Tent camping is getting very hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping is getting very hard

My wife and I are getting closer to 70 years of age. We like tent camping, but the work of setting up the tent and taking it down is almost not worth it.

Does any one know of ways to help the set up and taking down a lot easier?

Re: Tent camping is getting very hard

What kind of tent are you currently using, farout?

I keep hearing/reading good reviews about the instant tents w/ ease of set up/pull down being the main feature. Can't say I've ever read the specs on em and the umbrella like mechanism some have don't look like they'll last long BUT if it gets you outside I say go for it.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      What kind of tent are you currently using, farout?

I keep hearing/reading good reviews about the instant tents w/ ease of set up/pull down being the main feature. Can't say I've ever read the specs on em and the umbrella like mechanism some have don't look like they'll last long BUT if it gets you outside I say go for it.
      The instant tents were the first thing I thought of too. You may also want to look into pop ups. I honestly don't know very much about them but they may be worth looking into if it keeps you going outside.

Good luck to you
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

You might think about trying a pop-up trailer. It is an upgraded version of tent camping without the major expense and maintenance of camping cars or fifth-wheel

Pop-ups still give you a close feeling to nature

You can rent them and buy them used for $1,000 to $3,500 in good condition

Comment

I never thought about renting them. It would be a good way to check them out without the commitment.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I've had popups and, at least to me, they're even more work to set up than a tent. Cranking 'em up, leveling, pulling out the beds then having to get under the beds to set the supports, setting the canvas and the door... then reversing all of that to put it away. If you're looking to get away from a tent, I would say it's time to go to a travel trailer. Still a bit of work, but at least there's no lift mechanism, pull out beds or canvas to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              I've had popups and, at least to me, they're even more work to set up than a tent. Cranking 'em up, leveling, pulling out the beds then having to get under the beds to set the supports, setting the canvas and the door... then reversing all of that to put it away. If you're looking to get away from a tent, I would say it's time to go to a travel trailer. Still a bit of work, but at least there's no lift mechanism, pull out beds or canvas to worry about.
              Don't they have popups with electric doodads that take care of the cranking and whatnot?
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Don't they have popups with electric doodads that take care of the cranking and whatnot?
                Yep. There are electric lift systems and I've seen electric levelers on travel trailers which I would guess could be put on a popup. But I've yet to see a popup with electric bed extenders or anything approaching easy-to-set canvas. I'm not 70-something, but even at 55, with a damaged knee and arthritis creeping into my neck, I can't picture me dealing with all that again.

Comment

I gotcha. Like I said I don't know much (so little in fact that it could be called nothing) about them. I just hate the thought of farout not being able to get far out. (see what I did there?) And in reality it is that I hate the thought that at some point I might not be able to get out there (I am pretty self centered like that) and am just looking for options.

still need more smileys mods
                  – E. B. White

Comment

I agree with the workload of the pop-ups. My dad had one and it was a pain. In addition to all that has been said, if you forgot to take everything that needs to be washed, cleaned, etc. after the trip BEFORE you pop-down the trailer before departing the campground, you will have to pop-up the trailer once you get home to get it out.

There are some really nice little travel trailers out there that could be a nice move from the tent. The little teardrop styles or the casita/scamps. All small enough to be towed by most vehicles, similar in space and functionality to a tent, but less setup.

For leveling, manual leveling jacks and 2 simple hydraulic jacks make it fairly easy. Lower the tongue jack, use the hydraulic jacks on either side of the back to level the trailer. Then, raise the manual leveling jacks to just below the required height, put in place in the back of the trailer, raise to the proper height, then drop and remove the hydraulic jacks. Move the front levelers into place. Takes less than 5 minutes total with no muscle strength required.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Your talking a pretty good dollar jump from a tent to a pop up with all the electric lifts. They make a "hi-lo" type pop up that looks pretty cool. But I would agree a small travel trailer would be the way to go. Or something like a tear drop trailer.
                      As for easy set up tents, the Coleman instant tent looks to be the easiest. I have seen inflatable tents on the market, but I think they are a fade that will come and go. We have enough problems with the pads and mattress, I doubt an inflatable tent will hold up.
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I found this tent at LL Bean's:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77016?feat=pprv

Nice fabric composition but it appears they're only making it in a 6 person style right now. It's not inexpensive though you currently can get 10% off.
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Farout, we can feel your pain. I'm 72 and DW's headed to 68. I have almost no movement in my right shoulder, and I don't have enough time to list DW's ailments, however, we keep on plodding along till the tent's up. We do take out time, and take breaks so we don't wear out. No, our tent isn't put up in 15 minutes. What's the hurry? We're gonna stay for four days. We sold our motor home so we could go back to tent camping, and we're not gonna let a few aches and pains stop us. Keep on camping and maybe we'll see y'all down the road.
                          Nights camping in 2013-----12
                          Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                          Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Working...
                          X