Air Mattress Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Mattress Question

My wife and I are looking at replacing our air mattress. Looking at maybe a double since we have never owned one. What's everyone's opinion.

Re: Air Mattress Question

Avoid double-sized pads. Two single pads can use "couplet" bands to keep them together. Consider Camprest or Megamat full-length products in 2" or thicker sizes, either 25" or 30" wide verions (Large and XL). REI and even CostCo carry knockoffs if you don't have the money for the quality brands. DO NOT buy air mattresses or cots. They are intended for heated enclosures, not outdoors. Their 0.75 R-values mean loss of warmth while you sleep. Get pads of 5.0 R-value (thermo neutral) or better.
    Last edited by tplife; 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would use two seperate. Tried the queen size and it was OK but if one moves the other is always disturbed.We switched to singles and I sleep better. If you aren't camping in COLD weather you should be fine with an air mattress. Many campers use them.

Comment

If you want to make your own couplers, buy some Velcro rolls and cut them to length. I made my couplers that way, my Velcro was free so it was really cheap.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'd go with two mattresses too, as each can be adjusted via pressure to suit each sleeper's preference. The best sleep I have had is on an air mattress! So very superior to any 'self deflator' pad.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
            I'd go with two mattresses too, as each can be adjusted via pressure to suit each sleeper's preference. The best sleep I have had is on an air mattress! So very superior to any 'self deflator' pad.
            That's correct, and many campers make the same mistakes over and over again (don't ask me how I learned this). Check the R-Value of your cot or air mattress - if the seller can't divulge it, you'll be losing good sleep typically when it's 50-degrees or less during your sleep. 5.0 R-values are considered thermo-neutral, meaning HEAT ISN'T BEING SUCKED OUT OF YOUR BODY INTO THE SELF INFLATING MATTRESS. Don't take my word for it, ask the person who sold you your cot or hollow-tube air mattress what its R-value is...
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ditto on the two air mattresses. My wife and I went to two twins. Three big advantages, 1. More comfortable for both of us. 2. If her's leaks, she uses mine. 3. Saves room in the tent. We have an 8x10 Kelty tent and two twin beds give us a lot more floor space.

Comment

Cheapest you can get and plan on replacing. They always develop leaks. I have some good pads, but the cheap air mattresses are hard to beat for car camping. In the weather we usually camp, we don't want the warmer pad. Its more often a problem of keeping cool enough.

Comment

Working...
                X