Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which tent would you recommend for a small solo camper ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tent would you recommend for a small solo camper ?

Hi I would like to buy a tent that I can erect myself. I'm 5'4" 130lbs so I don't really have issues with headroom but I want a dry interior, so it has to have a really functioning rain fly. Will be using it mostly in Florida, winter and summer.

I don't really want to buy the most expensive or the cheapest. I'll be solo camping so I'm more concerned about a structure that can be erectly easily by a small person, rather the constantly having to ask the guy in the next site to give me a hand.

I've done some looking around but at places like Target and Walmart etc.. as I don't have any of the biggie camping stores nearby..Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Which tent would you recommend for a small solo camper ?

Hi, solocampa. I would say that just about any quality 2 or 3 person dome tent would fit the bill. As you're in Florida and will face some hot weather, I'd make sure you find one with lots of mesh. For ease of setup, a tent with clips instead of pole sleeves would be the best option. As far as the exact models to look for, everyone's got their favorite - you'll get as many recommendations as you do answers. I'm a big fan of REI's tents. Feature for feature, they aren't as expensive as the tents from the heavy hitters like Marmot, MSR and Big Agnes. I had an REI Half Dome 2 that weathered many a storm, so that would be my recommendation. It sets up quickly, it's sturdy and roomy and costs under $200.

Comment

Hi MacGyver, thanks, that looks like a good one with good rain protection. It gets pretty hot and humid around here in the summer, and the rain can be intense. I'll mostly be close to the water so there always seems to be a small breeze. That one also seems to have walls that are almost straight up ..

:cool:

Comment

I too am a fan of REI. I second the REI Half Dome 2 recommendation for a well made inexpensive tent. If you are looking for a tent you can stand up in then the Half Dome isn't it.

Comment

I have a Kelty one-man tent, I can't recall the name at the moment. I paid about $100 at Bass Pro for it. I tested it in an actual hurricane (well, at my latitude it was prolly just a tropical storm). Oh yeah, Crestone 1, that is the name. Anyway, I stayed dry. It is not freestanding, but it packs quite small. I eventually replaced it with a SMD Lunar Solo (less than 1/2 the weight). I haven't storm tested the SMD but it IS roomier than the Kelty. Also quite a bit more expensive. I'm not wealthy (stupid) enough to go with Cuben Fiber tho'.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The main thing to remember is that the manufacturer recommendations are for sardine like conditions. A 2 man sleeps 1 man and gear, a 3 or 4 man sleeps 2 comfortably, and do on. I bought my son an rei half dome plus. That would be a good 2 person tent, so I would recommend the regular half dome for 1 person. I like my marmot limelight 3p tent, so I would also suggest the limelight 2pm tent. I could see the extra weight issue if you are backpacking, but I still would compare weights of a 1p VS 2p.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I should add that I will not be backpacking so bulk and weight is not an issue. I'll be in a small SUV with a kayak. I'll most probably be staying in one place for a few days i.e. visiting varies places in the Keys and different 'Springs' in the interior of Fla. My 2 priorities is staying dry and ease of putting it up.

thanks for the replies so far. I'm new here so I'm not sure how these posts work. I'm sure I replied to McGyver last night but I don't see it anywhere

Comment

as a New person here...man this forum is slow !! I've made a couple of replies and I'm just not seeing any of them. Any minute now I'm just going to lose interest and go find another sandbox to play in.

Comment

Might look at the Ozark Trail instant tents. They have a rain fly and can be put up by one person. They come in cabin or dome style -cabin is more square sided. They go from 4 person to a twelve person size.

I solo tent camp and I am five foot tall. I am looking at this 8 person one myself to move up from my 4 person Coleman instant tent so I can keep a table inside. The four person size is good for a cot, chair and a couple of stools for footrests/nightstands, but I want to be able to work inside at a table if it is raining & this one is a good price. If you are car camping, it might work for you.
                  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Tent/22281728
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                    Might look at the Ozark Trail instant tents. They have a rain fly and can be put up by one person. They come in cabin or dome style -cabin is more square sided. They go from 4 person to a twelve person size.

I solo tent camp and I am five foot tall. I am looking at this 8 person one myself to move up from my 4 person Coleman instant tent so I can keep a table inside. The four person size is good for a cot, chair and a couple of stools for footrests/nightstands, but I want to be able to work inside at a table if it is raining & this one is a good price. If you are car camping, it might work for you.
                    When it comes to the Ozark Trails tents a lot of people don't like them. I dont have a problem with them (I actually own one) but you have to know what you are getting. Don't expect much warranty or customer support. Definitely nothing like you get with the REI or Kodiak tents. I tell people that once you buy it take it home and set it up in the yard to make sure everything is there. Seal the seams while you have it up and if you can run it under the sprinklers for an hour or so that is even better. If you have a problem with it you can take it back to the store for a refund or exchange. Beyond that, you are on your own.

I personally think they are fine for the mild climates here in AZ and would probably do well in Florida too.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

What do you use to seal the seams ?

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      When it comes to the Ozark Trails tents a lot of people don't like them. I dont have a problem with them (I actually own one) but you have to know what you are getting. Don't expect much warranty or customer support. Definitely nothing like you get with the REI or Kodiak tents. I tell people that once you buy it take it home and set it up in the yard to make sure everything is there. Seal the seams while you have it up and if you can run it under the sprinklers for an hour or so that is even better. If you have a problem with it you can take it back to the store for a refund or exchange. Beyond that, you are on your own.

I personally think they are fine for the mild climates here in AZ and would probably do well in Florida too.

Comment

Thanks. A neighbor of mine has a smaller Ozark, and when I examined it the flooring material looked like 'blue tarp' (except it was black) it didn't look like it would last. He has used it a couple times and I could see stress around the seams, the material pulling away from the seam line where the flooring met the walls.

Originally posted by actad View Post

Comment

Can anyone tell me why my replies are not making it past the moderator:

Comment

I know that it's hard to find good tents in most areas. Besides Walmart and Target there just aren't very many camping specialty stores. If you want to see several different affordable styles of tents with customer reviews check out my site below. We ship to just about anywhere and you won't have to wait for a month to get it. Hope you enjoy camping in Florida! After the long winter here in the midwest Florida sounds like heaven!
                            campingandcarts

Comment

Most 2-3 person dome tents are easy to set up, can be done by one person. Also, I use a ceiling tent fan helps move the air around, keeps it a bit cooler. Goes for about $15.00.

Comment

Working...
                              X