Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for using tent vestibules?

Originally posted by tplife View Post
    Yogiyoda's complaints are common across much of the high-end dual-wall high-condensation control designs of modern tents. They are there for reasons that don't make sense unless you realize why they're there. The flys are designed to be attached and he mesh to maintain breathability without sacrificing dual-wall warmth. "It is what it is". The alternative is to open your wallet wide and go with a 4-season tent.
    Not sure why Marmot couldn't just allow the door mesh to be zipped closed and treat the fabric of the front of the tent with polyurethane. Then the vestibule would only need to be closed when a big storm was approaching. Can't imagine that would add much cost or weight to the tent.

Any 4-season tents that you recommend that meet the following criteria:

1.) At least one dimension is 10 feet or less
    2.) standing room for 6'3"
    3.) has enough ventilation for summer if you unzip the inner windows.

The closest I found was the Browning Glacier Extreme 6:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...9539/cat100835

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubT6i50YwJM

Not sure if the front of the inner tent is treated for rain resistance though. Also, not sure how much of the tent I could actually stand in. The roof looks kind of steep. I guess I can call Alps Mountaineering who makes the tent.
    Last edited by yogiyoda; 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
      The Halo tents at least give the option of zipping a panel to close the low level mesh panels in the sides of the tent. Makes a big difference in cooler temps.
      Yes, this the zippered side panels is smart design. Nothings worse than cold breeze to suck the warmth right out of you.

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
      It won't rain in on a Halo 6 even with the vestibule door complete unzipped -- unless it's wind-driven raining sideways. The halo pole makes an small awning over the door.

On my Halo 4, I just unzip the door and roll it up into the little shock cord retention loops to keep it out of the way. I only close it when it's raining or when I'm turning in for the night. It's got a double zipper. If I'm just sneaking out in the middle of the night, I just unzip it a bit from the top and slip out.
      I think the Halo 6 might be a little different than the Halo 4 then. If I stand touching the the bottom of the inner tent with my feet, I am not under the overhang at all. Even if the rain was going straight down the bottom of the inner tent will get wet in the Halo 6. Also, it takes just the slightest breeze to blow rain to the inner door area of the tent. And I experimented with unzipping from the top and could never get that to be useful in the Halo 6.

Also, even aside from the vestibule door, it's much harder to get in and out of the Marmot than my Pamo Valley 6. I don't have enough head room to stand inside near the door. Also, the door is much lower and longer when including the rain fly overhang. So I have to crouch a lot lower and for longer to be able to stand up in the tent. I guess the Kodiak and Paha Que have spoiled me.
      Last edited by yogiyoda; 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8brew View Post
        If your sending it back and searching for a different tent check out the Kelty Palasade 6, very close to the Halo different fly design. I'm not even close to your altitude so can't give you any feedback there. Also the orange tents drive me crazy in the sunlight.

Can be had on a big sale for under 300 clams.

Oh BTW great camping spots in both photos.

Thanks! Will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogiyoda View Post
          Not sure why Marmot couldn't just allow the door mesh to be zipped closed and treat the fabric of the front of the tent with polyurethane. Then the vestibule would only need to be closed when a big storm was approaching. Can't imagine that would add much cost or weight to the tent.

Any 4-season tents that you recommend that meet the following criteria:

1.) At least one dimension is 10 feet or less
          2.) standing room for 6'3"
          3.) has enough ventilation for summer if you unzip the inner windows.

The closest I found was the Browning Glacier Extreme 6:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...9539/cat100835

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubT6i50YwJM

Not sure if the front of the inner tent is treated for rain resistance though. Also, not sure how much of the tent I could actually stand in. The roof looks kind of steep. I guess I can call Alps Mountaineering who makes the tent.
          Wow I have to say this tent is impressive.

Comment

Working...
          X