Eureka!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka!

I have the high camp, which is too hot for Texas most of the time. Last December it got down to 17 and it was pleasant inside that tent, finally. Just recieved the Amari pass 3 and am about to take it out for a week starting Friday. Without the rainfly, this is a screen house with a tub floor, so will let ya'll know how it works out.

Re: Eureka!

Ok, so got there and seen the need for some lawn care. So I went back and returned with a mower and cleaned up my favorite camping area. Big mistake. Will explain in a moment. Pitched the tent in less than 10 including stakeing it out. As expected it was a screen house with floor. Perfect with a nice breeze, however it was about to rain so up the rainfly went. Equally easy. Now this thing is supposed to sleep 3 but, I am only 5'10 at 225 and I would not have wanted anymore than myself in there. Really tight for a 3 person tent. So got it all put together and the rain passed. So before I went to sleep that night, I pulled the rainfly off. Great night, woke up, and my wifes wolf, yep a real live female wolf, put her claws through the screen door trying to get in. I patched it and everything was fine I thought, except... CHIGGERS! The next night had to go home and get the RN wife to inspect me. I was eaten alive during the mowing process and did not know it. From the waist down it was devastation. I got so much of the little heathens poison that I ended up with conjunctivitis. Felt like there was sand in my eyes, pure misery. Went to the doctor and got some kind of shot and my week outdoors cut to the one night I was out. Left the tent up all week and took it down Saturday. Came down easy, packed up easy in all a nice tent. A little small for what Eureka is claiming though. At 149 it was not too hard to unfist the money. Hope to get another shot soon.

Comment

Originally posted by texasfarmboy View Post
      Ok, so got there and seen the need for some lawn care. So I went back and returned with a mower and cleaned up my favorite camping area. Big mistake. Will explain in a moment. Pitched the tent in less than 10 including stakeing it out. As expected it was a screen house with floor. Perfect with a nice breeze, however it was about to rain so up the rainfly went. Equally easy. Now this thing is supposed to sleep 3 but, I am only 5'10 at 225 and I would not have wanted anymore than myself in there. Really tight for a 3 person tent. So got it all put together and the rain passed. So before I went to sleep that night, I pulled the rainfly off. Great night, woke up, and my wifes wolf, yep a real live female wolf, put her claws through the screen door trying to get in. I patched it and everything was fine I thought, except... CHIGGERS! The next night had to go home and get the RN wife to inspect me. I was eaten alive during the mowing process and did not know it. From the waist down it was devastation. I got so much of the little heathens poison that I ended up with conjunctivitis. Felt like there was sand in my eyes, pure misery. Went to the doctor and got some kind of shot and my week outdoors cut to the one night I was out. Left the tent up all week and took it down Saturday. Came down easy, packed up easy in all a nice tent. A little small for what Eureka is claiming though. At 149 it was not too hard to unfist the money. Hope to get another shot soon.
      :mdr: Serves you right for mowing the great outdoors

but glad to hear you are ok
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Texasfarmboy, can we assume you are from Texas?

You ain't experienced chiggers and ticks until you tried camping in Texas or its neighbor Oklahoma!

They have more chiggers than ants in Texas, I swear.

Between the heat, chiggers, ticks, scorpions, tarantula, droughts, wildfires, and poisonous snakes I was very glad to move farther north and get away from all that

Comment

Looks like a nice tent. I've been looking at the polite sangria series similar to that. In those situations I mix up some permethrin on a spray bottle. It kills redbugs (aka chiggers) and ticks on contact and lasts up to two weeks if the synthetic in petroleum base version. Just soak your pants and boots down and let them dry before donning. Spray the tent down when you put it up.

Comment

Yes, Texas it is. I should've known better and it won't happen again. Ruined something I was looking forward to for three months. Got one coming up last of Sept and one the last of December. It will get better.

Comment

Well James, I own these particular great outdoors and I keep them cleaned for both farming and camping. Let them get away a bit and redbugs were the result

Comment

Working...
              X