Kodiak awning side extention with tarp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak awning side extention with tarp

Hello all, I'm looking for ideas on how to make a sun/privacy shade on just one side of my Kodiak canvas awning. How would I attach the tarp to the awning? I imagine I could bungee cord the bottom to stakes. I'm not liking the vestibule wing from Kodiak since the side is still open.Help is appreciated!

Re: Kodiak awning side extention with tarp

I think I've solved my own problem with the privacy shade. I ordered 4 clips and 4 of the little bungees then picked up a cheap blue 6X8 tarp and I already had some plastic stakes. I secured the clips on the Kodiak canopy to correspond with the grommets on the tarp then inserted the bungees to the clips and the hooks to the grommets. I angled the tarp out towards the ground and secured the bottom with the plastic stakes inserted through the bottom row of grommets. The wind was blowing and it all stayed well. This will be a great shade from the sun angling down and protection for some of my gear as well as privacy from the main road. This was the first time I had the opportunity to put up my Kodiak 10 X 10 and it was a workout for this 59 yr old overweight woman. My son had to push up the second support pole on the downhill side as I couldn't quite get it up high enough to get the pin inserted into the base. Thankfully I'll always be with great people at bluegrass festivals when using this tent who can give a hand if needed. The ground cloth that came free with my tent was a bit too big and I had to tuck under along two sides since I was going to spray down the tent as directed. It will still be a trick to put the air conditioner in the second door but that's why they make duct tape for the gaps! Just 8 weeks until my first week long stay!

Comment

What type f clips did you get? I'm interested in trying this idea. Thanks

Comment

Not sure what type of clips BluegrassLady used, but I immediately thought of the Camco lantern snaps. We use them to hold lights on our pop up's awning, and, I would imagine they would easily hold a light tarp, unless it was too windy. Another option, would be to install grommets corresponding with those in the tarp, and use some carabiner clips to attach it with. However, I'm not too crazy about just randomly installing grommets on such an expensive tent.

David

Comment

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
          Not sure what type of clips BluegrassLady used, but I immediately thought of the Camco lantern snaps. We use them to hold lights on our pop up's awning, and, I would imagine they would easily hold a light tarp, unless it was too windy. Another option, would be to install grommets corresponding with those in the tarp, and use some carabiner clips to attach it with. However, I'm not too crazy about just randomly installing grommets on such an expensive tent.

David
          Perfect, ordered the lantern straps from Amazon.

Thanks

Comment

With some careful measuring to ensure matching spacing, installing marine grade stainless steel snaps on both sides of the awning would allow you to quickly remove the awning or change which side it's on.

Comment

Let me go back and let you know what I used and how I might do things just a bit differently. I had ordered a pack of EasyKlip Midis and EasyKlip Black BannaBungees. These I connected the 6 ft tarp to the awning of the Kodiak with. No new holes in the awning. I positioned the clips to correspond to the grommets on the tarp.
              I might use regular tent stakes for keeping th bottom of the tarp down next time. Five inches of rain in 24 hours and a little wind bent or pulled out the plastic stakes I had used to secure it at the festival.
              I would like to add another tarp to the front side as well next time since there just isn't enough coverage for my table and cooking set up with the Kodiak awning alone. The side tarp kept most everything dry under it so am pleased with the basic idea. I would leave one side open for entry and exit.
              Thanks for all the ideas! I'll check into the stainless steel snaps MacGyver.

Comment

Working...
              X