Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 / Backpacking tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 / Backpacking tents

I've been looking at more tent options.. I have a tent that I use for most outings with my son where I sleep solo in a 3 person tent, but have been looking for more of a backpacking tent. I have known about Big Agnes tents for some time although I haven't used one before. And noticed that the 2014 model some how shaved an extra 5-6 oz off the total weight from last years model which would bring the total 'packed' weight to 4 lbs even for the 3 person tent. 3 person meaning to me that 2 people could sleep in it or very roomy for myself.

I'm really impressed that for the size of tent that it comes in at 4 lbs and I know if you went with a footprint/ rain fly combo it would be even less (Although I like more protection not the complete minimalist as I will take comfort over weight)

But with that said, any other suggestions on a backpacking tent that can fit 2 people comfortably? Most everything that I have seen has me coming back to the BA copper spur UL 3 as one of my best options... although they are a bit pricey. Yes I know that I can get last years model for cheaper, but that also adds quite a few oz to total weight.

Just wondering if there are any other suggestions with a good combination of comfort and low weight. (Meaning I don't plan on sleeping on the ground with a tarp over me.)

Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 / Backpacking tents

As always, love those REI tents. Quarter Dome 3. 3 ounces more trail weight, but about $180 less coming out of the wallet.

Comment

I really like my Marmot Limemight 3P. Comes with the foot print, so nothing else to buy. It's the cheapest of all tents mentioned so far. But 2 pounds heavier. It has more fabric than mesh though.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I actually currently have a marmot limelight 3p tent. Its a great tent, but its actually almost 3 lbs heavier with the 'packed' weight 2lb 11 oz heavier. Its always that fine line between pack size and weight, but for a back pack seems like it takes up a lot of space... But then again it is also why I'm somewhat trying to decide if I should just be happy with what I have or if I really need a lighter or ultra light tent. One of the crazy outdoors guys said that there is no way I should do the 3p tent but instead do the 2p limelight tent... However I'm happy with the 3 person because it is a bit of an effort crouching down and getting in/out of the tent and would be even tighter in the 2 person tent. But once inside.. I'm pretty comfortable.

Comment

SMD Lunar Duo.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Kscout
            Look for a post on limelight in a compression sack that I did. The compression sack would go inside the backpack and the poles on the outside. Or do a YouTube search. It is a good way to pack your tent into your pack, regardless of what tent you go with. Can't argue about the weight.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I was able to swing a huge discount online and got the copper spur ul3. I checked with a few people at multiple places and they all seemed to really like the copper spur and for the dimensions and weight I think I will like it too. I did the ul3 because it is not much more weight than a UL2 and my sleeping bag/pad is 6'6" so I need adequate space to weight ratio.

The only bummer is that it may be Memorial weekend before I get to try it out... Hopefully I get a chance sooner than that...

Comment

Second the Lunar Duo. I love mine, light, roomy, and if setup properly condensation is not an issue. The tent does require trekking poles.

Comment

Working...
                X