No announcement yet.

Hi all. New here need cabin tent ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all. New here need cabin tent ideas.

Hi all. Long time camper here both tent and RV. We just got back from a tent/hiking trip to the Delaware Water Gap. We loved it but the tents we have (2 Koppens) are more for backpacking not really "base station" camping. So we are looking for a nice good quality cabin style tent. Don't want to have to sell a kidney to buy it though. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks for letting me join.

Re: Hi all. New here need cabin tent ideas.

I'd definitely check out the Kodiak Cabin Tents. I don't personally own one, but a friend of mine does and I've been impressed with the quality when I've been camping with him. Yes, they are more expensive than the Koppen tent you're used to...but the Kodiaks will provide good value (long lasting).
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Hi and welcome KDOG .

So you are looking for a base tent. Personally I'm pretty happy with my Eureka Copper Canyon for summer camping. in the Northeast. And prolly the South. The West might be different though:o.

Don't know how many people you'll camp with or how big you feel the base tent should be but I see a good price on the 4 person tent online - $189.00.

Here are some reviews at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/831230/eu...ent#reviewsTab

and here is a review I did on this site a year or 2 back:

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...=Copper+Canyon

Have fun out there in whatever you choose!
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I can highly recommend the Paha Que Pamo Valley 6 for warm weather camping. Not sure if it's too heavy or expensive for your needs though.

Comment

Originally posted by yogiyoda View Post
          I can highly recommend the Paha Que Pamo Valley 6 for warm weather camping. Not sure if it's too heavy or expensive for your needs though.
          Paha Que makes a niceeeeee line of tents. I use their screen tent as a kitchen/ bad weather L/R/extra sleeping tent. Truely well made and such fine mesh.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yes. And they provide good customer service too.

Comment

Hi NYCgrrl,

Do the zippers catch sometimes on your Copper Canyon? Was considering that tent, but glitchy zippers are a pet peeve of mine. Some reviews of that tent complain about the zippers.

Comment

Originally posted by yogiyoda View Post
                Hi NYCgrrl,

Do the zippers catch sometimes on your Copper Canyon? Was considering that tent, but glitchy zippers are a pet peeve of mine. Some reviews of that tent complain about the zippers.
                I stopped having zipper catching problems when I realized that the real issue was staking the tent corners too tightly. You can tell you've over staked when the fabric starts...pleating at the corner stake. There is a special kind of pleating it does and I'm gonna try to remember to over tighten the stakes and photograph it this year. Talk about having too much time on yer hands......:p
                2017:

Comment

Along with properly staking out the tent, using a candle to wax the zippers can also help with the sticking.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    I stopped having zipper catching problems when I realized that the real issue was staking the tent corners too tightly. You can tell you've over staked when the fabric starts...pleating at the corner stake. There is a special kind of pleating it does and I'm gonna try to remember to over tighten the stakes and photograph it this year. Talk about having too much time on yer hands......:p
                    Thanks for the info. If the zippers work well, the Copper Canyon looks like a great value. Also, the good thing about having too much time on your hands is that you get to CHOOSE how to fill it up! Have fun with it

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Along with properly staking out the tent, using a candle to wax the zippers can also help with the sticking.
                      Thanks. Next time I encounter one, I'll try that out.

Comment

Working...
                      X