Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity in a tent ... safety precautions

Hi all.
    Will be going camping next. We have a large tent.
    We have a site with electricity and water.
    Electricity is needed due to having to have medical devices hooked up.

I have never used electricity in a tent before. Last year we rented a pop up but this year we are going to try tenting.
    I have my 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.
    I am trying to take all necessary safety precautions.
    Can I get any outdoor extension cord, or are there some safer than other re tent camping?
    How about power strips, are there ones specifically for camping outdoors?

Any other advise?

Thanks

J

Re: Electricity in a tent ... safety precautions

We have always used your basic neon orange outdoor cord and it's weathered some nasty storms. We unwind the whole thing. Warning label says not to use it while it's wound up, so we unwind the whole thing and try to make sure it isn't overlapping anywhere.
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I would skip the 16 guage cords. I would spend a little more on a good cord that will last for a while. Just be gentle with it and you may also want to pick up a 3 way, splitter or something to add more than one plug at a time.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I agree with Kingquad and would stay away from the 16 guage cord and of course don't leave any plugs outside where it can get wet. I would imagine that any outlet at a campsite would be GFCI protected but you can get an adapter just in case if you want.

Also, for anyone that doesn't know about this it is the only way I will store my cords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-eT6v2OBno
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

That us neat, James. Thanks

How do you coil the daisy chain for storage?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            That us neat, James. Thanks

How do you coil the daisy chain for storage?
            I personally don't double up the cord but knot it up from one end to the other. That way I can plug in one end and just run with it and let it unravel as I go. Never gets tangled. For storage I just drop the coil in a pile. I have two. One sits in the bed of my truck and the other on the floor of my garage. They hang well from a hook though.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

A real electrician would never just let his cord sit on the floor. A professional electrician hangs his up by a hook. Just saying.

Comment

If you're using sleep apnea devices, an AGM is an inexpensive way to go - compared to the "company" dc options with their premium costs. There's no reason for AC and it just limits your options in "the outback". If you can't get the AH required using deep discharge 12V, use cords and circuit breakers specially designed for wet environments.
                Last edited by tplife; 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  A real electrician would never just let his cord sit on the floor. A professional electrician hangs his up by a hook. Just saying.
                  :finger_sign:

And I thought I would never get a chance to use the secondary smileys
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post

Ha ha haAaaaaA

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post

That's awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Working...
                      X