Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor rug

One more question today

I'm looking for something to put in the area outside of our tent, under the tech garage (so approximately 6ft by 7ft or so).

Indoor/outdoor rug? AstroTurf? I'd like it to be as economical as possible.

Suggestions?
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Outdoor rug

I'd go with just about anything that's totally synthetic. It won't soak up moisture like natural fibers do, and it cleans easier.

Comment

Friends of our use the cheapest synthetic grass/carpet from the big box lumber stores (HD, Lowes, etc.). Frankly that seems way better than the rug we've been using.
      Nights camping in 2014: 18
      Nights camping in 2015: 24
      Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Less weight than carpeting, don't forget the plastic rug option. If you can find one that folds up flat even better from a space POV.
        I bought one from QVC or HSN some years back and it's still going strong. When you get home just hose it down and let it dry before storing.

This site sells lots of them at reasonable cost:

http://outdoorrugsonly.com/recycled-...Fc-Y4AodNAEA-w

To ensure that minimal dirt enters the tent I also use the cheapest doormat I can find at the tent's door. Great place to store shoes (upside down so ya don't wake up to morning dew inside) overnight as well. Oh and the door mat stores nicely in the wheel well of the trunk.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I use a Sand Free Multimat:

http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/produc...-free-mat.html

It's like a very loose open burlap weave, but with synthetic fiber. Dry sand and dirt sifts through the mat. Wet dirt will stay on top until it dries, then will sift through. When you get home, you can just hose it off for easy cleanup.

It's got metal stake down loops at the corners and mid points, so it can be anchored down to avoid trips. Does a good job of keeping dirt out of the tent. I think it's available in three sizes: 6 x 6, 8 x 8, and 10 x 10. I've got the small one, which fits nicely for both of my car camping tents. The tent in the picture below is 74 inches wide, so the 72 inch wide mat fits. My other tent is 96 inches wide, so the tent sticks out past the mat by about a foot on either side, which is fine.

Comment

That is a lovely solution, hwc, and I've bookmarked the site. Thank you for the increased knowledge!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The really nice thing is that water drains right through the sand-free mat, so you don't have to worry about water puddling on top and running under the tent.

Downside? It's two layers of really slick polypropylene weave. A little slippery, which is why it's good to stake it down. Finally a use for all the j-hook aluminum tent pegs that come with tents. Perfect use for 'em.

Comment

Harbor Frieght has mesh mats as shown in hwcs photo.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Camco makes a 6'x9' rug that drains the rain, dirt etc.
                  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Awni...sible/29764411

They make it in green or brown, but green seems to be slightly less expensive.

I use a bigger 9'x12' version.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                  X