Looking to buy REI Kingdom 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy REI Kingdom 8

Hi! I am new to the forum but have spent hours reading many of the very informative threads you guys have here.

I have a quick question. I have done my research on a new tent and am settled on the REI Kingdom 8. I was wondering, how often do these go on sale? I read on some of the threads that they had a 20% sale last fall. What is your experience with when the next sale will be?

Thanks for your feedback.

Re: Looking to buy REI Kingdom 8

That's one of the ones we are considering.... I'm interested to see if someone knows.

Comment

Hi y'all. I bought the tent in Jan 2013, and in Feb. bought a membership for 20.00. They then sent me a coupon, which I put toward the garage (be sure to get it). They then either sent me another coupon, or had a sale on the footprint, which I also bought. I was very happy with the deals I got. Oh yeah, we spent 13 nights in it last year, and had no problems. Have fun.
      Nights camping in 2013-----12
      Nights camping in 2014----- 4
      Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Originally posted by gatordude View Post
        Hi y'all. I bought the tent in Jan 2013, and in Feb. bought a membership for 20.00. They then sent me a coupon, which I put toward the garage (be sure to get it). They then either sent me another coupon, or had a sale on the footprint, which I also bought. I was very happy with the deals I got. Oh yeah, we spent 13 nights in it last year, and had no problems. Have fun.
        Thanks! I was planning on getting the membership, since we would get more than the cost of the membership back. We were going to get the garage too, but we'll wait on it.

Comment

Good choice. We've got the K6 and had gotten a Queen blow-up mattress. It was just a hair to large to be able to close the divider, so now we've gotten a full size. That will save us 5 inches, and that will be enough. With the K8 there should be no problem. Also, make sure your campsite is large enough.

Comment

We've got the queen air mattress that's raised, like a bed... hopefully it fits, we love that one.

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by pstevens View Post
                We've got the queen air mattress that's raised, like a bed... hopefully it fits, we love that one.
                Hopefully, it won't fit and you'll go out and buy some self-inflating air mattresses...or a Buddy heater or electric blanket to compensate for the cold. Cots and (hollow tube) air mattresses have thermal-negative R-ratings of 0.75. Self-inflating sleeping pads like a ThermaRest CampRest are neutral at 5.0. What's going on is the cold outside air migrates into the air mattress until they are the same temperature. Since you're sleeping on them, they are also sucking the heat out of you. This is simple thermodynamics...if you're a summer camper, you needn't bother with R-values and comfortable sleeping.
                Last edited by tplife; 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Hopefully, it won't fit and you'll go out and buy some self-inflating air mattresses...or a Buddy heater or electric blanket to compensate for the cold. Cots and (hollow tube) air mattresses have thermal-negative R-ratings of 0.75. Self-inflating sleeping pads like a ThermaRest CampRest are neutral at 5.0. What's going on is the cold outside air migrates into the air mattress until they are the same temperature. Since you're sleeping on them, they are also sucking the heat out of you. This is simple thermodynamics...if you're a summer camper, you needn't bother with R-values and comfortable sleeping.
                  Question. If I'm camping in colder weather (Mn fall) and I have a cot, what's the best way to prepare/insulate?

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                    Question. If I'm camping in colder weather (Mn fall) and I have a cot, what's the best way to prepare/insulate?
                    First thing to do is to hook up the bulk propane can to your heater... :p

If going without heat, the answer is the same as how to best dress for cold - layers. Start with a closed cell foam mat and a self inflating pad, both with the highest R value you can find/afford/carry. Top it off with a sleeping bag rated to the temperature you'll be camping in. In all the reading I did to find the perfect cot, I think I also saw where people were hanging different materials underneath their cots to further add to the layers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really love this forum. We ended up getting the Kingdom 8 with the garage and threw in a couple of REI camp bed 3.5 self inflating pads to throw on our queen cot. We test drove all of it on our trip to Kissimmee State Park a couple of weeks ago. The tent was amazing, could not believe how much room we have and super easy to set up. It packs away to nothing, especially for the size. Kelly calls it the Shangri La. I concur. Very luxurious and well made. Well worth the money.

Now our next trip is in the Florida panhandle. Haven't camped there before and looking for some new spots. I would also like to get into some nice cold weather camping in the mountains at some point. I know this will require some different gear since we are used to camping in Florida but frankly, I prefer cold weather and am looking forward to it.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the Kingdom 8, we highly recommend it. Next time we set up our campsite, we will post some pictures.

Comment

I called REI awhile back and they said the next membership 20% off sale is at the end of March.

We didn't want to wait (just ordered the kingdom 6 and garage) so we signed up for their email offers at the bottom and it sent us a 15% off coupon. Should get here today!!!
                        Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                        Nights under the stars:
                        2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                        2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

We hope y'all like yours as well as we like ours. Can't wait to be able to get out camping. DW just had gallbladder surgery two days ago.

Comment

Nice looking and featured tent! I think the next gear sale will be in March.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Coming in June
                              http://www.rei.com/promotions/garage-sale

Comment

Working...
                              X