30" Air Mattresses -- Can't find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30" Air Mattresses -- Can't find

Why can't I find reasonably priced inflatable mattresses that are about about 30" wide, so that we can put two side-by-side on a queen-sized cot? (I did find them at REI for $199 each! Yikes!) We prefer air over foam because of limited car space, but don't like the jostling when one of us moves or gets in or out of bed. I've even looked for one mattress that has dual air chambers that blow up independently. No luck.

We prefer regular bedding when car-camping, rather than sleeping bags, so the higher mattresses work better. Lots out there in the standard twin, double, queen, etc. sizes. Coleman makes a 26" one, but that's too narrow.

Anyone seen anything like this? Thanks!

Re: 30" Air Mattresses -- Can't find

Found this one by googling "single air mattress"

http://www.amazon.com/SINGLE-SIZE-AI...e+air+mattress

HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

REI Anniversary sale this weekend, 25% off Thermarest

Comment

Dump the cot and just buy decent thick ThermaRest pads with 5.0 or better R-values. You'll not need to haul the cots and will need fewer blankets and sleeping bag insulation due to the warmer setup. Otherwise head for an upholstery shop and buy bulk foam blanks made of firm open-cell configuration.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          Dump the cot and just buy decent thick ThermaRest pads...
          That's might work for some, but I know as I get older and more body parts decide not to function like they did when I was... I dunno... 25... I've come to appreciate not having to figure a way to pick myself off the ground in the morning.

Comment

OP doesn't want a Thermoleak pad - he wants a real air mattress. That link looks interesting. As close to the desired size as you are likely to come.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

That Amazon link mattress is a piece of junk with a negative R-value of 0.75, sucks the heat right out of you (on this planet anyway). We readily agree that it's infinitely a better bet to take more insulation on a trip with your cot than to stay home because you can't get up off the ground! Cascade designs offers several models of 30 and 31-inch-wide thermo-neutral 5.0 R-value sleeping pads that stay together with elastic coupling kit bands:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...esses/category

Proud Owner of 4 ThermaRest pads, used and abused for 25-30 years. Leaks: 2, one fixed permanently with a dab of SuperGlue, the other fixed by the factory for a $20 turnaround cost. Nothing out there is more durable and cost-effective for under $100.00.

Thanks to Dad and Colin Fletcher (14 March 1922 – 12 June 2007) for the advice and campouts...
              Last edited by tplife; 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

That Amazon link mattress is a piece of junk with a negative R-value of 0.75, sucks the heat right out of you (on this planet anyway). We readily agree that it's infinitely a better bet to take more insulation on a trip with your cot than to stay home because you can't get up off the ground! Cascade designs offers several models of 30 and 31-inch-wide thermo-neutral 5.0 R-value sleeping pads that stay together with elastic coupling kit bands:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...esses/category

Proud Owner of 4 ThermaRest pads, used and abused for 25-30 years. Leaks: 2, one fixed permanently with a dab of SuperGlue, the other fixed by the factory for a $20 turnaround cost. Nothing out there is more durable and cost-effective for under $100.00.

Thanks to Dad and Colin Fletcher (14 March 1922 – 12 June 2007) for the advice and campouts...
                And thank you for sharing.
                I've put off saying this for years but really if you didn't consistently state your opinions so stridently some would probably take some of your information more seriously. Assuming it actually was pertinent to their locale and type of camping. And further assuming you didn't try to make others feel like they were morons in the process.
                Just saying.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

^^^^^^^yep. ^^^^^
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Dump the cot and just buy decent thick ThermaRest pads with 5.0 or better R-values. You'll not need to haul the cots and will need fewer blankets and sleeping bag insulation due to the warmer setup. Otherwise head for an upholstery shop and buy bulk foam blanks made of firm open-cell configuration.
                    I use an inflatable Coleman air mattress and love it.

Why would I wan't anything that insulates me on a hot summer night? I might as well walk around in a coat in the middle of summer too.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Don't know if this would be applicable, but Aerobed makes something that looks like a cross between an air mattress and a pad. Check it out.

http://www.aerobed.com/Pakmatreg-Airbed-P1927.aspx

Be well,
                      elliot

Comment

Excellent - the Aerobed, a great example of more laughable junk peddled by ripoff artists to take advantage of folks. Soled-out, might I suggest you do some research before accepting bad advice offered above in exchange of your hard earned money? The Complete Walker is a good place to start, or the Boy Scouts Of America, or USGI manuals, REI stores, EMS stores, etc. Not only do cots and hollow-tube air mattresses with thermo-negative R-values keep you colder in winter, they keep you warmer in summer: they rapidly transfer heat to reach equilibrium due to their poor insulating qualities. This his how physics works and there's no juju to get you around it. Do a site search of my recommendations (I too used to believe the sales pitches years ago) and then check the R-values of quality sleeping pads...

Comment

Excellent - the Aerobed, a great example of more laughable junk peddled by ripoff artists to take advantage of folks. Soled-out, might I suggest you do some research before accepting bad advice offered above in exchange of your hard earned money? The Complete Walker is a good place to start, or the Boy Scouts Of America, or USGI manuals, REI stores, EMS stores, etc. Not only do cots and hollow-tube air mattresses with thermo-negative R-values keep you colder in winter, they keep you warmer in summer: they rapidly transfer heat to reach equilibrium due to their poor insulating qualities. This his how physics works and there's no juju to get you around it. Do a site search of my recommendations (I too used to believe the sales pitches years ago) and then check the R-values of quality sleeping pads...

Are you just overall a jerk or just really bad at expressing yourself?
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

James, let tplife be, it's that monthly hormonal thing.
                            Last edited by michelliot; 05-19-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

There's a good reason we have an 'ignore list'.......
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X