Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent guaranteed to keep you dry is quite wet inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent guaranteed to keep you dry is quite wet inside!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    From Cool Hand Luke:
    "What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach." (With particular emphasis on the second part!)
    :lol:

I gotta try. Its in my nature.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

We bought 3 Sierra Designs Tents new-with-tags off Ebay: a 2-man Electron, model changeout, late season, 50% off, $200 retail, bought for $90.00. Got a 4-season 3-man tent that we later sold after deciding the floor layout wasn't quite what we were looking for, and got all our money back and a bit more, %60 off Ebay. The we bought a 6-man Bedouin model, $190.00, a tent that has an MSRP in excess of $500.00. It takes some research, a little time following auctions, and following through. I would say that after 3 purchases it's pretty clear anybody can do this. Any of the top brands would be just as good of a deal, Sierra Deisigns has higher production numbers so you tent to get more auctions, better patented design features and great prices. Once more if you missed it" If you have access to a computer and a credit card or bank account, you can do this too. It also works for sleeping bags, but that's another discussion.
      Last edited by tplife; 07-05-2014, 08:04 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Surprise us, tp. Put up a post that doesn't include an insult.

Comment

The "cheap tent" vs "quality tent" debate will rage on forever, and never the `twain shall meet. The bottom line is, some of us don't have the means to go dump $300-$1000+ on tents and camping gear, so we get the best we can that hits as many items on our want list as possible, but still remains in the budget.

When we decided to start camping as a family a couple years ago, I had just been laid off from my job of 13 years, then discovered a few months later we were expecting #2. So needless to say, we weren't rolling in disposable cash. But, being a firm believer that family camping is one of the best experiences ever, I decided to go for it and start re-gearing. My 20 year old Coleman 7'x7' dome tent (that never leaked once in 20 years, btw...) obviously was not going to work for us any longer. So a-shopping I went... Of course I started with REI, Big Agnes, Marmot, Sierra Designs, but became increasingly discouraged because our tent budget would just barely cover a 2 man tent. Nope, not gonna work. I spent almost a year researching tent options, camping the ebay auctions, spending hours upon hours trying to find something that would work for us. In the end, the tent that hit most of our "want list", all of our "need list", and fit in our budget at the time, was the oft misaligned cheap-o tent from that mass retailer we all love to hate. And you know, it is what it is. I don't expect it to perform like one of the high-dollar tents, and take proper precautions to do the best I can with what we can have at this point in time. Someday do I hope to upgrade to one of the top-o-the-line family tents? Well duuuuhhhh, of course I do! And if or when that day comes, I will dance a happy dance around the tent in my front yard. But that day has not come yet, so the item of paramount importance to me, when it comes down to it, is being able to give my family the amazing experience of tent camping, and if we have to make do with a "sub-par" (in your opinion) tent to do that, so be it.

To the OP: If I were you, I would probably exchange the tent you have either for the same one, or towards another that fits your needs, unless you want to try to repair the holes in the floor yourself. Once you do get a new tent I'd set the tent up at home, seam seal and waterproof spray the whole thing, then as a backup, grab a tarp big enough to cover the tent and a little overhang and if rain is predicted, just hang the tarp over the tent. Also pay close attention to positioning of the tent, if you were in a low spot or in the path of runoff, that would make the bathtub floor of your tent into a real bathtub. Sorry the experience went so miserable for you. Don't give up though, it can, and will, get better! Don't let one soggy trip discourage you, for every one bad trip there are hundreds and hundreds of great ones.
          Last edited by Shortpants; 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM.
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I've said it many times. The best tent is the one that gets you outdoors.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I've said it many times. The best tent is the one that gets you outdoors.
              + 5 bazillion rep points for this post! :D Even if all you got is a tarp, just get outside!
              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

This argument reminds me of the Canon lens debate. You've got the one side telling everyone to NEVER buy anything but L lenses and the other side saying that's hogwash.

My answer - buy the best that you can afford and use it as much as you can.

That expensive, high-quality tent doesn't do anyone any good written on a "must have list". If you can't afford to buy it, then no matter how good it is, it isn't going to keep you dry, safe, and warm while camping (or getting those photographs).

By buying what you can afford, you are out there camping (taking photographs). You may decide that for your way of camping (photography), you don't really need that expensive equipment.

That's why they make different price points for tents (lenses) - so folks of all walks of like can find something that works for them at a price they can afford.

With cameras and lenses, I bought the best I could afford. My ex-BIL waited until he could afford the "best". I spent 7 years out taking photos and enjoying it while he sat wishing he had a camera. When he finally got his, he was disappointed because something "better than the best" was due out within the year.

I full-heartedly add another +5 bazillion gazillion to James' post.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Aaaaand another + 5 bazillion rep points for toedtoes' post!

buy the best that you can afford and use it as much as you can

The important things are the fun, experience, knowledge that is gained, and adventure, not what you have for gear, top of the line or not. Tent camping is a lifelong learning process and a constantly morphing and changing pursuit. Learn from the not-so-hot trips and just make it better next time!
                  Last edited by Shortpants; 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    I full-heartedly add another +5 bazillion gazillion to James' post.
                    Is it strange that this made me happy?

It bothers me when people write James's.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

If I ever type it wrong, feel free to give me an internet smack.:slap:
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Is it strange that this made me happy?

It bothers me when people write James's.
                        This coming from a guy who needs to get ouRdoors? :winktongue:
                        Last edited by MacGyver; 07-07-2014, 05:16 AM.

Comment

I particularly like this fish slap smiley:

LOL!

Comment

Thanks shortpants
                            – E. B. White

Comment

There. Fixed it :mdr:
                              – E. B. White

Comment

There. Fixed it :mdr:
                                Much bedder

Comment

Working...
                                X