New here - another tent opinion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New here - another tent opinion question

The worst thing about canvas tents is people commenting on them who have no experience with the newer tents. They base their comments from the time of the pyramids and dinosaurs. Things change, materials change. Any item that is wet has weight added to it, that's why you don't tear down in a rain storm.
    I went and saw the Disney Nature movie "Bears" this weekend. It's filmed in Alaska. During the behind the scene shots at the end, guess what type of tent they were using? Yep, Canvas. Kirkhams Springbar to be exact. It's funny one would talk about feeling safe in a storm and then say safety has a weight limit.
    I own and use canvas tents. Do I use my canvas tent for a quick over night trip when it's nice weather and just my daughter are going? No. I use my Marmot. Do I use my Kodiak when backpacking solo? No, I use my hammock. If I plan to go out for 3+ nights, then yes I use my Kodiak.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I think the big thing with a lot of canvas tents is that many expedition type / Alaskan or severe cold weather base camps can use them with a wood burning stove inside... would not want to be on an expedition where you had to lug it around, but for a stationery camp, you could get quite comfortable in a nicer set up...

My dad had a canvas tent that we used all of the time and it was very sturdy / rugged, but not something I would ever want to mess with. Too heavy / bulky and I don't think it would be great for wind/rain... but it did withstand a horrible rain storm.. as we watched from the safety of the old canvas tent as our Dad scooped water out of the boat to keep it from sinking. LOL

Comment

Well my posts never publish, But I will try to calm this down. Just a couple days after my initial post I updated that I had already purchased. Anyway, thanks for all the input and discussion. Honestly, I am not a backpacker, and I am not a hardcore camper. I go maybe 5 - 7 times a year, usually for a long weekend, rarely longer and Coleman has served me well. The tent I got (the Evanston 8 - not the elite just the normal one) Seems well constructed, thoughtful in it's design and well built for my needs. I sealed the seams and I will spray the fly and sides with water repellent when I get a chance. I am not interested in spending $400-$500 for a "quality tent" that will provide me no additional value than my $150 tent in the long run. Mike - I don't need to imagine the wind coming in sideways I have lived it, in a Coleman tent. Only had slight leakage in one corner and it caused no real detriment to my camping ... the storm was so bad the tent was basically laying on top of us at points and the rain was so hard you couldn't see 5 feet in it. We lived, in our 6 man Coleman screen top dome tent. With fiberglass shock cord poles, no vestibule, no foot print.

FWIW I am currently in the planning stage to build a tiny travel trailer. So in a year or 2 I will only be tent camping maybe once or twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MWcamper View Post
          Well my posts never publish, But I will try to calm this down. Just a couple days after my initial post I updated that I had already purchased. Anyway, thanks for all the input and discussion. Honestly, I am not a backpacker, and I am not a hardcore camper. I go maybe 5 - 7 times a year, usually for a long weekend, rarely longer and Coleman has served me well. The tent I got (the Evanston 8 - not the elite just the normal one) Seems well constructed, thoughtful in it's design and well built for my needs. I sealed the seams and I will spray the fly and sides with water repellent when I get a chance. I am not interested in spending $400-$500 for a "quality tent" that will provide me no additional value than my $150 tent in the long run. Mike - I don't need to imagine the wind coming in sideways I have lived it, in a Coleman tent. Only had slight leakage in one corner and it caused no real detriment to my camping ... the storm was so bad the tent was basically laying on top of us at points and the rain was so hard you couldn't see 5 feet in it. We lived, in our 6 man Coleman screen top dome tent. With fiberglass shock cord poles, no vestibule, no foot print.

FWIW I am currently in the planning stage to build a tiny travel trailer. So in a year or 2 I will only be tent camping maybe once or twice a year.

Glad someone else had spoken up on how thier Coleman has served them. I've had many day's where mine has been through the same. Many here want to really bash anothers choice of gear because it doesn't cost a lot.

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply NYCgrrl - I found this about the Coleman - Fly: Polyester taffeta 75D , Mesh: Polyester 68D inner tent, Floor: Polyethylene 1000D-140g/sqm floor, 11mm fiberglass poles, Limited 1 year warranty - so it looks like they really are comparable - I loved the Eureka (it's bigger and when isn't bigger better?) and would have gotten it, however the Commodore (my wife) veto'd it, she didn't like the style as much as the Coleman, and she's only used Coleman tents her whole life. So we got the Coleman. :D

I will seam seal it and probably spray seal the fly, other than that, we'll run with it. Like I said other than extreme conditions that I probably shouldn't have been out in anyway, I have had real good luck with Coleman tents. Not sure when they got such a mixed reputation.
            Hey sorry I missed your earlier reply yet glad you found "the one" that will keep you and the Commodore in the zone! When every thing is said and done being happy is what it's allllll about. Great news on your trailer building plans-I'll be waiting for more updates.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey NYC - thanks.

Well the initial weekend went great, lots of room for us and the dog, well ventilated, loved the vestibule. What's extra cool is I got some solar rope lights from Harbor Freight and I can stake the panel in the sun, they turn on at dusk and I just put them on the front vestibule pole so it made a soft glow around the front of the tent, perfect to sip a beverage in the camp chair and look over the lake. (plus it's nice for those midnight potty runs)

Thanks everybody.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the updates.

Comment

Hey NYC - thanks.

Well the initial weekend went great, lots of room for us and the dog, well ventilated, loved the vestibule. What's extra cool is I got some solar rope lights from Harbor Freight and I can stake the panel in the sun, they turn on at dusk and I just put them on the front vestibule pole so it made a soft glow around the front of the tent, perfect to sip a beverage in the camp chair and look over the lake. (plus it's nice for those midnight potty runs)

Thanks everybody.
                  Solar rope lights? Wuvvvvvv 'em!!! Except that I'm trying my darnedest to minimize storing stuff(no garage or attic space here). Veddy difficult for me.
                  Last year or maybe the year before I bought glow in the dark guylines and restrung both my tents for 3 reasons. One, to actually remember to guyline; 2, to not trip over em', and finally to give off an even softer glow. Been working well so far.
                  But but I do miss my solar lights. Sniffle.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

One company worth checking out for high quality family tents is PahaQue, I think you can find their stuff on Campmor.com

Comment

We have been really happy with our Big Agnes Big House 6. (There's also a smaller model) The walls are fairly vertical and the height is such that you can stand up comfortably in it. We can fit our queen cot and a couple of chairs, along with bags, in it. Also the rain fly comes almost all the way down on the outside for good protection. Lots of pockets and storage inside.

My ultimate dream tent, however, is a Springbar tent. Kodiak makes a similar one. Canvas and indestructible. The poles are too long for our car, otherwise we would have gone that route. Expensive, but it would probably outlive you. There's something about the heavy sturdiness that really appealed to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Soled-out View Post
                        We have been really happy with our Big Agnes Big House 6. (There's also a smaller model) The walls are fairly vertical and the height is such that you can stand up comfortably in it. We can fit our queen cot and a couple of chairs, along with bags, in it. Also the rain fly comes almost all the way down on the outside for good protection. Lots of pockets and storage inside.

My ultimate dream tent, however, is a Springbar tent. Kodiak makes a similar one. Canvas and indestructible. The poles are too long for our car, otherwise we would have gone that route. Expensive, but it would probably outlive you. There's something about the heavy sturdiness that really appealed to me.
                        I can't speak for Springbar, but from personal experience Kodiak are not indestructible in humid conditions. While it lasted, it really was good in the wind and rain though.

Comment

Originally posted by Soled-out View Post
                          The poles are too long for our car...
                          Are you sure about that? The Kodiak poles break down in half. I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it's the same with the Springbars. Unless you're trying to camp out of a 2-seater sports car, I can't picture them too long for any car.

Comment

Wow! I thought Coleman was a really great, better than most tents, so I bought the Blue Springs from Bass pro, in 2012. I see they still sell them every spring for $ 99. I think the must have bought a railroad car or ten of them. I have had no problems, except the tent "twings" then have for pegs. I bought some really heavy duty 3/8" like bolts with a point, and a washer welded on top. I haven't bent one yet, but busted a few rocks. The poles have worked well, no broken ones yet. My grandsons, ages 15 & 16 have dueled like jjosters on bikes, and none broke. One did bend in a U and I expected it to brake

I feel I got my $99. worth, but it does not hold anyheat whatsoever. I am taking my 10,000 but air condioner and seeing if it might keep the heat a little less than outside.

But once agin you get what you pay for....RIGHT !

WE are thinking maybe in early June to go camping. If our health hollds out, and the roof repair guy ever gets our way. Hail tore up our house and about boko others. Good time to be a roofer. Maybe June won't be as hot as last year. Hear anything for Missouir being cooler this June?
                            Last edited by farout; 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Morning,

I have two Eureka Sunrise tents: an eight by eight and an 11 by 11 and couldn't be happier. The Sunrise 11 is about 10 years old and still as trustworthy as when new. I also have a teragon 7 that is not quite the quality of the sunrises.

Sunrises have big windows and excellent ventilation. The fly isn't as full coverage as some but in the heaviest of storms, I've never had a water problem. Keeping them clean and sealing when necessary is a must for any tent's longevity.

This year Eureka has changed the design of some of the sunrise models so either splurge for the latest of models or look for a good deal on last years. I recommend them highly.

Enjoy,

elliot

Click image for larger version

Name:	ONECOL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	69872
                              Last edited by michelliot; 05-21-2014, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X