Need advice on setting up canvas in frozen ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on setting up canvas in frozen ground

I camp in winter where temps can be below zero F.

Usually, I camp in free standing tents and use deadman stakes that I just bury in the snow

Now, I want to bring a group and set up a big old-school family sized canvas tent. It definitely needs stakes

Last year, I used some steel stakes. They pounded into the ground OK, but getting them out of the frozen ground was a nightmare

Does anybody have suggestions? Will deadman branches/etc buried in snow hold for a big heavy canvas tent?

I remember someone suggesting bringing a propane torch to heat up the stakes for removal, but I cannot envision using a torch on the stakes without burning the tent or the stake loops

Ideas/Suggestions?

Re: Need advice on setting up canvas in frozen ground

You could take a separate cord to tie to the end of the tent guy lines. Something you can cut and throw away when it is time to pull up the stakes. That way you can heat the stakes up without damaging the tents guy lines.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Re: Need advice on setting up canvas in frozen ground

Originally posted by James. View Post
      You could take a separate cord to tie to the end of the tent guy lines. Something you can cut and throw away when it is time to pull up the stakes. That way you can heat the stakes up without damaging the tents guy lines.
      s
      That is a smart idea and easy. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X