I'm DONE with air mattresses!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm DONE with air mattresses!

I personally have had far worse luck (BAD luck!!) trying to suffer through using "Self-Deflator Pads" than with a good quality air mattress. I used a cot early in life, but Dad had a big cabin tent, which I have not used in adulthood. One thing I did learn is to NEVER get onto an air mattress (or SDP) wearing a belt - the buckle WILL cause a puncture.
    Since I have a bad back, the air mattress gives me much better ability to adjust the firmness for comfort. I put a thin closed-cell foam pad under it to protect from ground punctures and cold seepage. This has worked fro me for decades.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

We gave up on air matresses a few years ago, after getting holes in even the more expensive ones we had. Ground pads worked good, until my wife's knees started going bad, so, we ended up with a quick cot double cot from Dick's, with a memory foam topper on top of that. It has worked great for us so far. As for the kids, they should be fine with some decent ground pads.

David

Comment

Iam guessing you bought one of those air matresses that could be puncutured. You could buy SoundAsleep Dream Matress that has a puncture-resistant material From Amazon after reading this review https://soundasleepmattressreview.wordpress.com/. I hope you like it.

Comment

maybe off topic?
          have you ever seen those camping hammocks? I want to try one! I too. just had bad experience with air mattresses. I saw it inflated for like 6 months, never got put away after relatives. I finally deflated it and folded it up. upon camping it was flat 1/2 way through the night.. tried ANOTHER night. maybe we didn't seal it right? so TWO bad night.. went into town and bought a new one. it went flat, tried IT a second night. still flat. I THEN slept night 5 on hard ground and it was better than the mattress fiasco nights!dammit!

Comment

Thanks saraz95. You might have noticed in our experiences on these threads, we got decades of hard use (SoCal is a 365-day/year camping environment) out of our Cascade Designs ThermaRest products before any leakage, and that was either quickly fixed with SuperGlue, or handled under Lifetime Warranty conditions...and we never suffered a bad night's rest because we had less than 5.0 R-value sleeping gear! Hollow-tube air mattresses are GREAT as long as it never gets colder than 50-degrees F, colder than that you'd better have a few shots (or a short memory) to take the pain away!
            Last edited by tplife; 07-09-2014, 10:45 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by saraz95 View Post
              Iam guessing you bought one of those air matresses that could be puncutured. You could buy SoundAsleep Dream Matress that has a puncture-resistant material From Amazon after reading this review https://soundasleepmattressreview.wordpress.com/. I hope you like it.
              Unfortunately that site has been deleted by the author. :-(
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Just a follow up to one of my earlier posts.

I have two Exped MegaMat 10 sleeping pads. I have camped with them 18 times this season. They are awesome when it's cool outside and they are awesome when it's hot outside. I have even slept on them at home and they are the real deal. Very comfortable and I highly recommend them especially for car camping.

Comment

Sleeping on the ground or on a cot in cold weather can make for a long night. You can have a -60F sleeping bag and you'll be really cold if you do not have appropriate pads/mattresses underneath.

People who are into hammocking use what's known as an underquilt. That is the equivalent of taking a sleeping bag, cutting it along the two sides, and putting elastic across the top of the bottom layer. The underquilt would go below your cot and keep you warm.

I use a down-filled air mattress, an ExPed DownMat 9, in cold weather. It really helps to keep you toasty in cold weather. If it gets frigid (0-10F), I'll put a ThermaRest Solar Ridgerest beneath the ExPed.
                  Moss Big Dipper
                  Alaskan Guide 8
                  Alaskan Guide 6
                  NorthFace Tadpole 23
                  ALPS Exteme 3
                  Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                  X