof than a coated nylon tarp.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                            The 12 x 12 had three more pullouts on each side, including the middles for an a-frame pitch.
                            Do you happen to know if the 16 has them in the middle? All the pictures on the Internet seem to be of the same model, whether you're looking at the 9, the 12 or the 16.

Comment

Here's a very large picture of the Noah 16. It does not appear to have pullouts in the center of each side:

http://www.armadillotimes.com/wp-con...5/IMG_0461.jpg

Here's another that does show center pullouts:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...0/IMG_1023.jpg

I wonder if they made a change to the product. Mine is fairly new.

I would note that a 16 x 16 tarp is a very large tarp. I'm not sure I could pitch it by myself with the poles. I'd probably have to anchor at least the first side to a tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X