No announcement yet.

How Do I Add Warmth to a 3 Season Pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Add Warmth to a 3 Season Pad?

I currently own a 30"x80" sleeping pad that has a "minimum temperature zone of 30-40 degrees Farenheit." It is the Nemo Cosmo XL. I haven't used it much yet, but from what I have read, it is comfortable down to right around 40 degrees. If I would like to camp down to around freezing, what might be a good way to make the pad a little warmer? I am looking for something that will be fairly cheap (under $50) and not take up much pack space. I would really like something that packed down to about the size of a standard Nalgene bottle or smaller. My first thought was one of my SOL emergency blankets placed under my pad, but I doubt that it would be very effective. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my best bet may be? Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: How Do I Add Warmth to a 3 Season Pad?

An emergency blanket will only keep you warmer if you wrap yourself inside of it. It retains warmth by holding heat you generate. It will not do anything as a barrier unless used in that manner. A good pad is 5.0 R-Value, if you have that, your alternatives would be better insulation, say a fleece liner or upgrade your sleeping bag.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
    X