Sun / Rain Shelters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun / Rain Shelters

I've been thinking about getting a shelter for quite some time. Not a tent or something to be used in place of a tent, but like an easy-up shelter or possibly even something like the REI Alcove that you can attach a corner wall to it. I wouldn't want it fully enclosed, but something that could be used for lots of reasons... 4th of july, camping, tailgating, whatever the need may be where you want a covered area for people to sit. They often go on sale at various places right about now, but I have heard that some of the 'cheap' easy up shelters will break or blow away in the wind or just simply don't hold up. And when I say 'cheap' it still looks like something is going to cost at least $60-80 plus more for walls. Just wondering if anything I should steer clear from. For the price I'm starting to think the REI alcove looks like a great option.

Re: Sun / Rain Shelters

I use a Kelty Noah 12 tarp. 12 foot by 12 foot diagonal. Lightweight ripstop tarp. Perfect size for covering a picnic table. I have a couple of their heavy duty adjustable aluminum poles to hold up two ends.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28875
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28097

Wouldn't be ideal for tailgating in a paved lot. You'd want something free standing for that. Perfect for car camping. It can be used with poles or tied to trees. I set it up by myself and the great thing is that, if you set it up, it's guaranteed not to rain!

Comment

Noah tarps are awesome. I usually hang a 10x20 tarp in the trees for shade. I though of going the EZ up way. Would work well for shade, rain, and if you get the sides, wind. I also thought it would be nice to cook under, since I am bald Nd there is nothing worse than a burnt head.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm a Noah's Tarp Fan. Here Is the 16 over an 11' table and my 1970' chuck box.
        I run a ridge line below to hang towels cloths. If it rains over night you have dry towels.

Also if space is premium its way smaller lighter than a ezup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG] 4550[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

Here in the southwest you better be packin' poles - anything attached to a tree or bush is promptly taken down by the campground rangers. The private campgrounds and the indian reservation campgrounds are the only places left where you can actually touch a tree with something other than your hand without being yelled at...
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I take poles because it's easier to pitch solo. Everything can be staked out at shoulder height and then raised with the telescoping poles. To get it high enough on tree, i'm working on my tip toes with arms fully outstretched. The poles are easier.

Looking at the REI sun shelter, I'm not sure that it's easier to set up that the simple Kelty tarp. I have the tarp, the poles, and pre-cut guy lines stored in the same duffel bag as the tent, fly, footprint, and stakes.

Comment

It has been my experience that any of the ezup canopies will work fine as long as you steak them down and use the guy lines. I tailgate and have lost 1 over the years because it was windy and we didn't steak it down. That's on me, not the canopy. It is obviously not possible to steak it down in a parking lot. You have to use vehicles and/or use sandbags to secure them.

That being said I have had many over the years and the cheaper ones don't last as long as the expensive ones. I know, shocker right. It is all in the frame. The cheap ones are made with thinner tubing that is prone to bending or breaking. Plus the plastic fittings dont hold up as well. I have one that I got at Costco, I think I paid $250 for it but imo it is worth every penny. It is made for commercial use and is AWESOME. Unless I do something stupid with it, it will probably be the last one I ever buy.

Something for you to consider is that 10x10 might not be a lot of room depending on what you are doing. (we have at least 5 when we tailgate) That REI Alcove doesn't have straight legs so you can only put them end to end and not side to side. It wouldn't work for me. For camping they take up a lot of real estate in the car/truck so if you are in an area where you can attach them to the trees I think you are better off with a tarp.

Oh, and the ezup style canopies are almost impossible to set up and take down solo.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

I've a Kelty SunShade I bought at REI on a whim a few years back; it was on closeout.

Comes in handy when we've a lot of guests or we don't feel like setting up the screen house.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I went to REI on the weekend and checked out the tarps / structures... etc. Granted for $50 +/- I could get an easy up type tent that is 10x10 at best... then anything bigger and better is much more $$. I looked at the tarp at REI the Noah tarp, and for the backwoods that could be really cool, but in some places I camp there is not always a ton of trees, or well situated trees and the poles are sold separately and for me I would probably want the 8' poles which would cost around $70 for 2 sets of poles.. Seems a bit pricey to me. The non-easy up heavy duty structure at REI was $200+ depending on options and it looks like a really awesome heavy duty structure. If you have the room and the need I would actually say that this is probably the way to go. In my case, I don't have the room, $$, or need for something that heavy duty and went with the REI Alcove. I can already tell that there are some flaws... issues, so the cons with this structure would be:
                  not very big overall,
                  does not look like it would hold up to nasty weather heavy rain storms / heavy wind as well as some types of structures
                  not an easy-up setup where everything just has to be popped-up into place.
                  No height adjustment

Pros:
                  Not as expensive,
                  serves the purpose I need which is place to provide rain, sun / shelter outside of sitting in the tent.
                  Very lightweight (I can easily carry everything including the extra corner wall in one hand) It will also easily pack to take camping or for whatever I need to use it for.
                  1 person can set it up. Not great instructions but not that hard to figure out. We use almost the exact same concept for boy scouts camp outs with the exception that we use heavy duty poles and big heavy duty tarps and so it is like this shelter on steroids and usually has 10 people all working on setting it up. :-P

I can also tell that the Alcove seems a bit flimsy from the stand point of wondering how well it will take high wind, or rain, so I would definitely recommend getting extra stakes and extra tie down guy lines for holding the tarp and structure in place. If that is done I think it will be fine. I will know more as I will be using it memorial weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X