• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmot Limestone 6 or Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6

Opinions requested on these two tents
    http://m.rei.com/product/846639/big-...station-6-tent

Or

http://m.rei.com/product/863989/marm...estone-6p-tent

I will be taking a two week car camping trip this summer and be spending time at campsites on the beach and in the mountains in Colorado Ariz and California.

I want a durable bullet proof 3season tent that has 6' headroom, large front door window and excellent ventilation. Vestibule is a plus. These two seem to fit the bill but I'm having trouble choosing. I've seen and set up the Marmot and I like the setup with the cross poles and their aluminum poles seem very heavy duty - more so than Big Agnes poles I've see. The BA Tent has a great front vestibule configuration and also seems very solid.

Tent is for my wife and I.

Any opinion / help on deciding appreciated.

Re: Marmot Limestone 6 or Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6

The biggest difference between Marmot and Big Agnes tents is the waterproofing of the fly and floor (especially the floor). Marmot's 3-season tents are all rated to withstand the pressure of a 1800 mm column of water. The floors are rated to withstand a 3000 mm column of water. This is enough to provide true waterproofness under most conditions, and allow for the reduced performance that comes with use and age on the fabric.

The Big Agnes tents typically favor lightweight fabrics over water resistance. This tent is rated at 1500 mm for both the fly and the floor. That's fine for the fly, but pretty marginal for a tent floor. I can understand the design choice for ultralight backpacking tents: fragile, but light. I don't understand the thinking for car camping tents.

The Marmot Limestone series is quite heavy duty. Especially the floors. Because they are car camping tents, they use a heavier floor than the typical 3-season tent. Very nice tents.

If you want something that will handle a bit more wind, the Marmot Halo series are about as sturdy as a big 3-season family camping dome tent can be:

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-mrmthl6...ci_sku=MRMTHL6

It uses the same heavy poles as the Limestone, but in an even stronger more wind-shedding configuration.

Comment

The one thing that I don't like about either tent is the footprint is not included. The vestibule is included in the marmot, but not the BA. For that money, you should get the whole tent. I think you will do fine with either tent.
      But if you have enough room and I would go with a Kodiak Canvas Deluxe Bowflex. Right now, they are in the same price range as the other tents. Bombproof, easy to setup, and will last for decades. Check out this link for price. I am 6'2" and can stand up everywhere in the tent, not just the center.
      http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...l.aspx?ID=1149
      And this one for setup. Notice the size of the lady putting it up.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU
      Bombproof. Different manufacturer, same design.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0bZoGm9Is

Yes people with no experience or experience with 60's and 70's era will say stuff about the weight, but comparing those tents to newer canvas tent's is like comparing a flip phone to a Iphone 5. Just not the same.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        The one thing that I don't like about either tent is the footprint is not included. The vestibule is included in the marmot, but not the BA. For that money, you should get the whole tent. I think you will do fine with either tent.
        But if you have enough room and I would go with a Kodiak Canvas Deluxe Bowflex. Right now, they are in the same price range as the other tents. Bombproof, easy to setup, and will last for decades. Check out this link for price. I am 6'2" and can stand up everywhere in the tent, not just the center.
        http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...l.aspx?ID=1149
        And this one for setup. Notice the size of the lady putting it up.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU
        Bombproof. Different manufacturer, same design.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0bZoGm9Is

Yes people with no experience or experience with 60's and 70's era will say stuff about the weight, but comparing those tents to newer canvas tent's is like comparing a flip phone to a Iphone 5. Just not the same.
        Not that I disagree with you about the canvas tent. I hope to own one someday. But a 2 week car camping trip in multiple states including Arizona during the rainy season means he will likely have to pack it up wet.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

On a side note. You can post more often than once every 3 years :biggrin:
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            Not that I disagree with you about the canvas tent. I hope to own one someday. But a 2 week car camping trip in multiple states including Arizona during the rainy season means he will likely have to pack it up wet.

And that would suck. But packing any tent wet sucks, and any tent that gets put away wet needs to be setup to be dried out. I think any 3 of the tents mentioned so far (his and mine) would be a good choice. Forgive me for saying, but I don't think of AZ as a wet climate. What are you guys today 115?

Comment

The packed size and weight of the canvas tent would be a no-go for me.

Pack Weight: 68 lbs.

Pack Size: Tent-- Length 30 in. Diameter 13 in

Pack size: Poles-- Length 50 in. Diameter 5.5 in.

Comment

I guess it's a good thing the poles and tent body are in different bags then.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  And that would suck. But packing any tent wet sucks, and any tent that gets put away wet needs to be setup to be dried out. I think any 3 of the tents mentioned so far (his and mine) would be a good choice. Forgive me for saying, but I don't think of AZ as a wet climate. What are you guys today 115?
                  Nah...The monsoon season is just getting underway so it has cooled off considerably. Only 106 and cloudy today.

During the monsoons it will drop a ton of rain in a few hours and then be done....we also have haboobs blow through occasionally.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks very much for all of the helpful comments. I hadn't gotten any of your comments, before I needed to leave for my trip and I went ahead and purchase the big Agnes tent. Regarding the suggestions for getting a tent, initially my thought was to buy a 10 x 10 Springbar or Kodiak. My wife, however, said no to that idea feeling it would just be too heavy and take up too much room of our limited space in her CRV.
                    So I focused on finding finding a nylon tent and narrowed it down to the two mention in my original post.
                    I decided to get the big Agnes, because the vestibule that comes with it is very cool. Whole we were camping near Flagstaff it rained all night but we were able to cook inside the expansive vestibule it comes with. Also, by the way, I bought it from Mountain plus and they included a free footprint and the total price of the six person tent I thought was very reasonable buying from them.
                    If I had read the input from the poster above about the durability of marmots tent I may have made another decision. I went to REI and set up the Marmot limestone and was struck by how sturdy and tight the tent was. Bulletproof. However, didn't have the large vestibule of the big Agnes and also the big Agnes has a very large screen window which appealed to my wife and I greatly because we love to gaze out into the beautiful scenery that we are usually camping in. So far the big Agnes has been fine, very functional and spacious. my only concern is durability versus the other tent.

Comment

Working...
                    X