camp security etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camp security etc.

First time posting here.I'm from Upper Michigan and have been going to Montana for fishing the last few years.Have been staying at a friends in Lewistown but he moved so last trip stayed at a rented cabin.At 120.00 a night it's not going to be something I can afford all the time so am looking at getting into tent camping.I've read some posts on tents and like the kodiak flex bow because it sounds like it would last a lifetime.One of my questions is,when you setup camp either at a campground or in the wilder areas how do you deal with going places.Do you leave the camp setup with the valuable stuff going with you?Do you break down camp when you want to travel around during the day.My fishing area is a 100 mile radius of Lewistown and want to stay at the same place each night.I can't see taking down camp everytime I want to go fishing for the afternoon.Any thoughts on this would be greatly appriciated. RJD

Re: camp security etc.

I would invest in some lockable containers for your supplies and either put them in your tent when you leave or put them in your vehicle. I wouldn't bother taking your tent down.

Comment

Right. Keep your most valuable stuff with you like your wallet. Most stuff like tents, sleeping bags, stoves, and stuff like that people will not steal. You are more prone to theft in the more accessible areas like campgrounds where people have car access.

Still, think about it. Theft is done by a very small minority of people even in urban settings. Once you get into a camping and wilderness setting, the type of people who steal things is even further diminished and even lessened from there in the low traffic. Sure, theft has happened at campsites, but it is uncommon, in fact.

The vast majority of crime, especially theft, is associated with drugs - people stealing things they can quickly liquidate for cash. Druggies rarely go camping or go to campgrounds looking for stuff they can steal and pawn quickly.

It is sad that we go camping to leave the city behind us, but we bring our city concerns with us in our heads.

Comment

good points.I'd never leave the small expensive stuff behind,but I was concerned about the tent cots etc.I usually go west before and after the main camping seasons so that might help also.Thank you!!

Comment

I agree that most theft happens in urban settings. If you are on a back packing trip parked in a remote parking lot, you may want to think twice about leaving a lot valuables locked in the car as knuckleheads know about these long term parking lots. People that back pack usually have money. They driver cars that work (imagine that?)

On the other hand, if you are staying in a campground, it's unlikely that anyone will steal your sleeping bags, coolers, lanterns etc. I am sure that happens and when it does, it's just the cost of going camping or "doing business". I have been camping for 40+ years and the only things that were ever stolen from me were a set of bicycle tools that were attached to my locked bicycle. I was camping in a rest area on the border of Mexico. I locked my bicycle either in the bathroom or near the bathroom (this was 1985). Total loss was less than $20.

Most things in life are replaceable. I keep my family safe and in plain view. I can always buy another sleeping bag or cooler.

I keep my wallet and cell phones with me. We cover everything of value. My van has limo tint, so there is nothing ever in plain view. Plus the van is old and kind of ugly. It does not draw attention.
          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
          sigpic

Comment

Most valuables I carry on my person, cellphone, wallet, camera would stay with me. If I go to the beach or on the river for the day, I would lock that stuff in my vehicle or keep it with me in a waterproof case.

My pickup has a locking tool box in the bed, that I typically will clear out for camping, gives me a place to put my boombox and lanterns if I'm leaving the site for the day. Some people I know put luggage locks on their tent zippers, seems foolish to me, a knife will get into any tent.

I always lock my grill and propane tanks to a tree. I try to hide my beer cooler, to avoid teenagers partying on my supply.

A few times I've set up my trail camera in the bushes to monitor my site while I was gone, in case of unwanted guests. :cool:
            sigpic

Comment

Good ideas.I was thinking the trail cam myself,as I have two of them.

Comment

Working...
              X