Dispersed Camping Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersed Camping Experiences?

I have been toying with the idea of trying out some of the free dispersed camping options in the VT/NH/ME area and wondered if anyone had any feedback or experiences with this. I am seeing that there are quite a few options scattered around, as well as in National Parks and on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail as well as other hiking trails. I camped at a shelter on Amity Pond when I was a teen, and really enjoyed it. But I read reviews and posts that the free camping areas are often used by locals for party spots, very dirty due to careless campers, over run with ticks, etc. I envision this lovely, free to stay, National Park setting and don't want to find that it ends up being an uncomfortable pit of trash and human waste. *shudder*

Thanks in advance for any feedback or info!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Dispersed Camping Experiences?

Unfortunately you are right. There is no campground host to come behind people to clean up. I have a spot that I like, and it seems like every time I go up there, I spend half the day working on. Just getting rid of the crap in the fire pit, getting rid of half burnt logs, etc. People are pigs and if it is spot that is easily accessible, it is probably going to be trashed.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm almost glad there are no dispersed camping areas around here. I see how people trash sites in our over-regulated parks, so I can easily imagine the piles of crap we'd be looking at in remote, unpoliced areas. Hell... even the highways and back roads around here are littered with more trash than any responsible person wants to look at... allowing people to disappear in the woods? Ummm... NOPE!

Comment

I only do dispersed camping but it is different here in Arizona. Dispersed camping is anywhere that isn't a campground. I think cars have to stay within a couple hundred feet of a road but with all the forest roads that isn't a problem.

Still, what I usually do is decide on a couple options for a camping trip. That way if someone has pitched a tent where I want to be or if it is a new site that isn't what I thought it would be it isn't a big deal. I have still had to deal with the trash of others but nothing like what you guys are talking about.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Could you be a little more specific about dispersed camping and what you have in mind?

Here's in NH, there are two types of dispersed camping. There are back country tent sites and shelters, usually at least a 3 mile walk from the nearest road. Often, VERY remote up steep trails, although some are on flatter land.

These typically have a composting pit toilet. Some have a caretaker who sleeps in a tent there and keeps order. The caretaker sites generally charge a nominal fee. Others are just out in the woods with no charge. They are all first come first serve.

Here's a partial list.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...es-profile.cfm
          http://hikethewhites.com/shelters.html

I'm planning to hike into this one to try out my new backpacking tent. I've got a couple more in mind to try:

http://hikethewhites.com/sawyerpond.html
          http://mountainwandering.blogspot.co...-hazy-and.html

As a rule, I think these are a pleasant camping experience. Mostly pretty hard-core backpackers doing extended hikes.

The second kind of dispersed camping are car camping sites where you pull off the side of a road. The most popular place for that has been on Tripoli road, connecting I-93 with Waterville Valley. Looks like they may be charging a fee:

http://icampnh.com/about/tripoli-road/

It's mostly high school and college age kids, pull off the side of the road, pitch a tent, and party hard. Sounds like pretty unpleasant camping if you aren't drinking heavily. There are so many nice park service and private campgrounds, that I can't really see the appeal of that. Mid-week, Lafayette Campground in Franconia Notch, the largest state park campground with toilets and showers ($25 a night) has been mostly empty whenever I hike through it. Probably hopping on weekends.

I have a little private campground near Lincoln where I camp. Brookside tent sites. Good showers. Lots of pop-up campers, family camping, etc. I don't mind the neighbors. Everyone is cooking dinner, sitting around campfires, and then quiet hours by 10ish. Here's the site I've had the last couple of times:

Comment

Exactly my concern Kingsquad, people are pigs and I don't want to show up expecting to camp and relax and end up cleaning up after someone else. I do that for our two kids and hubby at home, I certainly don't want to do it for total strangers that don't give a rat's hind end when I'm camping! I'd like to think that these sites are appreciated by the folks that use them and they would respect others that come after them, but like MacGyver said, "I can easily imagine the piles of crap we'd be looking at in remote, unpoliced areas". So frustrating!

James also mentioned the other concern I had... no reservations at these dispersed areas,so what if we choose a place, show up and they are full? Having a second option already in mind is the best solution, I suppose. According to what I've read so far regarding camping in our National Forests, "Visitors can camp anywhere on the forest unless the area is posted closed to camping, while staying the recommended 200 feet from roads, trails, and bodies of water to disperse impact. Camp in existing sites, and do not cut any vegetation." But I will admit to being one of those people that like to know what I'm walking into before I get there, so maybe a couple day trips to go scope things out first would be in order.

hwc1954, thank you so much for all the info! I have been eyeballing the White Mtns as a destination area as we have friends we camp with that are from Lancaster/Berlin, and also from Maine, so the Whites are a good central point for us all to meet. To answer your question... all of the above. LOL! I know of a few trail shelters that aren't too far of a hike, my hubby isn't much of a hiker, plus the two little ones in tow makes for a hard trek 3-5 miles in to a shelter. Might wait until the girls are a little older before we try that option. But I do know of sites like Amity Pond in Pomfret, VT where one of the two shelters on the trails is relatively close to the road, so that would work for us. I've checked out Sawyer Pond too! That looks like a simply gorgeous hike and shelter, I am jealous and hope to check it out someday. The second option that you listed is probably what I am leaning towards, I started with this list:
            http://freecampsites.net/#!Vermont&query=region
            and that in turn led me to the National Forest site with more info about the camping options there. We have mainly stuck with State Park campgrounds as I "break in" hubby to camping. I really don't want to scare him away by going too far, too fast, kwim? He's enjoyed it so far, but I don't know how he'll take to poo-ing in the woods or no running water just yet. haha! Thanks so much for the links and pics! Although it just makes me want to go more!

Many thanks to everyone!
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I have been using google maps and google earth to scout out new locations from my computer with some success. Day trips are, of course the best route, but some of the sites I want to go to are 4+ hours away.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

I'm guessing the higher population back east is what tends to cause the issues with the dispersed camping in that region. My experience in AZ has been similar to James' - that of course, there are times when you come across a dispersed camping spot where pigs (ahem, I mean individuals less considerate of their outdoor footprint than my family) have left trash, but for the most part I find people have been quite respectful of how they leave a dispersed camping spot.

I hope you find several nice spots in VT/NH/ME and have a great experience to share with us in a few weeks.
                Nights camping in 2014: 18
                Nights camping in 2015: 24
                Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                  I have been toying with the idea of trying out some of the free dispersed camping options in the VT/NH/ME area and wondered if anyone had any feedback or experiences with this. I am seeing that there are quite a few options scattered around, as well as in National Parks and on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail as well as other hiking trails. I camped at a shelter on Amity Pond when I was a teen, and really enjoyed it. But I read reviews and posts that the free camping areas are often used by locals for party spots, very dirty due to careless campers, over run with ticks, etc. I envision this lovely, free to stay, National Park setting and don't want to find that it ends up being an uncomfortable pit of trash and human waste. *shudder*

I'm wondering if it's mostly the dispersed areas that are closest to highways that can be teenage messy.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I think it's the "free camping" that has led to traditional party hard camping areas, spread by word of mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                      I have been toying with the idea of trying out some of the free dispersed camping options in the VT/NH/ME area and wondered if anyone had any feedback or experiences with this. I am seeing that there are quite a few options scattered around, as well as in National Parks and on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail as well as other hiking trails. I camped at a shelter on Amity Pond when I was a teen, and really enjoyed it. But I read reviews and posts that the free camping areas are often used by locals for party spots best private campgrounds in ontario, very dirty due to careless campers, over run with ticks, etc. I envision this lovely, free to stay, National Park setting and don't want to find that it ends up being an uncomfortable pit of trash and human waste. *shudder*

We've been planning our 2023 camping trips. To my surprise I am finding that most private campgrounds are requiring a 50% or more nonrefundable deposit of the total fee. Is this the new norm? We have usually given one night's deposit to hold our reservation. Sometimes things happen to cause a cancellation. This big of a penalty seems unfair and more than likely the campground rents out the site. Is it greed or they trying to make up losses?

Comment

Working...
                      X