Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Texas! Planning a mini-camping trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Texas! Planning a mini-camping trip.

So I moved to Texas about a month ago, and I wanna take this girl out for an overnight stay under the stars somewhere. We're located in Waxahachie and wanna keep the drive to 2 hours or under. I've got probably the best 5 places narrowed down within that distance, and wondering if anyone here has some opinions on them? My goal is to go around June 25th(New Moon), Leave during the morning or day, and stay one night, and if possible, without a tent, I have this light futon mattress that isn't being used that I'd love to lug out onto a field and sleep on that under the stars(I'd bring bug repellent stuff of course). That being said, the 5 places I've come down to are:
    Dinosaur Valley State Park
    Cooper Valley State Park
    Lake Tawakoni State Park
    Purtis Creek State Park
    Tyler State Park

Any help or input is greatly appreciated (: I'm looking for the best stargazing results, also the easiest place to do what I want pretty much(Lug that mattress out into a field, I realize a State Park may not be best for something like that, but I'm new to Texas and don't know any spots that would be) Thanks in advance!

Re: New to Texas! Planning a mini-camping trip.

I don't know texas but would suggest getting a tent that has a mesh top with a fly. You can leave the fly off and put it on in the event of rain but it will also help keep the bugs away.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Although I think being under the stars with no mesh or anything sounds a lot better. I figure I could buy some of those bug repellent Tiki torch things, and some spray, and whatever else they have at the store that Sounds nice. Although I definitely will look at some tents.

Comment

Welcome to TEXAS!
        Have lived in Texas for some time now and am currently living full-time in a tent traveling around the country...
        Texas in June is pretty warm if not downright hot...mosquitos are out at dusk in full force as well as other flying insects
        there are also chiggers most places that will drive one crazy with itching...and the places they find to bite you are unreal...
        two remedies for them are ABSORBINE JR. for itch relief...does burn if one has scratched skin raw...the other is clear nail polish, brushed on the welp that the chigger has left...it suffocates the chigger, which is invisible to the naked eye but still burrowing under the skin at the sight...
        We have a higher rate of west nile disease cases here in texas and mosquitos are the main cause...be prepared and have plenty of water on hand for drinking. We are in major drought conditions all over Texas so the amount of shade available may be diminished as a result of dead and dying trees...as well as lake levels dropping drastically in some places...
        There are also a large asst. of wild creatures to be found in the wild, including in State Parks (opossums, skunks, porcupines, deer, coyotes, javelina, scorpions, and snakes[poisonous/non-poisonous] just to list a few).

State parks in Texas and most other states as well,don't usually allow one to just throw a mattress down just anywhere. Sites are designated...
        Lake Tawakoni is a newer, small State Park from what I have read online. All the parks will probably be busy as it is summer vacation time
        and also close to the 4th of july weekend...folks in Texas extend the holidays a few days early or late depending when the holiday itself
        falls...so be sure to have a reservation made in advance as you could be turned away if the parks are fully booked...
        your last three choices are in east texas so there may be more trees, but they are also closer to big cities so they are popular, especially on the weekends. You might fair better to go during the week...good luck and happy camping

Comment

Thanks a bunch. Great info. And I know state parks wouldn't really allow that, but I figured I'd try and get away with it and outside of designated spots. Tis only for a night! :p
          And yeah, but it'll also be a Tuesday night, and the week before the 4th of July, so everyone will be waiting for the next week to do most of those kinds of things ya know?
          I was really leaning toward Cooper Lake State Park after talking to a few people.

Comment

Working...
          X