Tent(s) for a Large Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent(s) for a Large Family

Hello. We are a family of 9. Two parents and 7 children, aged 2-15. We hope to expand to add another child or two over the next few years. I used to camp and hike a lot when I was younger, but not so much these days.

We would like to try now to take the whole family out to the forest. I still have a Sierra 3-man tent circa 1992 that works well and we have two sleeping bags. I was thinking instead of buying a giant 10-person tent (that needs a giant flat space) to buy two 5 or 6 person tents and then with the 3-man we have a total of 13/14 spaces which would mean we could be very comfortable with enough extra space as it's quite hard to travel light with such a gang.

I also figure that with "normal" sized tents we could use them other times when just a few members of the family want to go out for a night.

We would be going camping all of use together just for one night (for now) and driving in a van right to our campsite. I thought we could set up the 3 tents in a triangle and make a little "courtyard" in the middle. I also thought that instead of buying 9 sleeping bags, we could just take blankets (and use them as mattresses) and sheets that we own already. We are talking about a very hot location so we just need sheets to feel more comfortable when sleeping.

I am ordering some cute solar lights. I don't think we will cook, beyond smoking a few cans of tuna.

That's the basic idea. What do you think? Makes sense? You have better ideas?

Also, can you suggest what to look for in a tent? I prefer to get a good quality one that will last.

Thank you!
Working...
X