Eureca Cooper Canyon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureca Cooper Canyon question

I am new here and have been searching past post for a good 10x10 tent. I like the copper canyon even though I love the Kodiak Canvas. I'm in my 60's and not sure if I'm up for all the maintenance I've been reading about concerning canvas thus the copper canyon come in. So my question is the copper 's rain fly doesn't go all the way to the ground. Will it leak with a good side rain where the water hits the actual tent? Also with the high profile how does it fair in winds. I will be camping mainly in South Carolina during the spring and fall. Or talk me into the Kodiak lol.

Thanks Tradarcher

Re: Eureca Cooper Canyon question

Hi Tradarcher and welcome!

This thread should answer your question regarding the Eureka CC:

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...=Copper+Canyon
    Any further questions? Just ask .
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by tradarcher View Post
      I am new here and have been searching past post for a good 10x10 tent. I like the copper canyon even though I love the Kodiak Canvas. I'm in my 60's and not sure if I'm up for all the maintenance I've been reading about concerning canvas thus the copper canyon come in. So my question is the copper 's rain fly doesn't go all the way to the ground. Will it leak with a good side rain where the water hits the actual tent? Also with the high profile how does it fair in winds. I will be camping mainly in South Carolina during the spring and fall. Or talk me into the Kodiak lol.
      Maybe surprisingly, I'll try to talk you out of the Kodiak. I love mine, but I think canvas is better suited for people who camp in cold weather - they can get pretty stuffy in warmer weather. Come late Spring, I can see myself not using the Kodiak and going for one of my nylons. Plus, if you really think you might not be up to the maintenance, I would say a canvas tent wouldn't be a wise purchase. It'd be a shame to get one and find out it's more than you want to deal with.

I saw a lot of mixed reviews on that Copper Canyon. Some love it, some hated it. As an alternative, I'll suggest looking at the Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6 Tent. It's a few inches short of a 10 x 10 tent, but it comes highly rated on REI's site and a couple of others - including how it handles rain. Dome tents also typically fair better in high wind than squared off tents. If you're not already a member at REI, $20 gets you a lifetime membership and 20% off any full price item until April 13th. That puts the price at $376 right now with free shipping - cheap for that much tent.

Comment

Originally posted by tradarcher View Post

Thanks Tradarcher
        Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Maybe surprisingly, I'll try to talk you out of the Kodiak. I love mine, but I think canvas is better suited for people who camp in cold weather - they can get pretty stuffy in warmer weather. Come late Spring, I can see myself not using the Kodiak and going for one of my nylons. Plus, if you really think you might not be up to the maintenance, I would say a canvas tent wouldn't be a wise purchase. It'd be a shame to get one and find out it's more than you want to deal with.

I saw a lot of mixed reviews on that Copper Canyon. Some love it, some hated it. As an alternative, I'll suggest looking at the Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6 Tent. It's a few inches short of a 10 x 10 tent, but it comes highly rated on REI's site and a couple of others - including how it handles rain. Dome tents also typically fair better in high wind than squared off tents. If you're not already a member at REI, $20 gets you a lifetime membership and 20% off any full price item until April 13th. That puts the price at $376 right now with free shipping - cheap for that much tent.
        You know what. My brother has a canvas tent and there is enough ventilation that it is alright in the summer. I am talking Arizona summers which means it is still hot....just not hotter than any other tent. I will agree with Mac. If you are iffy on the maintenance you should skip the canvas. It is better to know your limitations and plan accordingly than to go with wishful thinking and good intentions and end up back at square one with a moldy tent.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I prefer dome tents for myself in my geographic location. Having lived in Charleston SC for four years my second consideration after staying dry would be ventilation. The disadvantage to dome tents are a full fly gives you far less ventilation than the Copper Canyon. That thing can open up wide.

If I may an assumption you being a trad archer have a connection and appreciation of simple proven technology that incorporates intuitive instinct and art. The attraction to the Kodiak is a strong pull but I cant imagine anything artful about laying in a tent at night with a low of 85 degrees and 95 percent humidity with no ventilation.

Good luck with your choice

Cheers,

Comment

I can't speak to the Copper Canyon, I don't have one. Nycgrrl is a better source of hands on experience with that tent. I will talk about some of your other concerns. I really don't know what "other maintence" you are talking about. Except first use. When you first get the Kodiak, you set it up and wet it down to shrink the material. Then you let it dry, and put it away. That is all the special care the Kodiak requires. Now, yes if you are camping and it gets wet. It will need to be dried prior to long term storage. But doesn't every tent, regardless of the material it is made from?
            Heat and ventilation. Can you tell me a tent that is going to be cool in 105 degree temps, regardless of what it's made of? The Kodiak is white. So it reflects the suns rays. Other than that, you will just have to pay attention to see if there is a breeze and face your openings with the breeze. That the way the breeze flows through your tent. I have camped in my Kodiak in 105 degree daytime temps, but it cooled off to 70 at night and it was fine.
            I have a 10x14 deluxe and there are 4 huge windows in the front and back. The newer vx models have huge windows on all 6 sides. So it has plenty of mesh, if there is a breeze.
            Now, if you think you can buy a canvas tent and live out of it, it's probably not going to happen. Unless you buy a military grade tent. But for kodiak's intended purpose of weekend camping trips, it's an awesome tent. Just don't expect it, or any other tent, to take the place of a permanent structure.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Mac's suggestion isn't bad, but in my opinion you can get MUCH more tent for that $470 price tag.

If you don't care about having a vestibule, the Copper Canyon really can't be beat - big and cheap with a proven track record and happy customers like NYCgrrl (but the zippers sounds like an exception).

If you prefer a vestibule for some storage space or a rain shelter option, why not try The North Face's Kaiju 6? It's new this year; same dimensions (10 x 9.7'), sturdier floor, and MUCH bigger vestibule than the Copper Canyon. TNF is a solid brand and I wouldn't hesitate buying a first model from them, but that's me.

And on top of that, both options cost less than the Tensleep (53% and 15% less, respectively).
              Last edited by Matt Palmer; 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM.
              Browse and compare (nearly) all available camping tents - The Tent Finder

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Palmer View Post
                Mac's suggestion isn't bad, but in my opinion you can get MUCH more tent for that $470 price tag.

If you don't care about having a vestibule, the Copper Canyon really can't be beat - big and cheap with a proven track record and happy customers like NYCgrrl (but the zippers sounds like an exception).

If you prefer a vestibule for some storage space or a rain shelter option, why not try The North Face's Kaiju 6? It's new this year; same dimensions (10 x 9.7'), sturdier floor, and MUCH bigger vestibule than the Copper Canyon. TNF is a solid brand and I wouldn't hesitate buying a first model from them, but that's me.

And on top of that, both options cost less than the Tensleep (53% and 15% less, respectively).
                I think I figured out what the zipper problem is for some: placing too much tension at the corner stakes which causes the zipper to pull open or dis- align the teeth. Once a year I take my lil grrlies(now 8 and 14 y/o) out for a minimum 2 week trip; they are NOT patient people and their attention spans are kinda low when it comes to these type of details that adults can clearly see a cause and effect. Sooooo to keep me from doing outdoor sewing repairs I ensure that I adjust those stakes once the roof has been raised. The clue for me is when the fabric of the tent body's corners are pointing up. If I wasn't such a lazy lima bean I'd utilise the awning to stitch a double layer at the corners' fabric. Still wish the tent had YKK zippers though.

I'm not sure what the need is for a vestibule for most cabin tents; lots of space inside by definition although I completely understand a vestibule's use for a backpack tent. Part of me thinks it makes people who started out lightweight camping feel a connection to another life....yanno like a marketing ploy.
                When I car camp I embrace the entire ethos and accept my inner and outer sprawl, LOL. Lightweight camping needs a much different design and philosophy.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-30-2014, 09:56 PM.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

This is an old design I'd run, not walk away from. The Eureka! Copper Canyon is an outdated design lacking wind and rain integrity. Its pin-and-ring fitment, D-shaped doors, thgin fiberglas poles and tiny rain fly are a design the high-end companies haven't used for years. At your price point, poly/nylon tents from EMS, REI, Sierra Designs, Marmot, A16, Mountain HardWear, Northface and Big Agnes are a generation of quality and features ahead. Look for full rain fly coverage, vestibules, color-coded setup, anodized aluminum poles, hub connectors, SwiftClips, and such similar 21st century features...You are well within the price of quality, lifetime-guaranteed tents that will last decades rather than seasons. Ebay is a good place to save a ton of money on new tents also, BTW.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Palmer View Post
                    ...in my opinion you can get MUCH more tent for that $470 price tag.
                    $376 if bought before April 14th! But I have to admit - I missed that North Face. That is a good looking tent!

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    I'm not sure what the need is for a vestibule for most cabin tents
                    For the same reason people buy add-ons for tents that offer them - extra protection from the elements and a great place to take off your boots to help keep dirt out of the tent. That's why I figure I'll eventually wind up getting the Wing Vestibule for my Kodiak. It's also nice to be able to store stuff outside to maximize the space inside. That might not be much of an issue if it's just one or two adults in a large tent but, get three or four (and maybe the dog ), and room can start to get cramped quickly.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      $376 if bought before April 14th! But I have to admit - I missed that North Face. That is a good looking tent!

For the same reason people buy add-ons for tents that offer them - extra protection from the elements and a great place to take off your boots to help keep dirt out of the tent. That's why I figure I'll eventually wind up getting the Wing Vestibule for my Kodiak. It's also nice to be able to store stuff outside to maximize the space inside. That might not be much of an issue if it's just one or two adults in a large tent but, get three or four (and maybe the dog ), and room can start to get cramped quickly.
                      If I hadn't already purchased a Paha Que screen tent, which has awnings on all sides, I could better see the need for a vestibule for a sleeping tent. As things currently stand I just abut the 2 tents and ta daaaa!-vestibule at the joining end and awning at the screen tent's entrance.
                      2017:

Comment

Working...
                      X