Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping: March 2009

Howdy,
    I started this title under the general camping chat, and since it hasn't been moved here, this is just a quick update on the fox's tent camping lifestyle. We went to six mile cove, Lake Mojave, Nevada between March 18-24th. That trip was good and also had some bad points. So to make up for it when we left 6-mile cove(too many people free camping; too much noise) we found a very nice secluded spot a few hours from there and 4x4 low to get into and we are going there today for the weekend. I'm not saying where and I am not giving out coordinates, although my bride loves her Garmin GPS unit. Yipee, tent camping again!!!:D We'll chat again soon, thanks for lookin!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

vegasdesertfox you almost sound like a desertrat :D, you tell us its a few hours from 6 mile cove , 4x4 low is needed, and deny the coordinates ..... just wets the appetite .... maybe you should leave clues and see who shows up.:cool:
    Hope it is a good weekend there, many inches of rain here
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Brent, I am betting y'all had a great time once you took "the road less travelled"!
      I've been reading on various Internet sites that camping this year seems to have really taken off - lots more people out there - so we have to more careful about where we go, if we desire privacy.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Tc-309

Howdy Hey,
        Best weekend ever! Allow me to repeat that: BEST WEEKEND EVER!!!

Las Vegas valley has over 2 million people leaving in it and we(bride & I) have found a cove on Lake Mojave that is only 1 & 1/2 hours(as the crow flies) from our driveway and not another person around for miles! While exploring our little hideaway, I found a spring, signs of beaver chewing on limbs; a small beaver dam, hummingbirds(Anna's and caliopes, an eagle nest(abandoned), a pack of 19 coyotes, and the dung of a grey wolve(i think). We also saw 37 big horn sheep but they were too high on a cliff to really get to except the counting! Wow! I apologize for not giving away locations, but in a couple of days I've got photos, it's our little hideaway. I talked to some park rangers who ask not to be identified and they even told me they have never told anyone about this place! Unbelieveable!!!
        From the lake side, the cove is not very big, so many people on the lake pass it up. In fact, Lake Mojave(Mohave) doesn't get as much tourist traffic as Lake Mead which is a lot closer to Las Vegas. To most folks, Lake Mojave has Cottonwood Cove to the north and Katherine's Landing on the south and has a 160 mile shoreline of empty desert wasteland. Not true! There is great beauty to be found there along the small coves and inlets!

It was way after dark when we finally arrived at our little cove and we drove to it. But it was worth every dusty minute on the small trail to get there! What a great weekend! Not another living soul for miles! I know a lot of off-roaders and where they go, they have never been there. The park rangers said that the original vault toilet was built there in 1965 and we found it to be the cleaniest vault toilet we have ever seen! Okay, I'll at least tell you that it is on and off of a 45 mile two track trail, which requires at least 8 miles of 4-wheel low! That's it, pictures will follow! We are heading back there for our Easter! Heaven on Earth for a camper!!!

We also were fortunate to spend the weekend there between storm fronts and Lake Mojave turned to gl**** completely flat water and we paddled over 7 miles to and from on Saturday afternoon to actually see a couple of beavers(no photos, I wasn't quick enough) but the water was like glass! What a great place!
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Glad you had a great weekend.
          sounds like the find of a lifetime ..... I hope you get to enjoy it for a long time
          waiting for the pics
          2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
          2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
          I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Working...
          X